Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

De-ionized water: how well do solutions like CRSpotless work?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 195 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Yes, in theory. The whole idea is to expose the water to as much resin as possible. However if the flow rate is too high or there is not enough surface area for the severity of the dissolved minerals than you need more "cleaning" of the water.

Now, I assume you put the flow restrictors in properly. Do you have a softener upstream from the de-ionizer?
Yes we have a water pressure regulator, and a large water softener. If someone in Arizona has a solution I am listening.....
Old 07-06-2006, 11:06 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
The whole idea is to expose the water to as much resin as possible. However if the flow rate is too high or there is not enough surface area for the severity of the dissolved minerals than you need more "cleaning" of the water.
Hey Herman, it seems easy enough to build one of these filtration units yourself, don't you think? That's what I'm thinking of doing.

If I recall correctly the resin beads get discolored once they're spent. If so, it would make sense to make the canister out of clear plastic for easy detection of change out time.

That waterstick looks unwieldy, being so long like that. It might work for a final hose down before drying.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:12 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
I have a CRSpotless as well, the smaller on-cart unit. I used the DI water for the whole process - wetting, soaping, and rinsing. It worked amazingly well on the first four or five cars I washed, but then the quality dropped off dramatically on the last car I washed. Spots everywhere.

I called the company, and turns out the filter may be spent after just five washes. Reason being that here in SW Florida we have a soft water filter, and soft water makes ions which are apparently more slippery and more difficult for the filters in the device to remove. The best way to wash here, I'm told, is to use regular water for the wetting and soaping, then switch to DI for only the final rinse. This way you conserve as much of the treated water as possible.
UPDATE: I installed the new CRSpotless filters, and washed my nonmetallic black S4 using DI water for the wetting, soaping, and rinsing processes. Pulled into the garage last night with the car dripping wet. This morning, zero spots. Car has never looked cleaner, no film, nothing.

I think the trick with the device is to ration water through the device carefully. That is, wet and soap using regular water, then DI for the rinsing process, using probably 4-5 gallons. There's a restrictor that keeps the water and 2 gallons per minute, and figure two minutes to rinse a regular size car.

http://crspotless.com/
Old 07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
Hey Herman, it seems easy enough to build one of these filtration units yourself, don't you think? That's what I'm thinking of doing.

If I recall correctly the resin beads get discolored once they're spent. If so, it would make sense to make the canister out of clear plastic for easy detection of change out time.

That waterstick looks unwieldy, being so long like that. It might work for a final hose down before drying.
When I worked in the lab we did not rely on color though that may work today. Generally we relied upon electrical resistance. When the ionic content is low the water has much higher resistance and the load is dropped thru a low voltage bulb. As the conductivity of the water increases due to rising ion content the current eventually conducts thru the water and the bulb extinguishes.

The "trick" is getting the water into contact with enough surface area of the resin so cartriges are usually designed to enhance exposure and flow in an efficent manner. I suppose an ideal system would have some type of shallow trough where the water filtered through on or two layers of resin over a broad area but this isn't too practical.

I just bought the CRS Big Boy unit and will deploy it as soon as my baby gets back from it's hi-intensity strength training program at the dealer's shop.

Quick Reply: De-ionized water: how well do solutions like CRSpotless work?