Sponsored by:

My Sunday: Installed Das Schild, Viewed 997TT and CayTTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
Thanks for the link, now that the smart top is installed, that will be the next 'project'. Does it offer any sound insulation?
Oops - delayed response - sorry,...I haven't noticed any difference in sound.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:10 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Deven
Well it sound like the Das Shield is something that one should get, so the next question is from where?
I installed the Schild in my 06 C2S a few days ago and am very happy with the purchase. It looks stock and installs in two minutes. I also purchased the spare tire cover as well. These two items, combined with the emergency spare that I purchased, enabled me to acceptably resolve the spare tire situation in the 997. Pics to follow.

Here is the contact info:

8306 Wilshire Boulevard | Suite 122 | Beverly Hills, California 90211
800-933-3375 | 310-500-6215 | Fax: 310-391-9043
Email: info@dasschild.com
Old 07-20-2006, 06:39 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

WOW I never realized just how much trunk space that little spare takes up. Cooches would you say it takes up 75-80% of the trunk? I don't blame you for getting DAS shield, I wouldn't want that spare hitting the inside of my trunk.
Old 07-21-2006, 09:06 AM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by MHC2S
WOW I never realized just how much trunk space that little spare takes up. Cooches would you say it takes up 75-80% of the trunk? I don't blame you for getting DAS shield, I wouldn't want that spare hitting the inside of my trunk.
There is still room for other stuff; soft briefcase, workout bag, golf ready kit (shoes/shorts/etc). Like anything else with this primo ride, these small sacrifices are well worth the Porsche driving experience.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:41 PM
micgreeny
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my spare tire from a junk yard with tools, jack, ect. from a 996 for $350 but I have 18" rims (spare is 17") also got the DAS- shield very easy to install, thanks to cooces post, better safe than sorry later. only thing is not 100% sure if the 17" spare is OK. in my 99' had 18" rims but can't remember if the spare was a 17". I 'm sure it will work but wonder if it might mess with the cars computer??? --------------mike
Old 07-21-2006, 02:45 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Probably takes up half of the useable volume. Despite this, my wife and I were still able to pack about a hundred pounds of clothing and books into the car for a week's vacay to VT using mainly the back seats.
Groceries and such are now back seat items since I put the spare in the boot. A few bags of groceries will however still fit in front of the tire.
Old 07-21-2006, 03:49 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Frino
There is still room for other stuff; soft briefcase, workout bag, golf ready kit (shoes/shorts/etc). Like anything else with this primo ride, these small sacrifices are well worth the Porsche driving experience.
I hear ya, and agree a small sacrifice for pure driving pleasure we can all live with
Old 07-21-2006, 03:51 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coochas
Probably takes up half of the useable volume. Despite this, my wife and I were still able to pack about a hundred pounds of clothing and books into the car for a week's vacay to VT using mainly the back seats.
Groceries and such are now back seat items since I put the spare in the boot. A few bags of groceries will however still fit in front of the tire.
Hey thats not bad at all. My hats off to you, the spare and Das Shield combo is the smart way to go.
Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default OT - For cat people only.

Originally Posted by Cogito
OT - Don's cat adventure from Monday (for Dave & Johnny mostly),
I've been feeding an outdoor cat for a while now.
He's very brave and very sweet and after two years I decided to bring him "in".
He rubs up against me, gives me "kisses", and head butts when I go out
back to see/feed him.
This morning I tried to grab him and get him into a cat carrier for a
10:00 vet appt. for tests, worming, de-flea-ing, etc.
Here's what happened ...........................
It only cost me $60. For MY injuries.
The $60 was for a doctor visit for a Tetanus shot, antibiotics, 6 bandages
for both my hands, peroxide, tincture of methiolate, and triple antibiotic cream.
200 pound big brain humanoid definitely lost the "fight" in one quick
round to the 10 pound little brain feline.
Sampson (the victor) still lives (happily) outside and I am swallowing
human-thumb-size antibiotic pills and nursing my wounds inside.
Ouch, sorry to hear about your wounds, Don – external and internal. Sampson’s reaction, though, was predictable.

