Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just heard on a celeb mag show that Jerry Seinfeld

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 12:05 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rather have him spending his loose change on Porkers rather than politics. At least his Porsche collection is something to envy!
Old 11-05-2006, 01:00 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One point that was missed in Baggerdudes essay was that, and this applies to anyone who buys anything (including just a single Porsche) is that buying is merely buying. Allow me to explain: It's one thing to buy- anyone with money can do that. It is another thing to spend the time and learn how it was put together, it is another thing to learn how to drive it fast..... When people compliment you on the car, buyers can's (shouldn't?) really feel good... not that they should feel bad, but the guy who should feel good is the team in Stuttgart who actually sweated over the details.... who gave it its beauty. So I guess Baggerdude is not all that impressed with ownership- even of a fleet of cars.....
Old 11-05-2006, 04:50 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

How can you NOT be impressed? There a lots of people out there with as much or more money than Seinfeld. He chooses to spend some of his money on the cars we love. A friend of mine saw him at Pebble Beach and said he had no pose, was approachable and really didn't like any of the cars except the Porsches. A couple years ago, he was scheduled to do a standup show in Charlotte and came the day before to attend the local P club autocross, sign a few autographs and look at local members cars.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

lots of good content up here. i think we could all agree that most comedians, athletes are well overpaid. it hink a lot of people are well over-paid, probably including myself. but the market is the market. if you can bring value to the table, bring profits to your 'employees' or shareholders, and they want to pay you top dollar, then i say take the top dollar. that is capitalism.
i think the focus should be more on what you do with the money. who knows what people do with their money to benefit society, or the community. i personally commit a lot of monies and time to my local community. my wife and i have a charitable entity. we do different things with the childrens' school, and the nurserys mainly becuase wifey is a chairwomen in the system, and this gives her some buying power when she's involved in a program.
we got behind a youth baseball team last year that was having a hard time finding equipment, monies, and made sre they had the best. it was kind of fun going to the games and seeing th ekids perform. i generally like getting involved ins something that is fun also, however important. i gave monies to the katrina and tsunami relief efforts, but for whatever reason, i just didnt get behind that. so who knows what jerry gets behind, nor does he hav ean obligation to share with us.
the guy makes great money. g-d bless!!! that money, in any one else's hands, he cant control. atleast in his, he can determine how its spent. he buys nice porsches'. nice cars. he might have/be giving millions$ to charitable causes.

for me, half the fun is taking care of them..making them your own. i spent the better part of the week getting the warehouse sqaured away, getting the car capsusles squared up..must have been to home depot 1/2 dozen times, and sears antoehr 1/2 dozen. checking and testing the ADT alarm system. figuring out best ocnfiguration for parking thing. my shareholders always called me a one-arm-paper hanger, but i dont know any other way. you want it done right, to your standards, do it yourself. or when you know you are outmatched, get the best.

maybe he doesnt have the time. maybe his collection is so severe its impossible for him to maintain himself. who knows. not for us to know.

he perpetuates the sport; he maintains and preserves great vehicles within our world of enjoyment. the rest is outside our knowledge and we probably have no right to commment.

nice or not nice at meetings? i dont know about you guys, but most of the time, in most areas of my life, people/things annoy me. i dont run through life trying to be nice. i try to be credible, have sincerity and be reliable and honorable. but nice unfortunately is not on my list. guy is in the spotlight, cameras on him all the time. no peace, no relaxation. everywhere he goes he's hawked. go to a porsche event, everyone is all over him.

i kind of thought he was funny, but George and Kramer far more ridiculous.
the dude was a stand up comedian, then made $1mil episode for a tv show. i think he dd qute well for himself and if he can convert that wealth to do well for others in time, after taking care of self and family, he did well.

