Drive it like you stole it: BREAK IN PERIODS

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Drive it like you stole it: BREAK IN PERIODS

Greetings all,

A topic of conversation has come up on one of my previous threads and I wanted to pose a question to some of you Pcar owners.
- This topic is not geared for the "garage queen/blvd. cruiser owner" but for the driving enthusiasts out there who really PUSH there cars to do what they were designed for.

- My argument (open for debate) is that a car (within common sense reason) should be driven hard and broken in the way you plan to drive it for the rest of it's life. The term, drive it like you stole it

With synthetic oils, fuel injectors, technology/fly by wire, etc... You should be programming your car to understand the way you plan to drive it. You should also do a couple heat cycles on the brakes to get the pad to form to the rotor.
And, if something is going to break because the car is driven hard, let that thing break in the first few hundred miles.. This way Porsche will need to fix it and fix it right..

So, what are your thoughts.. Drive it like a baby or drive it like you......

B
Old 07-13-2006, 06:23 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

While the motors ARE bench tested at high RPM for time before you get it, the break in is for allowing the seals to SEAL properly.

Those that have suffered the dreaded RMS (not all) can probably be attributed to either (1) not driving enough casuing the seals to dry out and leak, and, (2) improper break-in so the seals dind't seat properly.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Wasn't taking a chance with my new P-Car. Just turned 2K miles.......
Old 07-13-2006, 06:45 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

As Dell says...it depends on what you want to break-in. For example...new turbos...you want to be very careful. To seat the seals properly again be careful. I do agree that the procedure Porsche recommends is perhaps overly cautious and I also agree that any "infant mortals" (excuse the reliability jargon) are best erradicated with some serious "burn-in". That being said...there are two distinct sides to this break-in question.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Break her in following Porsche's rules with a few excurssions to 5-6 every now and then and everything will be fine!
Old 07-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Break-in goes beyond the engine and brakes, it involves the transmission and differential too. My advice is to abide by the manufacture's B/I period. Why take a chance and increase the odds of problems when you don't have to?

Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did my 2,000mi break in 3 days by doing a road trip....

In 25,000mi I've used <2qt of oil.

Did the same with my 996 as well with similar results.

Old 07-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As much as I'd like to believe the "drive-it-like-you-stole-it" break-in is good for a new car, I just can't bring myself to believe it. I also don't subscribe to the "strictly-by-the-book" break-in, at least the part about keeping rpms below 4200 for 2000 miles. My understanding is that you will be moving from a 993 to a 997 TT. If so, you'll also need a period of break-in to the much more powerful car. I don't want to read about you totaling your new car, especially if the news comes from someone else because you're unable to post. Hear that, and don't make me come out there.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

I don't see any reason to second guess the folks that designed, extensively tested, and warranty the car. Broke it in by the book just as I have with all of my cars, and none have burned any oil or suffered mechanical or performance deficiencies.

But, to each his own...
Old 07-13-2006, 08:22 PM
kauai_diver
Straight to Video
Rennlist Member

Drive it like you stole it after 2000 miles. I put close to 2000 miles in 3 weeks
Old 07-13-2006, 08:44 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Beatin' a dead horse, is that what you're trying to say, Kurt? LOL Yeah, I know what you mean.

For more info on the subject matter, see here: (yawwwn)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=breakin

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=break

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=breakin

Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B-Line
Greetings all,

A topic of conversation has come up on one of my previous threads and I wanted to pose a question to some of you Pcar owners.
- This topic is not geared for the "garage queen/blvd. cruiser owner" but for the driving enthusiasts out there who really PUSH there cars to do what they were designed for.

- My argument (open for debate) is that a car (within common sense reason) should be driven hard and broken in the way you plan to drive it for the rest of it's life. The term, drive it like you stole it

With synthetic oils, fuel injectors, technology/fly by wire, etc... You should be programming your car to understand the way you plan to drive it. You should also do a couple heat cycles on the brakes to get the pad to form to the rotor.
And, if something is going to break because the car is driven hard, let that thing break in the first few hundred miles.. This way Porsche will need to fix it and fix it right..

So, what are your thoughts.. Drive it like a baby or drive it like you......

B

I was red lining the car in the first 500 miles.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I pretty much follow the rules but do exceed the speed and rpm's a little during my cars break in.

Here is something to think about:

5 house down from me my neighbor has a 05 C4S. I was talking to him the other day about my new car on it's way and we talked about break in. He said F it drive it hard it's a lease and is going back in 2 years anyway...who cares!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Full throttle very early on will solidly seat the rings while the cylinder walls are still slightly abrasive. That's good and there's been a ton of material written about it. When you floor the throttle, you substantially increase combustion pressure which forces the piston rings outward into the cylinder wall. This helps them seal tightly since there is a bit of material removed from the ring and cylinder, especially early on when the cylinder walls are lightly scored and abrasive from the honing process.

On the other hand, I'd keep the RPM's in check for at least 500-1000 miles. High RPM's in a "tight" engine are far more damaging than occasional full throttle at lower RPM's. Revving a tight engine generates tons of heat which causes already tight parts to expand and become tighter. This can cause mild seizures which may not make themselves known but can result in all sorts or problems over time.

MC
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 PM
MMD
Banned

Follow rules as in manual but after 1000 miles go to 5200rpm instead off 4200. 5200 makes it very painless to do the second 1000.

Quick Reply: Drive it like you stole it: BREAK IN PERIODS