Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 03:09 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...

My neighbor on the next block had a BBQ to celebrate some thing and invited my wife and I and our kids. I knew this guy had a Z-06 on order and took it straight to a "Unique Whips" kind of place for a sound system.

So I ask about it and we go out to the garage and he shows me the 4X10" subwoofers and eight amplifiers virtually filling the back. We sit down and he starts it and now I think we're going for a ride, but instead he wants to show me how loud the stereo gets and his in-dash DVD screen (yeah, everyone needs one of those). So I'm getting my *** kicked by un-Godly loud music and wishing he'd shut it the ____ off and go for a ride. Finally, he asks if I want to go for a ride, and I replied, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Well he "punches it" to about 3000-3500 in each of the first 4 gears and proudly announces that we're "doin 90" on a stretch about 1.5 miles long, smooth and no acccess. Now for the bonus...it's actually in neither of the local municipalities and is just a County road so no cops patrol it.

So we're just going along and he asks me if I WANT TO DRIVE? You know what I said...?

So we turn into the forest and I get behind the wheel. To begin, because of the long snark hood the road seems more isolated than in a 911. But it rumbles nice and I casually ask him when it will be broken in. He says that it is and just go. I asked him if he's been on a track and he says no. As we take off, the dash warning says the pass seat belt is not connected. I tell him to and he declines, so I tell him again, he complies.

First it's off the Flavin Road, near Maple lake for you Chicago guys. Then on the road back at the foot of that 1.5 mi road I spoke of (143rd St) I wrung it out in 4 1/2 gears. he's turning white for the second time and squirming. At 145 I shut it down and he's freaked. Not angry, just drained. He asks me why I went so fast and I told him that a good car can do 143 MPH on 143rd St.

I hope I get to drive it again sometime. I invited him to come out to the track club. Not sure he'll come...

Summary, fast, but seemed no faster than the 997TT I kicked but didn't buy. Handling, while not numb is rather more "distant" than a 911. May be great at the track, but at our club two guys have blown theirs already.

Nice car all in all. Glad I bought my 997 C4S Cab instead of the used Z-06 that was there when I went in to buy.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:18 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
My neighbor on the next block had a BBQ to celebrate some thing and invited my wife and I and our kids. I knew this guy had a Z-06 on order and took it straight to a "Unique Whips" kind of place for a sound system.

So I ask about it and we go out to the garage and he shows me the 4X10" subwoofers and eight amplifiers virtually filling the back. We sit down and he starts it and now I think we're going for a ride, but instead he wants to show me how loud the stereo gets and his in-dash DVD screen (yeah, everyone needs one of those). So I'm getting my *** kicked by un-Godly loud music and wishing he'd shut it the ____ off and go for a ride. Finally, he asks if I want to go for a ride, and I replied, yeah yeah yeah yeah.

Well he "punches it" to about 3000-3500 in each of the first 4 gears and proudly announces that we're "doin 90" on a stretch about 1.5 miles long, smooth and no acccess. Now for the bonus...it's actually in neither of the local municipalities and is just a County road so no cops patrol it.

So we're just going along and he asks me if I WANT TO DRIVE? You know what I said...?

So we turn into the forest and I get behind the wheel. To begin, because of the long snark hood the road seems more isolated than in a 911. But it rumbles nice and I casually ask him when it will be broken in. He says that it is and just go. I asked him if he's been on a track and he says no. As we take off, the dash warning says the pass seat belt is not connected. I tell him to and he declines, so I tell him again, he complies.

First it's off the Flavin Road, near Maple lake for you Chicago guys. Then on the road back at the foot of that 1.5 mi road I spoke of (143rd St) I wrung it out in 4 1/2 gears. he's turning white for the second time and squirming. At 145 I shut it down and he's freaked. Not angry, just drained. He asks me why I went so fast and I told him that a good car can do 143 MPH on 143rd St.

I hope I get to drive it again sometime. I invited him to come out to the track club. Not sure he'll come...

Summary, fast, but seemed no faster than the 997TT I kicked but didn't buy. Handling, while not numb is rather more "distant" than a 911. May be great at the track, but at our club two guys have blown theirs already.

