C6 Corvette and 997/S as Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C6 Corvette and 997/S as Daily Drivers

So,

Last edited by MMD; 08-03-2006 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

enought vette talk already - lets get back to porsches
Old 07-13-2006, 10:37 AM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by robbonds
enought vette talk already - lets get back to porsches
It's not "vette talk."

It's a focussed question on how the C6 AND PORSCHE 997 compare as daily drivers.

Ignore it if you're burned out on "Drove My Neighbors New Z-06... ."

Old 07-13-2006, 11:12 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
So, it seems the Z-06 is a bad choice as a daily driver, yet the 997 Turbo is being hailed as excellent and well-behaved both in town and on the track.

What about the 400hp C6? They say it is a good value, but is that from a track point of view or a daily driver point of view? Is it true that for the price you can't have both?

Does the extra cost of the 997/S give it more quality and better overall performance as a daily driver and on the track?

How do the two cars compare as DDs?

I sold a C6 to get into a C4S - the C6 was not a friendly daily driver - noise and center console heat were the main drawbacks to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I own both cars

Hi,

I own a 2006 997S cab, and a new Z06. I drive the Z06 everyday and love it. They both make nice grocery getters. The lower price of the Z06 and higher fun factor makes for a more worry free car, and I take it more. It sits in the parking lot at work in the hot sun and rain, and I don't care. I carry two sets of golf clubs often. It's good in the rain. I have no complaints about it. Before the Z06, I had a C6 for the same purpose. It's even batter for a daily driver, more comfy ride, plenty of get up and go.

Blue
Old 07-13-2006, 12:34 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a C6 for six months. The dash was flawed and the paint on the passenger's side rear panel was very thin. Lots of power/torque, but poor build quality.

You get what you pay for!

Last edited by ohsixx; 07-13-2006 at 03:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:42 PM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ohsixx
I had a C6 for six months. The dash was flawed and the paint on the passenger's side rear panel was very thin. Lots of power/torque, but poor built quality.

You get what you pay for!
I concur entirely. I had a C6 for just over a year. Although an improvement over previous model Vettes (from what I hear...never owned one prior to that one), not good build quality in my eyes either. Hence, the Cayman S sitting in my garage. I sold my '01 M3 to get the Vette. Definite increase in power (namely torque) but a mistake in hindsight.

If you want raw power then yeah its a great deal but I still don't think it would be a good DD.....If you get one just don't expect Porsche, BMW build quality. Watch for DBS (dead battery syndrome, flying roof, crank pully, orange peel in paint, etc.).
Old 07-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Drive it and decide on your own instead of trying to start a flame war, troll.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 PM
RyanITV
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by MMD
So, it seems the Z-06 is a bad choice as a daily driver, yet the 97 Turbo is being hailed as excellent and well-behaved both in town and on the track.

Why's the Z06 bad as a daily driver? After completing the buildup of a 2005 NSX, we picked one up for me to use every day - my first american sports car in years. I've now got 7000 miles on mine, none of them on the track (unfortunately, been too busy this year). While I'll agree that the paint quality is pretty poor (my quarters were chipped pretty bad after 2k miles) and the interior is lacking (no lateral support) and the steering has no feeling, it's a fun car to drive that you can leave up front in the grocery store parking lot without fear of dings or too many gawkers (as most can't tell the difference between a C6 and Z06).

The Z06 is a great value with some good points - XM, heads-up, heated seats, decent gas mileage, unbelievable amounts of power as well as some quirks - build quality, horrid seats, mushy steering and an overactive torque management system.

Lest you think I'm trolling from one of the Z06 forums, we've just sold the NSX and have a deposit down on a new 997 C2S Cabrio for my wife. The 911 definitely has a much more precise feel - I've already warned my wife that as soon as I can get a 500hp+ car with AWD and a removable top, the Z06 is gone. Until then, I'll continue to enjoy effortlessly merging into traffic and worry-free parking.