Reminds me of when I used to live in an upstairs apartment as a college student and came upon a litter of feral cats. I had just come home from class one day and was in the driveway about to head upstairs when the squeals of baby kitties caught my attention. There, on the other side of the driveway and in an opening under the neighbor’s raised floor house was a nest of newborn kittens struggling to suckle from a protective, vigilant mother. As I drew near to get a closer look she lowered her head aggressively and let out a silent hiss. I froze right there and backed away slowly, not wanting to disturb the little ones' feeding time and headed up the outdoors staircase. Later that warm evening as I was sitting outside on the covered landing at the top of the stairs reading an assignment, I happened to catch sight of the momma carrying one of her babies by the nape and disappearing inside the neighbor’s old garage, which was mainly used for storage. One by one she tiptoed quickly to the new digs until the entire litter was relocated.

The neighbors had a granddaughter about six that used to come and visit them all the time with her mom and one day she spied the little kittens, which were about a couple weeks old by then, playing just outside the garage door. She ran toward them in her excitement and they quickly scurried inside. She turned to me and asked if I had seen the kitties, and I said, "Oh yeah" and just smiled. I had actually forgotten about them, and now I was interested in getting me a pet.

So I went to the store and bought me a bag of Meow Mix for bait. I warmed up some milk and poured it over a small bowl of the Meow Mix and set it just outside the cracked-open garaged door and stood back safely out of sight. The wafted aroma of the well prepared bait made its way inside and proved irresistible to the momma and her kitties who peeked outside and after a slight hesitation began to devour the delicious meal and afterwards licked their chops and wiped their faces clean with the back of their paws. They looked so adorable I could have pounced and grabbed me one right then and there, but I was patient.

I did this several days in a row usually in the morning before heading out to class and each day I got a little closer just so they could get comfortable with my presence. One day a cute little orange tabby poked his head out as if he was anticipating my visit and came outside to get a head start on the action. By now they were about a month or so old and were at that frisky playful stage. Not being shy at all he took a few steps toward me but stopped before he got too close. So I set the bowl down several feet in front of him and stepped back and he approached and began to feed. I then walked slowly and reached for the bowl as he backed away, and moved it closer and closer to my side. I was amazed that he continued to follow the bowl all the way up the stairs to the landing. I set the bowl down and reached my hand slowly to pet him but he backed away each time. So I let him get really engrossed in eating and then slowly extended my hand and gently petted his back for the first time. He flinched a little but continued devouring – nothing was getting in the way of that. I did it again and he twitched his fur as though he was trying to shake off a fly.

And so began my taming of this little wild creature. It was funny because whenever he came up the stairs looking to be fed he exhibited a Pavlovian reaction and twitched his fur in anticipation of being fed. Cracked me up. (I actually made behavioral observations and used to take notes as I studied their behavior. I was surprised to observe jealousy and possessiveness -- of me!)

One day shortly after he had allowed me to pick him up and pet him in my hands and was getting used to that, the neighbor’s granddaughter happened to come outside and saw me holding and petting the kitten. In her excitement she came running towards me. It was like a slow motion scene as I tried to communicate to her by my frightened expression and wide open mouth, "Noooooooooo!!!"

What followed was predictable for a feral kitten. He launched himself from my gentle grip and dug a nice deep scratch near my right wrist that left a visible scar to this day.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:43 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Nice story Ben. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you!
Old 07-21-2006, 11:22 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, I know what you mean, except he didn't bite at all, he just used my hands as starting blocks and bolted out of there faster than Ben Johnson on steroids, and left a nice patch on my wrist. As you know, survival instincts immediately kick in for a feral animal and there's nothing you can do about it. He did come around after that feeling somewhat ashamed of himself for having done that.

I'll always remember that little guy. He used to do that growling noise cats make when they're angry when this other cat used to come around while he was visiting me. He was definitely possessive. That really opened my eyes to how amazing these creatures really are. Those were good times indeed, in spite of the lifetime scar.

Quick Reply: My Sunday: Installed Das Schild, Viewed 997TT and CayTTS