Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 11:10 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

One evening several years ago I was visiting a friend who had several cars in his garage. We were just talking about cars or something in the driveway; the garage door was open. We suddenly noticed some flickering light coming from the rear seat area of his classic VW Bug. It was sitting in the garage next to something like a Ford F250 pickup. The interior was on fire! Scottie knew that I always carried a FE in my cars and grabbed my Halon one from my van, handed it to me and I proceed to extinguish the fire that had broken out in the rear seat area of his Bug. Had I not stopped off to see him, be BSing in the driveway for some time, the Bug would have ignited the entire garage and possibly taken out the entire house. I became a big believer in helping yourself to fire control!

Apparently, his Bug had been in for service and the servicing shup failed to reinsert a critical piece of plastic insultator between where the battery resides in a Beetle and the metal framework of the rear seat of a Bug. It heated up sufficiently to ignite the horsehair or whatever stuffing they use in that application. Timing,--and a FE.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:50 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well said. The time to prepare for safety is before you need it!!
Old 07-17-2006, 10:56 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

well said dan.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:08 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone have more detailed pics of this option. Also, has anyone had this factory extinguisher installed using OEM Porsche parts and what did it cost? I called Sunset in OR and the parts alone were about $350., no labor. I need to get one installed looking for the cleanest way to go. Any thoughts?

TIA
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you do a search on our Rennlist --> there is a third party fire extinguisher for our vehicles (yellow, red, chrome) that mounts down there - looks very, very nice!

On my Cayenne the extinguisher is in a tray under the passenger seat. Didn't order one for the Boxster or 991 but might be a good ideal - nice to have if you need to egress the vehicle after something happens and you need to put out a little fire before one get's cooked...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:02 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Here are some pictures (sorry about the quality) of the factory installed extinguisher.
Attached Images    
Old 12-07-2006, 11:20 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thank you. Do you know if the mounting is metal to metal under the seat? Is the tray plastic that the extinguisher sits in?

Thanks for your help.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:27 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I went through this with both PCA and the service manager at my dealership before ordering the option. The response is that yes, the Porsche OEM extinguisher meets the requirements of PCA events. Metal on metal mounting.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:56 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Ron. If I knew then what I know now I would have ordered one with the car. $140. option with the car and about $500. to retrofit now. Never thought I would have a use for one.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:00 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

It feels like plastic to me. Will check it closer shortly.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I knew I could find the fire extinguiisher and it's mount and better yet you can purchase it from Sharkwerks who is one of Rennlist's sponsers...

Click here for a great Porsche Fire Extinguisher bottle and mount - better or as good as OEM!!!

At least in my opinon that is...
Old 12-07-2006, 03:06 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
I went through this with both PCA and the service manager at my dealership before ordering the option. The response is that yes, the Porsche OEM extinguisher meets the requirements of PCA events. Metal on metal mounting.
Interesting, because Powertech (in NJ) failed my OEM fire extinguisher saying that the factory mount wasn't metal-to-metal.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The extinguisher (factory) fits inside a conformal PLASTIC holder. I would imagine the reason it is plastic is for weight savings. It certainly seems strong enough to me. Is the PCA ruling for metal driven by a safety concern? (lack of strength of something other than metal?)
Old 12-08-2006, 08:24 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

From PCA: 10. Fire extinguishers are mandatory for all run groups and must be securely fastened, metal to metal (minimum 2.5 pound, with two strap metal bracket recommended) within reach of the driver. This requirement is waived for first time participants for one event only

Note - key words are securely fastened, metal to metal (mount). They recommend two strap metal, but that is not a requirement, thus the nylon strap conforms.

From somebody that has one: The way it looks to me is you have the metal frame and tracks of the seat, and then you have a metal bracket which is bolted to that (near the tracks) and the extinguisher is held on to that bracket with a quick release.

From PCA: The OEM fire extinguisher you ordered with your car meets our requirements.

Based on those assurances, I left the fire extinguisher on my order. Getting another opinion certainly can't hurt.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

I would have ordered with the car if I knew I had interest in these driving events. Trying to retrofit the OEM unit after the fact is confusing as no two Porsche parts people can agree on what comes if you order all necessary parts and all parts are not available and are on back order from Germany.

I ended up going with the mount and quick release as shown in the first thread and the Safecraft FE as shown in the second thread. I will take pictures and let you know how it turns out once I receive the parts.

Thanks for the help.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=66257

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...nguisher+mount

Quick Reply: Any pictures of Porsche fire extinguisher?