Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CEL cleared, "All is Well" with my C4s...

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006 | 01:30 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Default CEL cleared, "All is Well" with my C4s...

Original Message from 26 June 06

I just returned to the office (on a day like this? are you nuts? ) from a service trip to Napleton Porsche in Westmont. In my original message, linked above, I reported my Check Engine light issue after a fuel fill-up on Sunday 25 June.

Roadside told me that it was safe to drive to the dealer (about 20 miles); apparently a solid check engine light means "ok to drive", while a flashing check engine light means "catalyst failure imminent". Car ran well, but I kept sport mode off and babied it on the way, never over 4500 RPMs.

PIWIS found several P030x faults - apparently P0302 and P0305 - which correlate to factory fault codes 509 and 512. These codes report misfires on cylinders 2 and 5, repectively. Codes P0306, P0301, P0304 and P0303 were not found for cylinders 6,1,4 and 3... so it was a transient, but enough to set the codes in memory.

The tech cleared the codes, and downloaded Open Update W610 for the system software. I was in and back out the door in 45 minutes. Good coffee at Napleton, too...

Everything else checked out fine. I was informed that the idle may hunt a bit as the ECU re-learns; it did - in fact, when I started the car to pull out, the idle surged to 1,200, then dropped to 600. Gino Dobelman, my service advisor, ran over and suggested that I blip the throttle lightly - and the tach settled back down to 780 and stayed there.

I completed the "re-learning" process on northbound I-355. <g> Traffic was very light at 10am... and the V1 was quiet. Good thing! My God, this car is fast and effortless. What a piece of work - I'm clearly back in love...

Sooooo... it looks like we're back to watchful waiting. I'm still a bit anxious, but - as our friend Le Chef says - "it's just a car". Yes, it is.... even if it's a 911.

FWIW, Napleton seems to be a really good bunch of guys. Give them a holler if you're looking for a dealer in the Western 'burbs of Chi-town. They have an '05 CGT in house, too - new, never titled. I'm sure they'll make anyone out there a good deal...

Cheers,

-don
Old 07-07-2006 | 10:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Don - glad to hear that all is well with the P-car. Now.... just drive it!
Old 07-08-2006 | 12:35 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

that's a relief, go have fun.
Old 07-08-2006 | 04:36 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Well guys, I had a great drive today with my son - about 60 miles, beautiful weather - but the down side is that the CEL is back on... I stopped at a light, the idle "burped" a bit and the light lit again. I called the dealer, they said "just drive it" - and I'm doing just that!

Also, the idle has been hunting a bit, so we're back in to Napleton Monday am for some of that great coffee... <g>

I used about 1/2 of the "bad" tank and stopped in at Mobil to top off with 93 octane. No more BP. When it gets down next time, I'll try Shell, as that's what the dealer recommends...

There's a station down in the Naperville area that sells 95 octane unleaded; I will check that too.

I still love this car. It runs so well, even if it's not at 100% health.

Thanks, guys. Have a great weekend!

-don

Quick Reply: CEL cleared, "All is Well" with my C4s...