Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just heard on a celeb mag show that Jerry Seinfeld

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

Is that, 3 hundred, 3 thousand, 30 thousand or 300 hundred thousand dollars? If they're 300 dollars, I'll take two!
Old 06-15-2006, 07:13 PM
Speed
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by uzj100
Is that, 3 hundred, 3 thousand, 30 thousand or 300 hundred thousand dollars? If they're 300 dollars, I'll take two!
I think it's actually over $400,000 because Excellence Magazine ran an article a while back about a CA company that was buying up low mileage used 959's in Europe and bringing them back here and legalizing them. I remember that the price mentioned in the article was more than for a new C-GT.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by TNF
Just to be clear: You can buy federalized 959's all day long for $300 and drive them all you want to these days. As for the 959 being the 'centerpiece' of his collection, I can tell you it is not remotely in the top 5 value-wise.

TNF
$300!?
hell, i'll take 6!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default proud poppa

saw your post re: seinfeld's blue turbo s. fyi, i currently am the proud poppa of this amazing animal. got from sloan a bit ago.
anyway, if anyone ahs more info on the car, articles or other tidbits, i'd love to see tthem.
u can see some more photos at www.trademanagellc.com
i'm gonna take a few more in a few days, i've just been swamped.
regards,
steve
Old 11-03-2006, 08:46 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by spg993tt
saw your post re: seinfeld's blue turbo s. fyi, i currently am the proud poppa of this amazing animal. got from sloan a bit ago.
anyway, if anyone ahs more info on the car, articles or other tidbits, i'd love to see tthem.
u can see some more photos at www.trademanagellc.com
i'm gonna take a few more in a few days, i've just been swamped.
regards,
steve
Congrats Steve. I love aircooled 911's especially turbos (owned a bunch of them over the years) the 993 Turbo S is a true keeper. Many, many miles of smiles

Last edited by 500; 11-03-2006 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:09 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

This thread has been around for some time. Thus, the early entries have dated information.

The 959 was first imported by Otis Chandler with a special show arrangement for the car,--back when they were the rage. In time others sought methods to get theirs into the USA. Bill Gates and others in his circle sought to get them through the DOT. He alledgedly put some of his software guys together to build a program that would simulate the dynamics of a 959 crash in lieu of an actual crash for the Feds. It was accepted as a special bill was passed allowing the 959 to enter the USA. There is a firm in the San Jose area that will fix them up, give them an appropriate HP boost (commensurate with a modern day 'super car') and they are sometimes for sale.

For Steve,--I'm sorry I'm on the wrong coast to get our two blue turquoise cars together! (P.S.--your picture page has the color incorrectly listed as Cobalt blue in and out.)
Old 11-03-2006, 11:29 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Canepa Design is the company doing the "USification"...Bruce Canepa has quite a collection himslef..You can see it on his web site....
Old 11-04-2006, 06:19 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

turquois is what i would call the inevitable male flaw. i know its turquoise but somewhere, someplace,someone said cobalt and ever since, i always say cobalt. time to get out the flash cars and write the word turquoise down on the paper about 100 times. thx.

those 959s are simply amazing looking cars.

love the photos of your car. regards...sg

Originally Posted by Edgy01
This thread has been around for some time. Thus, the early entries have dated information.

The 959 was first imported by Otis Chandler with a special show arrangement for the car,--back when they were the rage. In time others sought methods to get theirs into the USA. Bill Gates and others in his circle sought to get them through the DOT. He alledgedly put some of his software guys together to build a program that would simulate the dynamics of a 959 crash in lieu of an actual crash for the Feds. It was accepted as a special bill was passed allowing the 959 to enter the USA. There is a firm in the San Jose area that will fix them up, give them an appropriate HP boost (commensurate with a modern day 'super car') and they are sometimes for sale.

For Steve,--I'm sorry I'm on the wrong coast to get our two blue turquoise cars together! (P.S.--your picture page has the color incorrectly listed as Cobalt blue in and out.)
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by MMD
He was interviewed about his Porsche hobby and he said it was "stupid." Like he enjoyed it and all but wasn't particularly proud of having it as a hobby. Like a bunch of older guys getting together and talking about fishing or golf or taking naps..., funny because I feel the same way. All this energy going into something better suited for grade school kids on summer vacation. Kinda fun but don't take it at all seriously.

OTOH, HIS collection is truely appreciating, by virture of his owning the cars they instantly are worth more... . So for him it's a fan-tastic investment.
So, in your mind it is not good to have any type of hobby that you are really passionate about? Whether it be cars, golf, fishing, skiing, gardening, boating.... whatever...I think it is VERY healthy to be passionate about something. I can tell you of countless women whose husbands have some of the aforementioned "passions" and they (the wives) say..."I really don't have a passion or hobby of any kind but wish that I did".

