Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 01:36 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts
Default BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!

Ok, I've been telling everyone I'd strip and go naked. Well, today's the day. I began removal of the clear bra that has been on the car for over two years. It was easy. I was going to let the car heat up prior to beginning, but I'm just too impatient. I took some pics during the process. I'd like you to look at a few things:

1. (PIC 1) The edges are getting really dirty; clay, dirt and wax on seams (don't ever let some meat head install a seem job. I can't live with it anymore. Getting sheet install next week.

2. (PIC 2) Discoloration; it has become readily apparent that there is a color differentiation between the bra'd area and naked paint--yellowing "big-time". Don't slam me too quickly, it's 3M. It has been subjected to some extreme heat and sun (It's a fact Texas it closer to the sun than any other state except Arizona). It may be hard to tell, but in person the color difference is obvious.

3. (PIC 3) PROTECTION: Now you see the scratch or scuff, now you don't (PIC 4). Where there is no bra, there's a stone chip
(PIC 5)

4. (PIC 6) All done (hood and front panels), note the Yellow!!

I love the way the car looks without it. But, I also know the risks I'd be running to go without it. I'll post the new job once completed. I polished the area to remove the "line of crud". I love the feel of naked paint!
Attached Images        
Old 07-08-2006, 01:58 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get venture to avoid yellowing
Old 07-08-2006, 02:11 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
It has been subjected to some extreme heat and sun (It's a fact Texas it closer to the sun than any other state except Arizona).
Uh...have you heard of Colorado? Closer and more sun days BTW.

I still like the car better without.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:33 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Uh...have you heard of Colorado? Closer and more sun days BTW.

I still like the car better without.
What's the temp in Colorado today? It's 96 with humidity over 102. I'll be there in two weeks for some golfing and rafting--looking forward to it.

No doubt. The car looks better with out it. I love running my mf towel over the "paint" and not the plastic, but I like the vest protection.
Attached Images  
Old 07-08-2006, 03:06 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Today its...70 and raining (boy did we need this. Last few days we've had the monsoons, but like I said we really needed it. Should set you up nicely for some golf and rafting in 2 weeks. Have fun.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:20 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 3M has a warranty against yellowing, your next installer can submit it for warranty credit just save all your yellowing plastic. It may be worth checking out.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:56 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think 3M's warranty is only on parts and it's something like 1, 2 or 3 year only. Venture has a lifetime warranty against yellowing. It's superior and clearer.

If your car stays under the sun a lot, you may want to use a cover.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:32 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SilverSteel,

Do you think it is the film that has yellow? Or the adhesive from the film that yellowed?
Old 07-08-2006, 05:43 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mo
SilverSteel,

Do you think it is the film that has yellow? Or the adhesive from the film that yellowed?
Great questions. While removing it, there were areas that the adhesive seperated from the plastic. The adhesive was clear, the plastic yellow. Turning the plastic at an angle, you could see it was yellow through and through.

I've been told they all yellow at some point because of the harmful UV rays of the sun. You just can't tell until you remove it- how yellow it is. Also, I have some new 3m material I used on the rock guards and when you put them side by side, it's stunning. The old stuff looks pee yellow.

As I removed it, I could see all the impacts it had absorbed to protect my paint. It was really a telling story. I also noticed a few yellow spots about the size of a dime where birds left their dirty mark. While I always remove anything when I see it, the plastic did its job incredibly well. The paint underneath the armor is virginal. I keep going in my garage and admiring it.

I'll be having my wife's new LX470 (redone-I had the dealer remove their "kit") and my 997S with a sheet and tuck job. I'm going to appreciate the naked paint for a few days first.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:03 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

SilverSteel,

Thanks for sharing your film experiences. I just had two cars done, so have interest in this topic.

1) Did you ever wax over the film to help with UV protection ?

2) How much time a day was your car in the sun ?

I know the guy who did my film did not want to use 3M film because he said the adhesive, not film, turns yellow. With your heat that is incorrect. Lastly, I have a friend in Scottsdale who had 3M film done 4 years ago, and it has not turned yellow. Probably because neither are daily drivers.

If was me would go back to 3M which s/b a great company for warrantee relief.

Thanks again.
Old 07-08-2006, 06:22 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mo
SilverSteel,

Thanks for sharing your film experiences. I just had two cars done, so have interest in this topic.

1) Did you ever wax over the film to help with UV protection ?

2) How much time a day was your car in the sun ?

I know the guy who did my film did not want to use 3M film because he said the adhesive, not film, turns yellow. With your heat that is incorrect. Lastly, I have a friend in Scottsdale who had 3M film done 4 years ago, and it has not turned yellow. Probably because neither are daily drivers.

If was me would go back to 3M which s/b a great company for warrantee relief.

Thanks again.
I am the second owner so I can't testify as to the car's sun exposure. I've had it for almost a year. In the time I've had it, it lives in the garage as a weekend car. I know the material is 3m because I have the warranty papers in the books. Having seen the condition of this material, I will not be getting any 3m. I don't know what color your friend's car is, but I could see the yellowing on my car ever so slightly and obviously once removed. Why don't I warranty it? Again, I don't want it. One caveat, perhaps they've made some improvements over the last two years. I don't know.

I wax my car every three weeks (clayed, polished and waxed). My paint always feels like glass and the armor gets the same treatment. When I'm out of town for days, I'll cover the car in my garage. It really only sees sun when I'm driving it and never sees rain. My 745LI is so comfortable that I really like driving it during the week, making my weekends with the 997S an intimate and much appreciated driving experience.

Don't shy away from 3m because of my experience. I believe the material performed incredibly well, protecting my investment. If yellowing is the only drawback, it's well worth it. I've received opinions from other people on every brand under the sun that yellowing is not avoidable regardless of what they tell you. Yeah they say there's doesn't yellow, until you remove it and see the change in color. Again, not a big deal. Nothing, nothing is imune to the sun's rays. A good installer is more important as coverage seems to be the most difficult task to perform really well. Get a good one!
Old 07-08-2006, 07:54 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

I will make an additional minor observation. Who ever installed your "bra" did not wrap the edges! This is the way it should be done. There should be only the one visible line across the hood. At least that is the way my "bras" are on my no-p-cars (always bra-less).
Old 07-08-2006, 08:03 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wross996tt
I will make an additional minor observation. Who ever installed your "bra" did not wrap the edges! This is the way it should be done. There should be only the one visible line across the hood. At least that is the way my "bras" are on my no-p-cars (always bra-less).
This is considered a kit job that was done by the previous owner. The local lexus dealer did the same thing to my wife's new LX470--I demanded they remove it and refund my money.

I will be having a "sheet" installation where they use a sheet of material rather than a pre-cut kit. When sheet installs are done it is wrapped around all the edges. It is more expensive, but it is the most effective means of protecting the car and permitting easier application of clay and wax.

I have to say, I really like the paint.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:31 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told that you should not clay the fime. So you should ask your installer when you re-do your car.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:39 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

I agree...don't clay the film. Use Plexus or something similar...then of course a wax (polymer or carnuba) can be applied by hand preferably.

Quick Reply: BRALESS-removal of clear bra (PICS)!!!