PDE Masters..report

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 01:39 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
MJones, do you get the drive the S on a more regular basis unlike the two day beginners class where you are relegated to the 997 for the majority of your track time and only get teased by the S (with PCCB's!) with just one track outing?
Jerry
When I attend I'm just another student... there is no favoritism and I'am relegated to the 997 just like everyone else.
Also am teased with the "S" for one session and for a lap or so it's a big brake adjustment with the PCCB...there initial bite is so phenomenal. Your eyeballs hit the windshield.
More interesting is going back to steel after PCCB...yikes... is there something wrong with the brakes?

A lap or two and all is sorted out.

Old 06-25-2006, 02:48 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by E55AMG
MJones, I know your penchant for road trips. You don't drive to Barber do you? Wondering if I should make a road trip out of it when I go. It's about 1,000 miles; might be fun.
DO A ROADTRIP!!!!
A 1,000 mile journey is a piece of cake.

I've done 3 roadtrips to PDE in the 997, two last year, one this year. The 997 is a gerat roadcar.

Always enjoy your posts on PDE and actually visited their webpage the other day. Will most likely go in the fall as I don't think AL will be all that pleasant in july/august LOL!
It was HOT last week, but the cars have A/C. Also got to experience tires going off. Most interesting was when the storm rolled is, temps dropped by 15°, grip came back in a big way, like a whole new car.

Still not convinced that lead/follow is the best way to learn as I've done both, and thought I learned a lot more with the instructor riding shotgun as opposed to following his line, but I'm still anxious to go.
The lead follow program works!! There is one way communication to you via radio. Listen to what they say....most is about the line...the line is everything.
Speed comes with comfort and the pace will quicken quite rapidly, if all is looking good. I'am talking about hitting marks within inches (6) Turn-in, Apex, Track-out.
Listen to what the instructors have to say...they know and have been driving at the pro level for years. This is what seperates the PDE instructor base from other schools.
PCA instructors are for the most part weekend warriers, that have jobs and drive for fun. Getting one who really "knows" is like throwing darts at a dart board.

Just looked at the schedule...I would highly recommend that you do the Two-Day High Performance Driving Course and the Masters back to back....Dates indicate that this is possible in July and Sept... well worth it and you will have a great progression over the 4 days. Make the time!!!

The worst thing to do is take the Two-Day High Performance Driving Course now and the Masters next year...For all intent and purpose you are starting over...driving IS about seat time.
Curious since you've been there SO many times why you don't (maybe you have, don't know) step up to Skip Barber or Bondurant (certainly closer to home) 4 day racing schools and then get into the racing series or arrive/drive type programs that they offer?
No really interest in the open wheel thing...Like to drive the Porsche and do various PCA DE and AutoX...Tho the Panoz school at Road Atlanta is interesting...
But Barber is so enjoyable getting it right and at speed.
When you break it down PDE is not all that expensive when you factor in Car Prep, fuel, tires (rental) Track rental, instructor$$, if you were to do it on your own
Is there a 12 step program for driving????

Old 06-25-2006, 04:46 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
DO A ROADTRIP!!!!
A 1,000 mile journey is a piece of cake.

I've done 3 roadtrips to PDE in the 997, two last year, one this year. The 997 is a gerat roadcar.

It was HOT last week, but the cars have A/C. Also got to experience tires going off. Most interesting was when the storm rolled is, temps dropped by 15°, grip came back in a big way, like a whole new car.

The lead follow program works!! There is one way communication to you via radio. Listen to what they say....most is about the line...the line is everything.
Speed comes with comfort and the pace will quicken quite rapidly, if all is looking good. I'am talking about hitting marks within inches (6) Turn-in, Apex, Track-out.
Listen to what the instructors have to say...they know and have been driving at the pro level for years. This is what seperates the PDE instructor base from other schools.
PCA instructors are for the most part weekend warriers, that have jobs and drive for fun. Getting one who really "knows" is like throwing darts at a dart board.

Just looked at the schedule...I would highly recommend that you do the Two-Day High Performance Driving Course and the Masters back to back....Dates indicate that this is possible in July and Sept... well worth it and you will have a great progression over the 4 days. Make the time!!!

The worst thing to do is take the Two-Day High Performance Driving Course now and the Masters next year...For all intent and purpose you are starting over...driving IS about seat time.

No really interest in the open wheel thing...Like to drive the Porsche and do various PCA DE and AutoX...Tho the Panoz school at Road Atlanta is interesting...
But Barber is so enjoyable getting it right and at speed.
When you break it down PDE is not all that expensive when you factor in Car Prep, fuel, tires (rental) Track rental, instructor$$, if you were to do it on your own
Is there a 12 step program for driving????