I'm glad and proud I have a passion for cars, racing and golf. Keeps me off the streets.

Since when is a car collection or car "passion" suited for grade school kids? Where would all of your "energy" go if you weren't passionate about something?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:13 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

you and i subscribe to the same theories, as do probably most. its either or none. in between is bleh. i think its great to have incredible passion for a certain hobby, a sport, a collection. if you love rowing, then go nuts. be the best rower that exsists. take no prisoners and take it as far as it goes. its right there at the periphere of sane/insane that wildly good stuff happens. i think speaking to a non-porsche person, you can get self-conscious about the # of cars he has. its very very lavish, very "over the top"/ granted, we'd all love his disposable income and if we did, we probably do something just like him. but to an outsider, if one cared about impressions, maybe thats a reasonable response. glad noone is asking me questions from behind a microphone, finding myself on the cover of ET Magazine. The dude must adore the porsches, just love them to death. he's a fanatic and thats great.

i for one am proud of my compulsive obsessive personality. its led me to a lot of great successes. go nuts. nuts is fun.

Originally Posted by amerlemans
So, in your mind it is not good to have any type of hobby that you are really passionate about? Whether it be cars, golf, fishing, skiing, gardening, boating.... whatever...I think it is VERY healthy to be passionate about something. I can tell you of countless women whose husbands have some of the aforementioned "passions" and they (the wives) say..."I really don't have a passion or hobby of any kind but wish that I did".

I'm glad and proud I have a passion for cars, racing and golf. Keeps me off the streets.

Since when is a car collection or car "passion" suited for grade school kids? Where would all of your "energy" go if you weren't passionate about something?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:47 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
So, in your mind it is not good . . . . . if you weren't passionate about something?
that fellow (mmd) was banned for a period of time and quit posting here, thank god
Originally Posted by spg993tt
i for one am proud of my compulsive obsessive personality. its led me to a lot of great successes. go nuts. nuts is fun.
i'm all over that! toss in a little mania for good measure
nut-job jeff
Old 11-04-2006, 10:38 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Hmmmm....

I can understand 'collecting stuff'. Most of what I collect is crap. But, when you have more money than Ethiopia to spend on a 'collection', I become ... well ... less than enthusiastic about it.

Seinfeld and Leno (and others) have more money to spend on cars than we spend on the college eductions of our 37 children!

Wow ...!

Many folks that are in the entertainment venue are ... quite frankly ... grossly over paid. Their evolvement in 'world problems' (other that running their collective liberal yaps) is pretty lame and useless. Of course, they don't have much education or contact with the real world, so I don't expect much more. (wish I had a pretty fwace,eh... )

But, owning a great deal of Porsches (or any other marque) is nothing to be envious. Many 'stars' are paid 20M to make a movie, or a million to make a 30 minute 'sit com'... Gawd, what has happened here?! This is insane!

So, owning a lot of 'nice' cars is just a matter of having a considerable amount o'coin. Shocker. One does not need intelligence, taste, ability to drive the car, passion for the marque, education, yada, yada.... to have the 'collection'. Just the bread to have it.

I have 6 Battery Tender units hooked up to same/same number of vehicles/motorized units. I just bought 3 more tending units. I wonder how many Leno or Seinfeld have? Oh, wait ... they must have a few folks that maintain the cars in a temperature/humidity maintained structure. (BTW, most of my vehicles are motorcycles, or lawn tractors and such .. )

How nice for the 'collectors'. I'll just go see if my chain saw starts.

I am not impressed. A bit envious ... but, I'll just stay where I am presently. Seinfeld isn't all that funny either, IMO. I'm sure others will differ. I could hire writers, too.
Old 11-05-2006, 01:40 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MJones
The 959 is one sweet technologically advanced ride
http://erntheburn.tripod.com/autos/959/

Pictured below, the only one in the US was legally imported.
It is sweet!!

Bill Gates got one legally imported too. I've seen his 4 times. They are major lemons though - he has to get it worked on by Porsche (usually sending the engine back to Germany) every time he wants to drive it.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:25 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I can understand 'collecting stuff'. Most of what I collect is crap.
crap always makes for a nice collection?
you obviously have good taste?

But, when you have more money than Ethiopia to spend on a 'collection', I become ... well ... less than enthusiastic about it.
so you dont get enthusiastic over wealthy peoples collections for no reason other than they have a lot of money?
Seinfeld and Leno (and others) have more money to spend on cars than we spend on the college eductions of our 37 children! Wow ...!
who the heck is "we" w/ 37 children?
i guess again you are making your point about not liking collections of people
w/ a lot of money? and specifically people in the entertainment industry.

