Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can someone please tell me what color this is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I got the lecture the other day at Zuffenhausen. They do purposely attempt to run the same color through in XX quantities before moving on to another color,--that sort of drives production sequence, at least in the paint portion of production. The Paint To Sample cars are done in the same paint facility as all the others I suspect mostly because maintaining a special paint booth for one-off colors would be cost prohibitive. They want to keep all the resources fully occupied.

Material wise, a Paint To Sample is not really what drives the price,--it's obviously the set up time and diversion of that equipment away from producing several more standard colors while messing around with a special PTS car. (Although some will correctly tell you that some colors from strictly a paint material perspective are costlier than others,--for example, I believe red pigments cost more than blue...)

If I can find the XX number in my notes from last month I'll update this thread. I think it's only something like 2 or 3 (before they have to clear the lines). It's not that big a deal.

Although Porsche won't tell you this, I suspect in time they will raise the price of PTS as it is so disruptive to their production 'routine' that some bean counter at Zuff will eventually convince them that it's just not worth it anymore,--and then another unique characteristic of Porsche AG will fall by the wayside. They have something like 330 production days a year, and are presently running two shifts a day (with 150 cars a day as the result) and are keeping production at that level so as to guarantee quality levels.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:33 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Like Rodney Dangerfield to Judge Smails; "looks good on you though..."
That is a CLASSIC scene.
The "did somebody step on a duck?" that follows always makes me LMAO.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

For the record, I think Porsche has offered: Signal Green, Signal Orange and Signal Yellow in the past.
I'm partial to yellow but I think the green looks pretty cool...I am thinking orange on my next p-car (unless that turns out to be a Cayenne for my wife,...I think a Signal Orange 2 1/2 ton Cayenne might frighten people,...and as a birthday gift could cost me my marriage).
Old 07-13-2006, 06:54 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Is that the actual sticker for that car or another car? There is NO aero kit charge which if installed after the fact would suck trying to paint match!
Yes it is. Looks like they added the aero kit at the dealer. How they matched that paint is beyond the beyond I am sure that was not an easy match.
Attached Images  
Old 07-13-2006, 06:56 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I got the lecture the other day at Zuffenhausen. They do purposely attempt to run the same color through in XX quantities before moving on to another color,--that sort of drives production sequence, at least in the paint portion of production. The Paint To Sample cars are done in the same paint facility as all the others I suspect mostly because maintaining a special paint booth for one-off colors would be cost prohibitive. They want to keep all the resources fully occupied.

Material wise, a Paint To Sample is not really what drives the price,--it's obviously the set up time and diversion of that equipment away from producing several more standard colors while messing around with a special PTS car. (Although some will correctly tell you that some colors from strictly a paint material perspective are costlier than others,--for example, I believe red pigments cost more than blue...)

If I can find the XX number in my notes from last month I'll update this thread. I think it's only something like 2 or 3 (before they have to clear the lines). It's not that big a deal.

Although Porsche won't tell you this, I suspect in time they will raise the price of PTS as it is so disruptive to their production 'routine' that some bean counter at Zuff will eventually convince them that it's just not worth it anymore,--and then another unique characteristic of Porsche AG will fall by the wayside. They have something like 330 production days a year, and are presently running two shifts a day (with 150 cars a day as the result) and are keeping production at that level so as to guarantee quality levels.
Very insteresting thank you for that Dan.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

They sure did upcharge the crap outta the kit didn't they? $6990 is the retail price on that painted from the factory!!! And I know that places like my old dealer in Vegas were selling it for 4995.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:19 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

They sure did upcharge the crap outta the kit didn't they? $6990 is the retail price on that painted from the factory!!! And I know that places like my old dealer in Vegas were selling it for 4995.
You not kidding, look at what they are charging for red seat belts, $1400. Could that be right I thought that option was around $500???
Old 07-13-2006, 07:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Maybe the betls were paint to sample as well

Wow! This guy really got bent over.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:17 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More Paint to sample:
Old 07-13-2006, 09:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

What is that? Cotton Candy Pink?
Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is that? Cotton Candy Pink?
LOL. Dunno. Maybe "Bubble Gum" for those aspiring to be like Paris Hilton?
Old 07-13-2006, 10:48 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Porsche has decided to produce a few retro colored cars, reflective of the 70's. I read about it in Excellence magazine.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:29 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I like your choice of Speed Yellow, My buddy had a 996 GT3 in Speed and it looked increadible. Nice choice and probably better resale value than the green
I'm very happy and excited about the yellow. I have always wanted a bright, canary yellow sports car. I was dead set on the yellow E46 M3 until I found out the US didn't get the yellow that the Europeans got (we got the goldish-mustard yellow) - I was heart broken. So I'm really looking forward to this order with all the interior yellow bits.

And despite what I said about green cars, my MINI Cooper S order was going to be for a red/black model until I saw the British Racing Green color on a showroom car and changed my order on the spot.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:30 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
If you don't like that one how 'bout this one?
Ooooohh!! I like that event better! Highlighter green!

EDIT: Awwww...I liked it better before I read the follow-up post about it being a p-shop. BTW, the red belts are $540. $1,400...that's some serious mark-up.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:49 PM
shaynes
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Signal green is an old school Porsche color and that guy who had the ***** to do that deserves a hand.. That ROCKS

Quick Reply: Can someone please tell me what color this is?