Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SL 550 - kind of impressed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 12:23 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drove an SL 6.5 right before I bought my Porsche. The car was a HAMMER! Will easily pull with even a Z-06.

Dead as a doornail in the fun to drive catagory unless your idea of fun is scaring folks with accelleration. I have owned two SL's of the current style and found them a little cramped in driving position and lacking in feel. And forget tracking them.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:24 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Le Chef
Swapped cars with a neighbor for a quick drive today and was really kind of impressed by his SL 550. It's reasonably quick, corners well, the brakes are not bad, and it's pretty refined. It had the sports package so paddle shifters and I think a stiffer setting on the ABC suspension. Biggest let down is the steering though - too numb after a 911.

Anyone here try one or the SL 55 AMG? Curious.
Can you please tell me what this has to do with P cars ? I am an AMG owner, but I normally post questions concerning MB on the MBWorld.org forums. You should try that site a world of knowledge regarding all MB.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

...geez...can ya lighten up a little bit here?
Old 07-05-2006, 12:34 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes makes the tiptronic for Porsche, even the one on the Turbo! Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-05-2006, 01:15 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I like discussing other cars with people that have the same frame of reference that I have.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:12 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Hell, the SL550 is not even close to the base Carrera in terms of driving the two. Plus the Carrera is lugging around those superfluous rear seats ... : )
Check out the latest Car and Driver...SL550 beat the base Carrera Cabriolet (and everything else) in a comparison test.
Old 07-05-2006, 03:34 PM
black/terra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ha ha, i was just going to say that

car and driver tested them against each other and the S550 won.

Apparantly its not apples and oranges anymore...ha ha
Old 07-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Check out the latest Car and Driver...SL550 beat the base Carrera Cabriolet (and everything else) in a comparison test.
How did it do against the Carrera S?

I tried to find a link to the article, but could not. Does anyone have the link?
Old 07-05-2006, 04:48 PM
MHK
Instructor

I red the article on a flight yesterday. The Porsche came in 2nd and the Mercedes was 1st. (It also compared the cars to the new XK, 650 and XLR) They could not get an S to compare it to, only a base Cab. At the beginning of the article, it suggests that had they been able to do the comparision with an S, they believe the results could have been different.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHK
I red the article on a flight yesterday. The Porsche came in 2nd and the Mercedes was 1st. (It also compared the cars to the new XK, 650 and XLR) They could not get an S to compare it to, only a base Cab. At the beginning of the article, it suggests that had they been able to do the comparision with an S, they believe the results could have been different.
I kind of thought that. I looked very carefully at the SL 550 prior to buying a Porsche S. The SL is a magnificent car to say the least. But I did not like the sterility of the drive compared to a Porsche. I also liked the Porsche engine sound much better (I couldn't hear the MZB engine).

I can't see the SL550 beating or out-handling a Carrera S, but perhaps it can.

I believe however the AMG version of the SL 550 would be the ticket to beat the "S."
Old 07-05-2006, 04:55 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Dariof
I kind of thought that. I looked very carefully at the SL 550 prior to buying a Porsche S. The SL is a magnificent car to say the least. But I did not like the steriity of the drive compared to a Porsche. I also liked the Porsche engine sound much better (I couldn't hear the MZB engine).

I can't see the SL550 beating or out-handling a Carrera S, but perhaps it can.

I believe however the AMG version of the SL 550 would be the ticket to beat the "S."
I'm quite sure the AMG would be straight line faster. But in real driving, lap times, slalom, braking etc I'm quite sure the MB would not fare too well.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
I'm quite sure the AMG would be straight line faster. But in real driving, lap times, slalom, braking etc I'm quite sure the MB would not fare too well.
Point well taken. I should have clarified my post to say straight line performance.

I did like the distronic (or whatever they call it) cruise control on the MZB. I could drive back and forth between So. CA and Las Vegas and wake up when I get here.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default we still have to admit that...

the SL even beating out any Carrera is very impressive.

We also have to take note that a base carrera was a TIP which is fair in mlight that all others were autos.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:01 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveby
I like discussing other cars with people that have the same frame of reference that I have.
Hey thats great, but if you really want to get lots of information on all MB's models including AMG's try MBWorld.org . This is where I went before I bought my E55. They have a forum for just about every type of Benz.
Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Default You misread the question

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Hey thats great, but if you really want to get lots of information on all MB's models including AMG's try MBWorld.org . This is where I went before I bought my E55. They have a forum for just about every type of Benz.
I don't want to get lots of information about MB models nor do I want to know what MB owners will say - that's a waste of time. I wanted to know what 997 owners thought about the car and if they had compared their car to the SL. I don't consider that "OT" but maybe you're a little myopic on these matters.

Quick Reply: SL 550 - kind of impressed