Sponsored by:

exhaust mod feedback

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 08:58 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts
Default exhaust mod feedback

Does anyone have any experience with this type of exhaust mod?
Pfaff Porsche in Toronto performs this style of mod on 996 and 997s and claim much success with it.

Attached Images  
Old 06-22-2006, 10:29 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like they just bypassed the entire muffler.
How much do they charge ? and why buy it ? just remove the muffler and you have the same result .
Old 06-22-2006, 11:02 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Rolf Stumberger
It looks like they just bypassed the entire muffler.
How much do they charge ? and why buy it ? just remove the muffler and you have the same result .
Less weight too!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:44 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A subtle but seemingly effective modification
Old 06-22-2006, 12:42 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by gpjli2
A subtle but seemingly effective modification

I'm not so sure about the subtle.
The speed traps will hear you coming from 5 miles away. Lol
Old 06-22-2006, 05:00 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 468 Likes on 263 Posts

I think they are a little outa whack on the pricing...
but here is what they have stated...
"We build our own sport mufflers. They are $1800.00 plus $234.00 for installation plus all applicable taxes. Our mufflers are modified factory mufflers, give you more sound, have less backpressure, thus increasing horsepower as would any other exhaust system. We install and supply our sport mufflers on an exchange basis, therefore keeping your old mufflers. It is exactly like stock. Essentially we add a bypass pipe from the inlet to the outlet. It sounds better than the PSE system, we have not had one unhappy customer since we started instaling them. We have the mufflers ready made."

Old 06-22-2006, 05:29 PM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
I think they are a little outa whack on the pricing...
but here is what they have stated...
"We build our own sport mufflers. They are $1800.00 plus $234.00 for installation plus all applicable taxes. Our mufflers are modified factory mufflers, give you more sound, have less backpressure, thus increasing horsepower as would any other exhaust system. We install and supply our sport mufflers on an exchange basis, therefore keeping your old mufflers. It is exactly like stock. Essentially we add a bypass pipe from the inlet to the outlet. It sounds better than the PSE system, we have not had one unhappy customer since we started instaling them. We have the mufflers ready made."

A " little" outa whack on the pricing ?
For $ 1800 they want to sell me someone elses old used mufflers and want mine to boot ?

And people say Porsche charges too much for accessories ?
For $1725 I get brand new factory PSE mufflers , complete with pneumatic bypass valves and all controls . AND I get to keep my old mufflers ( not that I want to keep them) Lol

Ask them if they are willing to buy mine when I get the PSE's installed .

Hey, I bet that's where the dealers sell our old ones to after they retrofit the PSE's ?( I'm going to take mine home and hang them on the garage wall as modern art )
Old 06-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Queram
Instructor

I think any decent muffler shop can do this. There was a thread while ago that showed the regular muffler vs PSE. Th only remarkable difference I saw was the bypass valve. The PSE looked very much like this. I am planning to visit a muffler guy that makes custom exhaust applications to see if he can do something like this for me. PSE does not make any claimed HP gains (cant remember if it was light or same weight) and I personally would do the full time noise trick and do not need a button so it is unlogical to spend money on PSE, I would just do custom muffler mod and replace the restricted headers. (that is until I decide to spend some cash on some light mufflers that sound good and make liitle more power)

Anybody gone this route?
Old 06-23-2006, 08:24 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by Queram
I think any decent muffler shop can do this. There was a thread while ago that showed the regular muffler vs PSE. Th only remarkable difference I saw was the bypass valve. The PSE looked very much like this. I am planning to visit a muffler guy that makes custom exhaust applications to see if he can do something like this for me. PSE does not make any claimed HP gains (cant remember if it was light or same weight) and I personally would do the full time noise trick and do not need a button so it is unlogical to spend money on PSE, I would just do custom muffler mod and replace the restricted headers. (that is until I decide to spend some cash on some light mufflers that sound good and make liitle more power)

Anybody gone this route?
I was told ( and confirmed ) that the PSE's are the exact same mufflers as the standards .
The only difference is that the PSE's have an additional pipe( with a valve in it ) connected from the muffler to the exhaust pipe . You can clearly see the connection location (upper left side of muffler ) in the picture above .
The exhaust will exit the muffler after going only thru two chambers instead of three , therefore having a louder exhaust note.

I still want the option of going into "stealth" mode occasionally though, so I will stay with the factory version including the controls.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A " little" outa whack on the pricing ?
For $ 1800 they want to sell me someone elses old used mufflers and want mine to boot ?

And people say Porsche charges too much for accessories ?
For $1725 I get brand new factory PSE mufflers , complete with pneumatic bypass valves and all controls . AND I get to keep my old mufflers ( not that I want to keep them) Lol

Ask them if they are willing to buy mine when I get the PSE's installed .

Hey, I bet that's where the dealers sell our old ones to after they retrofit the PSE's ?( I'm going to take mine home and hang them on the garage wall as modern art )
I agree, this jig-saw welding job does not justify the labor cost of $1,800.00 clams. Furthermore, no-warranty!
Old 06-23-2006, 01:19 PM
FlyingLow
Racer

Thumbs up

I was told ( and confirmed ) that the PSE's are the exact same mufflers as the standards .
The only difference is that the PSE's have an additional pipe( with a valve in it ) connected from the muffler to the exhaust pipe . You can clearly see the connection location (upper left side of muffler ) in the picture above .
The exhaust will exit the muffler after going only thru two chambers instead of three , therefore having a louder exhaust note.

I still want the option of going into "stealth" mode occasionally though, so I will stay with the factory version including the controls.
RUF did the modification for me that you describe above. They added the by-pass pipe and connected it to the location on the upper left that you have pictured. Essentially, what they've done is by-pass some of the muffler. It's like being in sport mode all the time and sounds freakin' great. Plus they only charged me a couple hundred dollars to do it.

Quick Reply: exhaust mod feedback