Sponsored by:

Fabspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 05:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Fabspeed?

Well, my dealer found a car with the color and options to suit me and the wife. I hate the stock sound of the exhaust. The dealer demo'd a car for me with the PSE exhaust and it sounded very good, not to loud but what a sports car should sound like.
I have done a search and read about Tubi and AWE but can not find much about Fabspeed mufflers. I like the idea of lighter weight in the back and a nice clean simple bolt on muffler so when I trade/sell the car in 2-3 years the new owner can put the stock mufflers on or I can take the aftermarket mufflers with me.
My dealer sells Tubi and PSE and says he will put either on. What about the Fabspeed sound compared to PSE. Wish I could here Tubi muff's too.
thanks, Mike
Old 07-06-2006, 05:40 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I have the PSE on my cab. Personally, I like the option of being able to turn it on or off depending on various factors. For example, with the top down and doing aggressive driving the PSE sounds great,--but then when in strange neighborhoods I really don't want to alienate myself with everyone so I turn it off. Ditto when I just get tired of the drone of the motor. Sounds like a good idea with the Tubi or the Fabs.

Dan
Old 07-06-2006, 05:55 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Anyone know the price of tubi or Fabspeed mufflers for a 2006 997S?
Old 07-06-2006, 05:58 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Well, my dealer found a car with the color and options to suit me and the wife. I hate the stock sound of the exhaust. The dealer demo'd a car for me with the PSE exhaust and it sounded very good, not to loud but what a sports car should sound like.
I have done a search and read about Tubi and AWE but can not find much about Fabspeed mufflers. I like the idea of lighter weight in the back and a nice clean simple bolt on muffler so when I trade/sell the car in 2-3 years the new owner can put the stock mufflers on or I can take the aftermarket mufflers with me.
My dealer sells Tubi and PSE and says he will put either on. What about the Fabspeed sound compared to PSE. Wish I could here Tubi muff's too.
thanks, Mike
Try www.fabspeed.com for more info and pricing. Some sound clips too.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=mdrums].or I can take the aftermarket mufflers with me.

Just curious, what are you planning to do with the mufflers after you take them with you ? Lol

There are a lot of threads on the subject .Aftermarket mufflers all sound different ,so don't buy what someone else recommends .
Get the ones YOU like and forget the rest .

To make a long story short , my friend had the Fabspeeds installed, started the car , drove around the parking lot once and then had them removed. They just did not sound like a Porsche should.
We both have PSE's on back order now.
I love the sound , but I also like the OFF feature so I don't have to have a shouting match with my passenger instead of a converation . I don't race, so
screw the extra 5 lbs.weight . Lol

My advice, listen to them if you can , or do what my friend did. He had them installed with the understanding that if he did not like them, he would not have to by them. All they charged him for was the labor, so it was a relatively cheap lesson .
Good luck with your decision .
Old 07-06-2006, 06:32 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rolf, thanks for the reply. I usually keep cars for around 2-4 years so if I install aftermarket mufflers I know they will not be worn out during that time so I would just transfer them to my new Porsche if they would still fit.

My dealer installs the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) and Tubi exhaust. They say the Tubi has a little more HP but I'd never feel it and they say the Tubi is lighter sounds a little different than PSE and they really recomend the Tubi. I personally do not care about turning the exhaust on or off my neighbors have Harely's and sport bikes so they will not complain. My dealer said with the Tubi there is no resonance in the cabin and the sound is sweet. Plus the Tubi labor install is much less than the PSE due to not having to wire it up to the Sport Chrono package.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Rolf, thanks for the reply. I usually keep cars for around 2-4 years so if I install aftermarket mufflers I know they will not be worn out during that time so I would just transfer them to my new Porsche if they would still fit.

My dealer installs the Porsche Sport Exhaust (PSE) and Tubi exhaust. They say the Tubi has a little more HP but I'd never feel it and they say the Tubi is lighter sounds a little different than PSE and they really recomend the Tubi. I personally do not care about turning the exhaust on or off my neighbors have Harely's and sport bikes so they will not complain. My dealer said with the Tubi there is no resonance in the cabin and the sound is sweet. Plus the Tubi labor install is much less than the PSE due to not having to wire it up to the Sport Chrono package.
Good luck with your selection.
Btw: We have a PSE group buy discussion on this forum right now.
If you are interested, you may want to see how it develops.

The cabin resonance issue is very real , and I would strongly suggest you follow your dealers advice on the subject.
It's one of the main reasons ( besides the real PORSCHE sound) why many of us have chosen the PSE . Also, if you are looking for HP , the mufflers (and cold air intakes ) are the last places to look.
Old 07-06-2006, 08:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Rolf, yes I have been keping an eye on the PSE Group Buy. Waiting to see a price. I am still trying to find the prices for Tubi mufflers. I'm not looking or expecting a HP gain...I am well aware what it takes to see a difference on a dnyo and to actually feel a difference. Thanks for the reply's!

Tubi prices anyone?
Old 07-06-2006, 09:01 PM
Jiaim
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

contact champion porsche for tubi pricing
Old 07-07-2006, 02:24 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

I personally have the AWE full system (cats, headers, mufflers) and LOVE it! I did before and after dynos and got about 30HP with 91 octane. You can't beat the sound, craftsmanship and power gains for the money!

Good luck with the car!
Old 07-07-2006, 09:38 AM
mdrums
Race Director

I called Champion all day yesterday and left messages...no call backs yet.

Synergy, I just want to do the mufflers and do not expect any performance gains with just those but I want the car to sound better than stock. I have listened to the sound clips on the AWE site and they sound good. Although the sound clips at idle have a fluffy air sound to them...kinda VW sounding...this just might be the recording though...do you notice this at idle and slow cruise? Other on this board and other forums have said they took the AWE mufflers back.

I could just make it easy on myself and have my dealer install the PSE or Tubi because they sell both and have them. My question still is what does the Tubi sound like compared the the PSE mufflers I have heard?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:32 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock exhaust and the AWE both have what has been described as a "woofly, flatulent" sound at low rpms,but the AWE is deeper in tone and louder. For both, this is most likely a consequence of minimal baffling and the fact that only 3 cylinders dump into each muffler. The sound of the AWE system(headers,cats & mufflers) at high rpms is fantastic. At rpms under 3500/4000, it is only slightly louder than stock.

I haven't heard any of the other products in action.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:57 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MichaelL
The stock exhaust and the AWE both have what has been described as a "woofly, flatulent" sound at low rpms,but the AWE is deeper in tone and louder.
This is exactly right....that sound actually is very "Porsche" which I wouldn't want to change.
Old 07-08-2006, 03:26 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Anyone know the price of tubi or Fabspeed mufflers for a 2006 997S?
Brandywine has a set of Tubi mufflers on eBay for $2100 + 70 shipping currently. List price is $2500, I think.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

I have AWE and really like it a lot - just my two cents.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed?