Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Cover While Traveling?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 09:09 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I left my car at IAH AirPark for two weeks during my trip to the World Cup. I had considered taking the cover but ended up leaving it at home for (1) the cleaning reason mentioned above and (2) because I thought it would draw unnecessary attention. I did not feel good about leaving the Porsche behind and was certain to find at least 20 dings upon my return, but I decided not to worry, and - alas - except for being extremely dirty, the car looked just fine. I think a lot of it has to do with luck (or lack thereof), and when it happens it will happen, whether we worry or not.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:34 AM
billco
Instructor

We got a little side tracked on Dariof's Door Ding. I'm still interested in hearing from those who have traveled overnight as to whether or not they cover their cars.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I am travelling with a group of P-cars, I do not cover the car. Alone, I would be inclined to cover it.
Personally, while a cover draws attention to the car, people can't really tell what is underneath, which is good. There is also some minor protection from careless folks as well.

I have several covers, including a Tyvek type that is waterproof, very lightweight and folds up very compactly. I plan on taking that to the Parade in Portland. At the '95 Portland Parade, as a newbie, I bought plastic drop cloths and duct tape covered the car, and when it rained overnight, I was saved for the Concours the next day. I was glad I had forgotten the flannel cover!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:00 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by billco
We got a little side tracked on Dariof's Door Ding. I'm still interested in hearing from those who have traveled overnight as to whether or not they cover their cars.
I dont' because mine's black and I don't like the idea of smearing the dirt around and getting it on the inside of the cover. I will "dab" off bird doo with QD and a MF towel tho.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM
billco
Instructor

Thanks guys. Interesting that you say people can't tell what's underneath. I purchased a Porsche outdoor cover which has the logo about a foot and a half high, right in the middle of the hood. Not too subtle. Fortunately (I guess) when I returned home and washed it, one of the security straps fell apart. I returned it for a refund. Anyway, thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

Anyone else going to Parade? Will you be covering your car?

Quick Reply: Car Cover While Traveling?