Many folks that are in the entertainment venue are ... quite frankly ... grossly over paid. Their evolvement in 'world problems' (other that running their collective liberal yaps) is pretty lame and useless. Of course, they don't have much education or contact with the real world, so I don't expect much more. (wish I had a pretty fwace,eh... )
what in the heck are you taking about and how does it relate to collecting automobiles?
but now we understand that all entertainment people are stupid liberals that are lame and useless?
and apparently you arent much to look at?

But, owning a great deal of Porsches (or any other marque) is nothing to be envious. Many 'stars' are paid 20M to make a movie, or a million to make a 30 minute 'sit com'... Gawd, what has happened here?! This is insane!
so now we should not envy people that have large collections because how much movie stars and tv stars are paid?
you seem to have an obsession w/ how much entertainers get paid!?

So, owning a lot of 'nice' cars is just a matter of having a considerable amount o'coin. Shocker. One does not need intelligence, taste, ability to drive the car, passion for the marque, education, yada, yada.... to have the 'collection'. Just the bread to have it.
yes, that's pretty much the way the economy works. you have to pay for goods w/ money, credit, or trade.
I have 6 Battery Tender units hooked up to same/same number of vehicles/motorized units. I just bought 3 more tending units. I wonder how many Leno or Seinfeld have? Oh, wait ... they must have a few folks that maintain the cars in a temperature/humidity maintained structure.
again you display jealously towards people in the entertainment industry that make a lot of money.
and you also let us know how many battery tenders you have?

(BTW, most of my vehicles are motorcycles, or lawn tractors and such .. )
what? now your pissed at collectors because your chain saw may not start?
I am not impressed. A bit envious ...
i thought we were not supposed to be envious?
you're also REALLY jealous!

but, I'll just stay where I am presently.
what ever that means?
Seinfeld isn't all that funny either, IMO.
i think you're going against popular opinion here?
I'm sure others will differ.
god! i hope so!
I could hire writers, too.
maybe you ought to hire writers and go into entertainment and make your millions?
then you wouldnt have to be so jealous and envious of wealthy entertainers,
and you too could be a lame, useless, stupid liberal w/ a large car collection
Old 11-05-2006, 10:28 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Baggerdude
I can understand 'collecting stuff'. Most of what I collect is crap. But, when you have more money than Ethiopia to spend on a 'collection', I become ... well ... less than enthusiastic about it.

Seinfeld and Leno (and others) have more money to spend on cars than we spend on the college eductions of our 37 children!

Wow ...!

I have 6 Battery Tender units hooked up to same/same number of vehicles/motorized units. I just bought 3 more tending units. I wonder how many Leno or Seinfeld have? Oh, wait ... they must have a few folks that maintain the cars in a temperature/humidity maintained structure. (BTW, most of my vehicles are motorcycles, or lawn tractors and such .. )

I am not impressed. A bit envious ... but, I'll just stay where I am presently. Seinfeld isn't all that funny either, IMO. I'm sure others will differ. I could hire writers, too.

There is a guy that posts in here (I forget his screename) but think his real name is Mike. This guy (Mike) has about 10 exotic vehicles (Lambo, Ferrari, CGT, Ford GT, etc.) worth over $1MM and he sounds like the most down to earth, level headed guy in the world. Are you "less than enthusiastic" about his stable. I was WOWED the first time I saw it and even more wowed with his down to earth attitude. I have never once heard Jerry Seinfeld brag about his car collection.

I am on board with you about MOST of Hollywood entertainers. Namely the ones that spout their political drivle all over the place. Most of these folks live in a dream world and have no concept of reality. Perhaps Seinfeld is one of those. I don't know because he isn't on the screen yapping about how he can save the world (see Bono, Streisand, Clooney, Pitt, Robbins, Penn et al) and how George Bush is worse than Hitler. I don't recall him being like that when his show was on the air either. As far as being funny? Dude, you are definately in the minority here. I saw this guy do stand up at the Kennedy Center in DC about 4-5 years ago and he was phenominal. He said about three curse words and made ZERO political jokes. And in case you didn't know, about 99% of his stand up stuff is written by him.

As far as what the entertainers and professional athletes get paid? Yeah, its pretty effing ridiculous but what can you do? I, myslef, don't go to the movies anymore and don't rent DVDs either. I am less than enthused about Hollywood....but I am pretty damn impressed with JS's collection of Porsches.

If you own 43 cars from the same manufacturer (regardless of how wealthy you are) then you are pretty damn passionate about that type of vehicle. Dontcha think?

Quick Reply: I just heard on a celeb mag show that Jerry Seinfeld