Ryan
Old 07-13-2006, 10:42 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
How do the two cars compare as DDs?
I was originally shopping for a 997 when I drove the C6 Corvette. The Porsche was a more focused and more involving car to drive but I have a long commute which includes urban driving on some of the nation's worst roads so I bought the quieter more comfortable Corvette with the adjustable suspension. It made a fine daily driver but was boring to drive slow. If you have a reasonable commute on relatively decent roads I would suggest the Carrera since it is a more involving and enjoyable car to drive at mundane speeds. My solution was to get a Porsche and drive a BMW on the really bad urban roads. The Vette was fun to drive at 8 or 9/10ths but you can't do that on a daily basis and keep your license.

Alan
Old 07-13-2006, 11:34 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C6 vs 997C2S

I had a C6 for 6 months. My son and I did the Museum delivery and drove the car 2200 miles back home together. I went to the Spring Mountain Corvette Driving School for 3 days, and had it on the track for about another 6 days as well.
It was fun, easy, and comfortable to drive. I had the Z51 package, but with the std Goodyear run flats, it couldn't keep up with most cars in the corners on the track. Didn't really matter, cause with all that torque and HP, I was able to catch up with them in the straights.
So I was happy with it for the 6 months I had it. Didn't really care that much about the fit and finish, as it was satisfactory.
There were issues with the early cars, though, specifically that on some cars the pulley bolt was not adequately torqued. GM knew of this, and did nothing, waiting instead for the bolts to fail on those cars before allowing a fix.
Mine unfortunately failed on the track going into a corner at about 100MPH. It also locked up my steering, creating what one might call a "change your underware" moment.
Long story short, I kept it on the track, got it back to the pits, but not before I had blown the engine.
GM, after ignoring me for 4 weeks, offered to replace the engine, 'cept they didn't quite know how long that would take.
That, coupled with their couldn't care less attitude about the safety issues with this and other problems with the C6, convinced me to take the lemon law route.
Gm bought the car back, and I am now a very happy 997 C2S owner.
Differences in the cars? The Corvette has a broader HP and torque band, so you feel that power as soon as you put your foot on the pedal.
Vette has lots of trunk space, and is comfortable to drive long distances.
But you are lookin over this long *** hood, which somehow disconnects you with the road. The steering is not as precise as I thought it would be.
The fit and finish are OK on the Vette, but as was mentioned before, the tranny tunnel does get hot. Some have had probs with the amount of orange peel in the paint finish. Other issues include dead battery syndrome, as well as other assorted quality problems.
In comparison, my 997 is not quite as fast, but I love winding that motor up above 3500 RPM and hearing that 3.8L behind me.....
The 997 steering is much more precise. On the track, with the lower hood, I feel a lot more connected to the road than in the Vette.
And there is no comparison with the fit and finish. Porsche hands down.
And one more thing. A few weeks ago I was in a 7 car pileup on the freeway in a very bad rainstorm. While all the other cars were spinning out of control, my 997 handled like a champ. Antilocks and the PSM worked just like they were supposed to. And, when my passenger side was sideswiped by a truck spinning out of control, the sheet metal was crumpled, but the structural steel cage and the door bar worked just as designed. I am not so sure how well my Vette, with its composite materials, would have fared in the same situation.
So, for me, I would say you get what you pay for. Drive them both, and see what you think. And check the Corvette forums too. There are issues with the targa roofs delaminating and flying off while driving. GM just issued a recall for 36000 Corvettes.
Me? I am gettin my 997 back tomorrow after 6 weeks in the repair shop, so I probably won't be on here for a few days.....
Old 07-13-2006, 11:48 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

Glad to hear your car is back and you are about to hit the road again!
Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Drive it and decide on your own instead of trying to start a flame war, troll.
Hey Brett, you catch on quick.

It could be purely coincidental but he seems to make a habit of starting threads on Vettes vs 997s especially after another thread comparing the two has tired everybody out and the very topic is starting to get on people's nerves.

Take a look at this and see what I mean:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=vette

Whether or not this is typical of insidious troll behavior, I can't say. But if it leads to flame wars (and these threads typically do) you've got a valid point there.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:51 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Go to sleep, go to sleep, go to sleep this stupid vette thread.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:09 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a bunch of people have had C6's for 6 months or so and then switched to Porsche. Just curious if you go to the Corvette boards (which I never have) do you find people saying the opposite?
Basically people that bought a Porsche for 6 months and then switched to a Corvette?

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette and 997/S as Daily Drivers