Sponsored by:

H&R springs installed on PASM car

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 12:30 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default H&R springs installed on PASM car

Had the springs installed at the same time as new tires (PSCs in 235 and 305). Alignment as well. Camber is about 1.2 in front, 2.5 in rear; zero toe in front, a few minutes toe-in in the rear. Hopefully these specs will give less understeer mid-corner and better tire wear.

The ride height in front looks about the same as other 997s I've seen, but the rear on my car is a little lower than I expected. Looks fine, though. I only have 40 miles, but so far I've noticed:

- Ride is noticeably firmer in regular mode
- Difference between normal and sport is not nearly as vast
- No noise or squeaks
- A little less bobbing during steady cornering, car seems a little better planted.

I'm looking forward to getting the car on the track with the new springs and tires. I'll report back with findings.

Old 07-14-2006, 12:35 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i cant tell the difference - sorry
Old 07-14-2006, 12:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Now that's a nice Black/Terra!

Looks like you set it up for tracking.

Looks really sharp. But what I'm diggin' is your house!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by robbonds
i cant tell the difference - sorry
It's noticeably much lower in the rear, and I can tell it's lower in the front as well. Pretty much what others have achieved with these springs.

I think it looks sharp.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Dro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it looks WAY better than stock.
Nice job!
Old 07-14-2006, 01:23 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

You have the best looking interior I've seen yet on a 997.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:12 PM
DrDrilZ
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

like every other setup ive seen, its noticeably lower in the front than the rear. maybe some spacers now? btw, nice car and house
Old 07-14-2006, 02:45 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 66 Posts

Great looking car..

I don't know if I will lower my 997TT. I have full H&R coilovers on my 993 and I have to be VERY careful driving around town. My chin spoiler is not very happy with me.

on another note, the PCCB. Would you do it again? Buy them I mean? I'm about to buy a Turbo that doesn't have them and am wondering your thoughts.

B
Old 07-14-2006, 10:43 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments, guys. Scraping the front spoiler isn't a concern for me; I don't drive around town very much, and when I do I'm pretty careful. My M3 was lower than this 997, no worries.

PCCB is fantastic. I've pushed them as hard as anyone - Sebring in the summer, need I say more. For the first seven or eight laps (that's 3.7 miles per lap for those keeping score), the system is amazing: rock solid pedal, zero fade, stopping distances are easily estimated, can dive-bomb into braking zones without concern, the ABS threshold is easy to discern. My brakes are bone-stock with the exception of GS610 fluid. Standard Porsche street PCCB pads. I can run 2:36s at that track all day long on street tires, and a better driver can easily get the car in the 2:30-32 range. That is brisk.

Compared to stock calipers/rotors on a 996TT with GS610, stainless lines, and Pagid Black, I'd say the PCCB is a better system because of shorter stopping distances, easier pedal modulation, and less susceptibility to rotor wear.

I would absolutely buy PCCB again. That's $8k well spent, better spent than toward X51, I'd say. Any of my Porsches which will see regular track use, in my book, must have PCCB.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:45 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add: after 7 or 8 laps, the pedal begins to get soft. Take it easy for two or three turns, let things cool down, then beat on it again. Smooth sailing. So far, PCCB really is a phenomenal system for me.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:40 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Love the new look now that it's lower! I've always thought the rear looks very high on my C2S as well. Front stock is not too bad, but not GT3 capable looking.

I too have PCCB's and love these things except for some noise now that now may be a bearing. I get a whining noise now and then. So much for my issue. These brakes are the best I've ever felt! Only downside is when soaking wet, they need to dry or you get a real eye opener as you mash the pedal and... NOTHING for a few seconds. But when they get good and hot, it's at the perfect height for heel/toe work!

I'd love to have lowering springs, but as you can tell, I have an Aerokit and really do like the ride height of the GT3. Problem is driving it around town is a PITA on steep angled driveways. Got smart and purchased a GT3 lip since these are a matte black and original ones for my kit from factory are primed and have to be re-shot color. Seeing I will go through these, the GT3 ones are the way to go. Damn I really like the lowered look and the feel must be outstanding!

Nice seats! I wanted the GT seats, but could not get them. Interesting color combo for interior. I went full black in interior, but yellow seatbelts to accent the PCCB's. I also have the crest in the headrest. Would have been nice if they offered them in color, now that would look sharp!

How do you like the 305's on the rear? Did you install any spacers? So far, how much better are the new Camber and Toe-In settings? Any better wear on tires? Speaking of tires, man, those new Cup tires when hot are sticky as all hell! They suck when cold or wet.

Enjoy the new ride! Looks really nice!! Good luck!

Regards,
Deanski
Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 AM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking ride! You will enjoy the car much, much more on the track now. By the way, how are those seats for driving around town? I would like to put some in the new car when it comes, but I intend to drive it around town quite a bit, as well as on the track.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:24 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

spacers: I don't have them, and I don't really see a need for 10mm total of extra track. My driving skills aren't at the point where I'd notice it, and I don't like the basic idea of running spacers. Wheel offsets should be perfect for the application, IMO. I can't tell the tires are 305s as opposed to 295s either. I'll have to get the car on the track before I really make any qualified statements.

The GT3 seats are comfortable for me (6'0, 165lbs), but there are some caveats.

- Visibility over your left shoulder (facing forward, the driver's side rear of the car) is ZERO. If you're used to looking over your left shoulder when you change lanes, these seats will take some getting used to.

- Getting in and out of the seats is still a, shall we say, unelegant process. I'd never take a girl out in this car if she were wearing a skirt.

- Once you're in the seats, you're in. That means you can't shift your weight from side to side or change seating positions. The seats also push your shoulders forward to promote an 'arms out' driving position, i.e. hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel. This can be either comfortable or uncomfortable for you, depending on how you drive.
Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
. . . The GT3 seats are comfortable for me (6'0, 165lbs), but there are some caveats.

- Visibility over your left shoulder (facing forward, the driver's side rear of the car) is ZERO. If you're used to looking over your left shoulder when you change lanes, these seats will take some getting used to. . .
I guess there's no need to look over your left shoulder when changing lanes, if you're going fast enough?

Quick Reply: H&R springs installed on PASM car