Yeah, 1,000 miles is not a big deal (although a little nervous about the spare tire thing!) Doing both back to back is a GREAT idea - Thanks! I'll have to look at the dates.

One other thing. I thought I saw on the PDE webpage in the FAQ's a qustion about bringing a guest. I thought is said for anothe $250 or something like that they can participate in all drills. I must have misread that. They can't allow someone to do the course for $250 can they?
Old 06-25-2006, 05:13 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

One other thing. I thought I saw on the PDE webpage in the FAQ's a qustion about bringing a guest. I thought is said for anothe $250 or something like that they can participate in all drills. I must have misread that. They can't allow someone to do the course for $250 can they?
For the $250
The guest can join us for all classroom and training sessions, as well as all meals. Guests will not be permitted to ride with participants, however they may ride with a PDE instructor during certain segments.
Lapping round the track and Hot Laps at the end...
Old 06-25-2006, 10:46 PM
ECS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks MJones - Just to clarify, I understand that the PASM and Sport button were disabled at PDE on the S, however did you notice a significant difference between the std. Carrera's suspension and S's PASM based suspension?

Also, was there discussion about the longevity of the Gen 2 PCCBs versus the chunking that use to occur on the Gen 1 version?

Maybe I will do the Masters PDE again with the 997s this time.
Thanks -ECS
Old 06-26-2006, 02:00 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ECS
Thanks MJones - Just to clarify, I understand that the PASM and Sport button were disabled at PDE on the S, however did you notice a significant difference between the std. Carrera's suspension and S's PASM based suspension?

Also, was there discussion about the longevity of the Gen 2 PCCBs versus the chunking that use to occur on the Gen 1 version?

Maybe I will do the Masters PDE again with the 997s this time.
Thanks -ECS
The "S" with PASM in normal I would say is a bit taughter than the Carrera also PASM will automaticly adjust to a firmer setting when conditions warrent.

As a test bed for the PCCB, the '05 "S" cars logged up to 8,000 track miles at Barber, driven by pro's who know how to brake to regular joes who have no clue. NO rotor problems, only pad replacement. I think that says alot about the durability of the Gen2 PCCB.

It's time for you sign-up and do the Masters again.....
Heck its in your backyard, 2hrs away.

Old 07-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

A quick question, what time of the year would be the 'ideal' time to go from a weather point of view (ie, warm, but not to humid, overcast/but not raining etc). I do not know much about the weather in that region but I was thinking October might be a good time of the year?
Old 07-16-2006, 01:29 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What sept event are you going to? I may join you if I can.

thanks
Old 07-16-2006, 01:45 PM
birdman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm attending PDE HP class Tuesday 7/18 and Wednesday 7/19. Anyone else?
Old 07-16-2006, 02:00 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm doing the Masters on 7/20-21

Doing the Masters in Sept as well on the 28-29 as well.

I'm addicted like crack...

When you break it down it is really not that costly...
Travel east...
Rent a 997 for 2 days
Hire a pro instructor for 2 days.
Rent a track for 2 days.

birdman- you should stay over for the Masters - theres room for you...
Mention me, Brian, to Jeff, John, or Cass....see what they say.....

Old 07-16-2006, 02:23 PM
birdman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My week was planned for PDE and then a trip to the Florida coast.
Somehow Florida sounds boring at the moment...
Old 07-16-2006, 03:50 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

I'm doing the Masters on 7/20-21

Doing the Masters in Sept as well on the 28-29 as well.

I'm addicted like crack...

When you break it down it is really not that costly...
Travel east...
Rent a 997 for 2 days
Hire a pro instructor for 2 days.
Rent a track for 2 days.

birdman- you should stay over for the Masters - theres room for you...
Mention me, Brian, to Jeff, John, or Cass....see what they say.....

Geez, you are out of control LOL! I think the dates you are going are the same dates you gave me the heads up on as far as doing both courses back to back? I gotta figure out a way to go. Fiscal year ends Sep. which makes it tough.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

It is really subjective, since the combo of 19's "stiff sidewalls" and PASM make for a tauter ride.

No aparent "grip" differences driving around...the 18's will last you longer and not carve off the outer edge as the 19's will....(I'am on my fourth set of fronts).

For me the 18's performed just fine tho the 19's may have been a bit crisper on turn-in at 70+mph.

FACT: There are no pro level cars that run 19" tires today.

Hope this helps...
Maybe a weight benefit too? Does anyone know the weight difference? Looks like the PS2 weights are comparable between 18 and 19 N specs so whatever the wheel weight difference might be the only benefit.

Quick Reply: PDE Masters..report