C6 Corvette and 997/S as Daily Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:39 AM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanITV

Why's the Z06 bad as a daily driver?
Because Top Gear said in no uncertain terms, it's great on teh track but it would be very tough on the driver to drive the car everyday: hot, noisy, shifter sucks, ride too stiff.

Hey, just reporting what they said.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:50 AM
MMD
Banned

I'm not doing the troll thing.

I don't like the Corvette and I'm in a _Porsche enthusiast_ board.

How is that being a troll?

My question was quite well focussed: how do the C6 (not-Z06) and 997/S compare as DAILY DRIVERS?

WTF is trollish about that?

The Porsche costs alot more money and I think I figured out why and am trying to verify it (e.g. it's a better daily driver and it has better materials and design, the handling is more surgical and less brutish).

Go accuse someone else of trolling, for crissakes.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:53 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Just curious if you go to the Corvette boards (which I never have) do you find people...that bought a Porsche for 6 months and then switched to a Corvette?
No. You will find some general car enthusiasts who have owned Porsches and M3s in the past but not the quick turnover of a new car like we see here.

Alan
Old 07-14-2006, 11:56 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Alan.
I figured that would be the case, but thought i'd ask anyways.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:09 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
The Porsche costs alot more money and I think I figured out why and am trying to verify it (e.g. it's a better daily driver and it has better materials and design).
You have to define what makes a better daily driver. Comfort, trunk space, ease of getting in and out, smooth ride, good radio, quiet interior, good heater and air conditioning? By most of these "transportation" standards the Corvette may be the better car. On the other hand, using "enthusiast" standards like steering feel, mechanical precision of the shifter, ability to keep all four tires in contact with the road on bad pavement, etc. the Porsche is clearly the better car.

Porsches cost more because that is what the company decided to charge. A Corvette fan could look at 0-60 times and think his or her car is better. We tend to look at the overall balance of a Porsche and think it is worth the extra money. Yes, the Porsche interior is nicer but is it $30,000 nicer? I don't think so. Unless you are trying to impress you neighbors, the Porsche is worth the difference because of the way it feels when you drive it. If you don't appreciate the feel of the Porsche you are better off getting a Corvette, 350Z or any one of the other nice sports cars available for well under $50,000.

Alan
Old 07-14-2006, 12:16 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
I figured that would be the case, but thought i'd ask anyways.
I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the C6 Corvette has such impressive performance numbers and is so much nicer than the C5. Many of us were impressed with initial test drives but after living with the car it turned out to be a fast Chevy and not a fine piece of German-like engineering. The Vettes keep getting better but I probably won't live long enough to see one that feels like a Porsche, BMW or Audi. I actually preferred driving my Audi S4 when I had them both.

Alan
Old 07-14-2006, 01:17 PM
robsc
Intermediate

I think the C6 Z06 is a great daily driver, very smooth and quiet when you want, also no tunnel heat from mine. Fit and finish on mine is excellent.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
I had a C6 for 6 months. ...
Best summary post!

Quick Reply: C6 Corvette and 997/S as Daily Drivers