Sponsored by:

Suspension Question for 997S

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 03:29 PM
brianbento
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Question for 997S

Ok Gents, I have broken down and am buying this 997 S for the in between time until my GT3 comes in. I need some expertise of hopefully some one who has done this. The 997S that I am buying has PCCB, sports exhaust and I am wanting to bring the car down a few inches. I do not want to spend the $3K plus on coil overs, as I will only have this for 3 months max before my 997 comes in. So what are my other options? I am thinking of springs, either by, H&R/ maybe Koni.... Has anyone done this, with just lower springs and how did it turn out. Or is this just a wash with out coil overs? I am not trying to bring it on the ground; I just want the ride feel a little bit more aggressive from height and firmness then stock. Trying to get into the sport mode before the real deal comes in…….. Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 07-06-2006, 05:50 PM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

What a coincedence! I'm doing the same thing and just sold my turbo S and got a 997 S X51. Picking it up next week hopefully.

On the lowering part. TechArt and H&R make springs that lower the PASM 997's. H&R is the more aggressive lowering option. I heard that Cargraphic make coilovers that work with the PASM but haven't heard from anyone who installed them.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Two things:

1) The H&R and Cargraphic springs seem to be the springs of choice. I personally have the H&R and they aren't really noticeably firmer unless you're riding on loose or broken surfaces and then they become harsh and a bit nervous. Overall, I'd say the change in ride and handling wasn't substantial but cosmetically it was a huge improvement.

2) I'm extremely jealous of both of you.

Last edited by MrBonus; 07-06-2006 at 11:04 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:49 PM
brianbento
Instructor

I will have to check on that, Thanks for the info....... I am heading your way next week. Thank God, Real food, and real everything...... REAL STARBUCKS...YEA YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lololol should get in on Thursday night or Friday night. PM me your cell number, and I will give you a ring when I get in...... It looks like I will be there for 4-5 weeks. Long enough to get my Master Diver complete, and to do as little work as possible...... Take care Khalid
Old 07-07-2006, 02:47 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

H&R springs are the way to go.....the look and the ride is ideal.

Old 07-07-2006, 08:02 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Ian, nothing to be jealous about. You've got a beautiful 997!

synergy, these F110's are my favorite wheels on a 997 by far.

Brian, looking forward to seeing you here. Pm'ing you my number.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:26 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Cargraphic and H&R springs are the exact same thing. The cargraphic springs say H&R right on them. What you will find with PASM, is that you don't use the stiffer setting except for on the track after installing springs. The ride around town is very nice, but stiff is too stiff for town. I have installed numerous sets of these with PASM 997's, and all have come out great.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:44 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

So what's the Cargraphic price vs. H&R price? Same spring, same price?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:54 AM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I ordered a set of H&R springs for my car mostly for better body control and less see-sawing at the track. They're to be installed next week (along with PSCs); I'll post a report afterward. The price is $310 (iirc) at Tire Rack, and you should be able to get your dealer to match the TR price.

My tendency has been to use the normal PASM setting on the street, and the sport setting at the track. Interestingly, I never use the regular 'sport' setting for throttle remap. Makes the car too jumpy at the track, I think. I'm looking forward to feeling how the springs turn out.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:20 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Synergy's car is so hot.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just drive around in Soprt mode - Save your non recoverable $$$

The car in it's stock form is more car than you are a driver and on public roads you won't even come close to it's capabilities.

If it is about Bling than thats another topic.

Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJones
Just drive around in Soprt mode - Save your non recoverable $$$

The car in it's stock form is more car than you are a driver and on public roads you won't even come close to it's capabilities.

If it is about Bling than thats another topic.

Brian,

We must be from the same school!
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Springs can pay for themselves in decreased tire wear alone; you can eke out more camber with lower ride height, and that means less wear on the outside tire edges. More even tire wear means keeping tires longer. That's not bling, that's fiscal responsibility.

(at least that's what I tell myself )
Old 07-07-2006, 01:14 PM
brianbento
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colm
Brian,

We must be from the same school!
You are right Colm; Mjones must be the "Right" driver.... Boy oh boy, I sure can’t drive a Porsche.... Hopefully some day some one will show me how to drive these darn things... I just love buying them because I am such a rich wealthy guy who can’t drive and loves to be shot at every day.................. lololol.................... Take care Colm.... I will let you know when I get back to the good Old USA and maybe we can meet up at a DE some time......
Old 07-07-2006, 06:41 PM
alin330
Instructor

PorscheDoc, "Cargraphic and H&R springs are the exact same thing."

Some board members say that cargraphic's drop is little less then the H&R. So are you saying the drop between the two are the SAME?

Quick Reply: Suspension Question for 997S