Originally Posted by Carcam
How can you NOT be impressed? There a lots of people out there with as much or more money than Seinfeld. He chooses to spend some of his money on the cars we love. A friend of mine saw him at Pebble Beach and said he had no pose, was approachable and really didn't like any of the cars except the Porsches. A couple years ago, he was scheduled to do a standup show in Charlotte and came the day before to attend the local P club autocross, sign a few autographs and look at local members cars.
Old 11-05-2006, 07:06 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

I think it is impressive to design cars, engineer cars, restore cars, race cars and fix cars. Whether a very funny guy buys them or not, they exist.... albeit in more than one place. He merely buys them and puts them in a room.... I actually think my mom could do that.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:13 PM
phantomias33
Rennlist Member

Default Yes...Street Legal 959's still for sale

Buy a 579 bhp 959 here today!

Or if you prefer Red instead of Silver
Old 11-05-2006, 10:09 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Cool

To each his own...to me I wouldn't want to collect just for coleecting sake. I would like to buy a few cars to drive occasionally, but not to simply view.
Half the thrill of owning a nice car, to me anyway, is the care you put into it each and every day to keep it at peak performance and looking sharp. There is not enough hours in the day for me to do more than 3 cars.
Whatever flops your mop, if you can afford it and want it, do it!
I can't afford it, but do it anyway!

Last edited by stubenhocker; 11-05-2006 at 10:11 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
maybe you ought to hire writers and go into entertainment and make your millions?
then you wouldnt have to be so jealous and envious of wealthy entertainers,
and you too could be a lame, useless, stupid liberal w/ a large car collection
icon ...

Thanx for the OTT OCD dissection of my post. If I wanted more psychiatric advice I'd pay for it. Oh, wait ... you can do it for no charge. Thanx, bro.

You seem to have missed the point of my post. Perhaps I'm just to 'between the lines' for you. Oh, wait (once again...), you have read EVERY line and posted a response.

Wow ... !

The point I'm making is simply that gobbs of money allows folks to purchase a great deal of 'stuff'. Mansions, jewels, art, cars, yada, yada. The more money, the more stuff. Collections of stuff.

Yeah, I'm a bit envious of folks with hundreds of millions of USDs, but not all that much. I'm happy with where I am ... wealth-wise. I don't have to sign napkins or body parts when I venture 'outside'.

My collection of crap is composed of wood scraps, carpet remnants, screws, metal and such. Perhaps bad taste, but useful stuff all the same. I do have a couple cars, a truck ... but, doubt if that really composes a 'collection'.

I think that having a collection of cars (like Seinfeld and Leno) that rank as "the largest" or "most significant" or whatever adjective can be applied is fine IF they want to SHOW them to others. Like in the word 'museum', like Chandler. Simply having a great many cars (or other stuff) that one hordes, drives occasionally and only views privately is not kewl. Having a bevy o'folks to dust the stuff and make sure it runs is also ... well, so Elvis or Howard Hughes, eh.

But, they can do as they please. It is, of course, their stuff.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:49 AM
mcjack
Cruisin'

Smile funny to read all of this.....

funny to read all of this.....

I spoke to one german- guy who fixed one of apriciate Cars in Southampton and he said he never would believe somebody telling him Seinfeld is a crazy guy - in his way Seinfeld is crazy with his Porsch and he even came to him(mechanic) when the car was fixed and thanked him for doing it.......THATs something the mechanic would like more than charging higher rates!!!!
Sounds nuts but this mechanic even will work for less money for somebody who apriciate the work done and who likes to drive the Porsch the way they were build for: daily fun !

By the way : If someone got an idea for getting Seinfeld on a photo with a porsch & signed .....I think i will bring it to this guy and he´ll fix my car for free
Old 02-20-2007, 11:59 PM
jazman
AutoX

William Shatner is Canadien? BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:46 AM
GeoMedic
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jazman
William Shatner is Canadien? BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY!
Not actually seeing where this came from but...

No, Shatner is Canadian... with an "a"... big difference for many.

Oh and BTW... so was Scotty!

Quick Reply: I just heard on a celeb mag show that Jerry Seinfeld