Nice car all in all. Glad I bought my 997 C4S Cab instead of the used Z-06 that was there when I went in to buy.
I drive one regularly and a TT won't touch them. Not much on the street will, at any speed.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:19 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

It's such a different car. I don't like the back seat driving position--with all that hood. You're either a vette guy or Porsche guy. I'll never own one no matter how many horses they shoe-horn under that ten foot hood.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:28 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
It's such a different car. I don't like the back seat driving position--with all that hood. You're either a vette guy or Porsche guy. I'll never own one no matter how many horses they shoe-horn under that ten foot hood.
Like you said, you either like it or you don't. I got a 911 and a Z06...while different animals, I love them both equally. The Z outperforms my 911 in every category (performance wise)
Old 07-09-2006, 06:18 PM
texas911
Race Car

I'm glad for the Corvette, without competition, Porsche won't keep improving its products.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Yup. The new Vette. What so many Porsche owners are measuring their car's performance against. Funny how things change. One can only assume, that the louder the bashing of the Vette, the less confident the poster is in his Porsche. Whether you like the Z06 or not, it's superior performance is what Porsche is targeting.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by TAILWAG
Like you said, you either like it or you don't. I got a 911 and a Z06...while different animals, I love them both equally. The Z outperforms my 911 in every category (performance wise)
I could have them both, but don't believe the vette is worth the money as they are mass produced without the same detail to quality, nor do they hold their value as well. I can own almost any sports I choose, and I choose the 997S. I love the vette, but only the classics.

I forgot to add: I've toured both Porsche and vette plants over the last four years and can tell you that you know why vettes are less expensive (great cars, though). They are "different" cars in every sense, even from their creation!
Old 07-09-2006, 06:58 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
I'm glad for the Corvette, without competition, Porsche won't keep improving its products.
I get the feeling they really don't care... maybe I'm wrong.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:09 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts

I have no doubts that the Z06 is faster than most 911 models BUT, it just looks like hell both inside and out. Almost looks like a 'kit' car the way the body panels hang on it and the interior,...well, that speaks for itself.
If Chevy could make the Z06 as beautiful, luxurious, and sophisticated as a 911,....then I would change my mind,...but something tells me GM isn't going to cut it!
Old 07-09-2006, 07:40 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Coochas
I have no doubts that the Z06 is faster than most 911 models BUT, it just looks like hell both inside and out. Almost looks like a 'kit' car the way the body panels hang on it and the interior,...well, that speaks for itself.
If Chevy could make the Z06 as beautiful, luxurious, and sophisticated as a 911,....then I would change my mind,...but something tells me GM isn't going to cut it!
A stock Z06 is NOT faster than MOST stock 911's. It is faster than ALL stock 911's. It is a quality car and the interior is no cheaper than the plastic parts in the 911's. As a matter of fact. excluding the fiberglass, there is probably more plastic in the 911 than the Z06.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 505 Likes on 158 Posts

Call me "crazy," but if I offered to let my neighbor drive my new car, and he took it up to 145 mph, I'd take him off my Christmas Card list...among other things.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:05 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It is a quality car and the interior is no cheaper than the plastic parts in the 911's.
The words "good value" when comparing Corvette to Porsche in carmags are always used.

That's a code word for less quality, not equal quality.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:20 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I know a z06 is faster. That won't be the deciding factor when I buy my next sports car. When I decide to write the check, I know I can afford to buy whichever one I want and my interest favors the 911. That is no disrespect to the z06, I think it's an incredible performance car. Different people have different tastes in automobiles and when purchasing a sportscar it's not JUST about the final performance numbers, but a combination of what characteristics interests the Purchaser. That's why there's many Vette owners who could afford whatever they want and choose the Vette. And vice versa for the 911. And some choose both.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by MMD
The words "good value" when comparing Corvette to Porsche in carmags are always used.

That's a code word for less quality, not equal quality.
I would agree with that statement.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:51 PM
TAILWAG
Racer

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
A stock Z06 is NOT faster than MOST stock 911's. It is faster than ALL stock 911's.

Bingo.

Quick Reply: Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...