Sponsored by:

Car Waxing Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 02:45 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Waxing Problem

I have read a LOT of the posts talking about this and I don't remember finding the answer...so here goes:

How do you wax around the door and hood seams? More importantly, when you nick a piece of plastic with wax it discolors the plastic....how do you get that off?

When I notice that I've done that, I have successfully wiped it right off, but when I miss one and notice it a few days later, I can't get it out. As for the seams, I'm guessing there is just no easy answer; either people don't get right up to the edges, do it very carefully or pop the hood and doors, etc when they're done and wipe it off.

Thanks for any advice

matt
Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to use the blue painter tape to tape up all your trimming before waxing
Old 06-16-2006, 03:36 PM
CJC
Instructor

When you say plastic do you mean rubber ?
The seals around windows etc. ? If so use a
detail brush or an old tooth brush and dip it
in (ready?) peanut butter. The oils in the peanut
butter break down the white chalky wax residue
and condition the rubber at the same time. I
also use a product for the plastic cowl
(in front of the windshield called Black Again which
works great. Its available at autogeek.net for $7.99
either one works fine.
Good luck
Old 06-16-2006, 03:48 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I use P21 wax and it does not cause any discoloring if over wax on rubber or plastic.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Another trick to keep wax out of the door/hood seam areas is to stuff some thin cardboard in there--the type that shirts are packaged in.

Believe the Back To Black is made by Mother's and can be found at auto parts stores.

Also, check out OC Ben's links on polishing and waxing.
Old 06-16-2006, 04:13 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking about OCBen. What happen to him. Haven't heard from him for a long time ever since you know what???????????
Old 06-16-2006, 05:12 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Thank you much! I'm going to try the peanut butter because it would make a fun story if it works. I have read OC Ben's posts, but I don't remember all what he wrote. It was very comprehensive and I seem to get self-induced ADHD when reading it...despite how informative it is. (Someone should write a 'Cliff Notes' version)

In fact, because of all you I now have an obscene amount of car detailing products.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:27 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Blue painters tape is by far the easiest method. You can go faster as well because you do not have to be concerned with neatness.
Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

With the 3M blue painter's tape, there's two sticky-ness levels - low and lower. Both work, but the low stick stuff pulls off after several hours with zero issues... it's labeled #2080 and has orange markings inside the spool... works like a charm! Get it at Home Dee...

Good luck,

-don
Old 06-17-2006, 09:02 AM
MMD
Banned

Just wax freely, at job's end run along areas where wax is left over with a toothbrush.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:25 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Use Zaino or P21S...neither one will harm the plastic/rubber (no need to tape off). When waxing is done, use Aerospace 303 on the plastic/rubber parts to protect them from the elements.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, don't waste your precious time taping off. You're not painting body panels, for crying out loud. The only time I use tape is when I'm color sanding a car to keep from accidentally touching a panel I already power polished smooth.

I read on the Mini forum a post by some guy proudly saying he spent close to an hour meticulously taping the entire car before waxing. ... Sheesh, what a waste of valuable time that could be better spent elsewhere. Poor guy is simply misguided. On the Mini there are quite a few plastic trim pieces especially around the wheel wells that can potentially get wax on them and get discolored with a whitish haze as Matt described. ... I haven't detailed my Mini yet, but when I get around to waxing it I'll just immediately wipe off any wax that gets on the plastic molding and then apply a little Vinylex to the area. In fact, although I had requested no detailing by the dealer, I was later told that at the vehicle distribution center they apply a quick coat of wax on all the cars (probably not a wax I would use). This explains why a few days after taking delivery my wife pointed out this whitish haze on the tops of two of the fender plastic trim that I easily wiped off and treated with Vinylex.

I haven't tried Aerospace 303 like Statman but I hear it's an excellent product. I'm going to order some someday but for now the Vinylex works just fine.

Oh, as for where have I been? I told you guys I'll be super busy for several weeks. Just bought a house a couple weeks ago and I'm going to do some major remodeling before we move in. Getting a few general contractors to submit their bids and getting permits from the city (will be removing a load bearing wall to open up some space on the ground floor). Even though the house is still fairly new (6 yrs old), we're gonna give the place a fresh contemporary makeover on the inside.
Old 06-17-2006, 10:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
I haven't tried Aerospace 303 like Statman but I hear it's an excellent product. I'm going to order some someday but for now the Vinylex works just fine.
Ben...I used to use vinylex and went to Aero 303 a couple of years back...way better and it can be used on leather as well (not as a softener, but for UV protection...like the dash). Try it you'll like it!

Quick Reply: Car Waxing Problem