Sport Chrono Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 01:05 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by kauai_diver
Sorry for a quick thread derail but does pressing the Sport button really lower the car by 10mm? I've tried to notice the diff in height but never could.

Simple answer: No. the car is already 10mm lower with the PASM. Since it is standard on the Carrera S vice the Carrera the best visual check is a Carrera next to an S. Regardless, you're going to have a tough time seeing 10mm.

Dan
Old 07-09-2006, 01:13 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
gpjli2,

According to the owner's manual (p.71 US manual) - in Sport mode:

"...The rpm limiter charateristic is "harder", i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection model for vehicles with Tiptronic S)."

Also, PSM's limits are relaxed. I've noticed this big-time, you can yaw the rear out considerably before PSM intervenes.

And, by the way - don't worry about hitting the rev limiter in either sport or regular mode. That's what it's there for - to prevent overrevs. You can hit it all you want, just don't select 2nd gear when you're going hard for 4th... <yeowch!>

-don
Thanks Don. I have found the limiter in second gear during some spirited driving on interesting roads . Makes me feel dumb but does not worry me. I will try it in both modes to see how it feels different. Re "The Money Shift": never had the pleasure
Old 07-09-2006, 01:16 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Simple answer: No. the car is already 10mm lower with the PASM. Since it is standard on the Carrera S vice the Carrera the best visual check is a Carrera next to an S. Regardless, you're going to have a tough time seeing 10mm.

Dan
I think the S is lower than the standard car but do not believe sport changes ride height. Mjones or some of the other guys may know for sure.
Old 07-09-2006, 01:18 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpjli2
I think the S is lower than the standard car but do not believe sport changes ride height. Mjones or some of the other guys may know for sure.
Sorry. Meant for k_diver.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:23 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
My question is in regards to the throttle mapping change only, I am aware of the other changes Sport Chrono initiates and would like to focus just on the throttle mapping.

I hear claims that the car “feels” more responsive with Sport Chrono on but does the Sport Chrono package actually improve performance? I know it doesn’t change the power output of the engine (like on the GT3 where you get 13 more ponies by making changes to fuel delivery and timing), but that it just front loads the throttle response.

So my question is: with Sport Chrono on are 0-60, quarter mile or lap times improved? “Feels” more responsive is subjective and not provable but actual recorded track times are objective and verifiable. Is there an actual improvement in performance?
I've been a supporter of Sports Chrono for quite a while, but I'm starting to lean towards the dark side more recently.

Like others have said, you can feel the difference! However, you feel the difference because less effort from your foot causes the throttle to respond quicker so you go faster - up to a point. If you are a smooth driver who doesn't just smash the pedal on every gear shift, then you'll notice a difference. If you are a pedal smasher, you won't see a difference.

There are two negatives I've noticed with Sports mode:

The first is that the increased throttle response early means you end up with a dead zone in the last 20% of the pedal travel and I don't like that feeling.

The second is that it can make stop and go traffic a little more jerky as it is hardER (NOTICE I DID NOT SAY HARD I SAID HARD-ER) to go smooth at slower speeds.

When I had PSE connected I LOVED the sports mode because of the better exhaust note and the increased throttle response so it just felt like a new car. However, I find that now that I have pulled the PSE cable and it is on all of the time I almost never push the sports button anymore. I prefer the smoother throttle mapping you get with Sports off, and the fact that if I have the pedal pressed 80% of the way and I floor it then I still get more power (versus a dead zone with sport mode on).

To me the biggest advantage of sports mode is that you get a relaxed PSM (noticed I said PSM as in stability management, not PASM). This allows the back end to get thrown out up to 18 degrees before PSM intervenes. This is very noticable on the track and especially the wet skidpad, so I do prefer this. With PSM totally off the car will happily let you do a 180 or 360 so there's no middle ground without the sports button. To me, this is the biggest advantage of this feature and is why I'd still get it if I were to do it again.

Is it worth the money? NO. Is the increased throttle response a gimmick? IMHO, Yes. Is the wart ugly? That's subjective, but I like it and I get lots of postive comments on it. Is the timer portion of Sports Chrono feature worth it? It would be if it had a better mechanism for switching to a new lap as many features for this (especially the graphing) are very cool.

If you have the money, I'd definitely recommend getting it but if you don't then don't lose sleep thinking you are missing out on a must have feature.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I have some of the same feelings Ron. I now no longer ever have the Sports mode on in city driving. It is definitely a 'jerkier' ride in stop n'go conditions,...and the few times I have stalled my car have all been in Sport mode.
I do like having the button though,...I would have been just as happy with the "Sports Plus" package instead (hint hint, Porsche marketing, are you reading this?).
Old 07-09-2006, 04:37 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coochas
I have some of the same feelings Ron. I now no longer ever have the Sports mode on in city driving. It is definitely a 'jerkier' ride in stop n'go conditions,...and the few times I have stalled my car have all been in Sport mode.
I do like having the button though,...I would have been just as happy with the "Sports Plus" package instead (hint hint, Porsche marketing, are you reading this?).
mpg picked up any???
Old 07-09-2006, 04:40 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
mpg picked up any???
Just came back from VT, averaged over 20 mpg for 700 miles including lots of back roads driving.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:52 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice review Ronmart. Thanks
Old 07-09-2006, 10:04 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Doesn't the Sport Chrono package also contain the memory for seats, A/C and other things?

thanks, Mike
Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

I find the change in throttle mapping to be irritating. Very non linear and difficult to make fine thottle adjustments when hard charging. Initially enamored with it, I now find it tiresome.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:19 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdrums
Doesn't the Sport Chrono package also contain the memory for seats, A/C and other things?

thanks, Mike
Yes, it unlocks the individual settings which is Porsche's form of extortion. Although, I've been told that you can get your dealership to set any of those settings for you without Sports Chrono if you request it. You just can't do it yourself and tinker with them.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:37 AM
texas911
Race Car

I use the sport button on the track, I think it works great. Its more for a dual mode setup. More relaxed on the street but more aggressive on the track. Best of both worlds and relatively cheap as Porsche options go.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:31 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

The Sports Chrono IMO is a great feature. The settings it gives you for the headlamps, doorlocks and other personal settings are worth the money alone...

Besides, when my wife says, "only 10 minutes honey" when I am waiting for her at the mall I can show her the real time on the sport chrono stop watch!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:05 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you guys are being forthright about your experiences with the altered throttle map and are confirming what I had said all along about the inherent shortcomings with this gimmick.

It's also too bad that Porsche decided to package some features and personal settings into the Sport Chrono option, such as daytime running lamps! ... For crying out loud, what do these little convenience settings and features have to do with a so-called Sport option??? ... Seems to me, and I've said it before, that this was not one of the brightest ideas to come out of their marketing dept. And I wouldn't be surprised if they abandon this is subsequent model changes.

The whole package idea - the take it all or take none at all - is so unlike Porsche, which prides itself in offering ultimate customization and personalization, and smacks of those pre-packaged options offered by lesser manufacturers. .... Reminds me of those bills pushed through Congress stuffed with pork. If only we had line-item veto power.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono Question