Sponsored by:

Sport Chrono.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 11:53 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Persuader
On the Turbo yes the Chrono comes with overboost but as this is the non-turbo forum I presumed you were talking about the non-turbo Sports Chrono.
Yes, both the 997TT and the new GT3 both have increased HP and TQ when the sports mode is activated. This is not the case for 'other' 997 models with SC...it is just the throttle map that changes (see article I included below in this thread which shows the map).
Personally, I have started leaving Sport mode OFF while driving around town as it is smoother from a start and easier to control in traffic. When I want to be 'sporty', I do prefer the sport throttle map better,...it increases the fun factor for me!
Old 06-11-2006, 12:56 PM
Pugnacious
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
Wrong
Wrong
Wrong

It changes the torque curve, which aids in acceleration.

Learned this, and the fun effects at Porsche's ice driving school
On the Carrera and Carrera S what you refer to as a change in the torque curve is nothing more than a change in the throttle mapping and the torque and hp are only increasing earlier with a lesser articulation of the throttle pedal due only to a front loaded throttle pedal map, there are no changes to the engine to increase power. The power curve doesn’t change one bit over the entire engine rpm range. The torque and hp peaks (and curve) remain the same with or with out SC, rpm to rpm. I have looked at the graph you refer to and all it is demonstrating is the timing of the torque in relationship to throttle input, not an actual change (increase) in the engine output. Show me a graph where the power (not timing of power in relationship to throttle position) increases at any point over the entire power curve, I have never seen one.

My personal opinion of devices on any car that change the throttle mapping (but give no real increase in power) are nothing but poseur gadgets and appear to people that don’t know the difference from being faster and feeling faster.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:14 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

The shift in torque curve allows you to get the back-end out easier, and is therefore not a poseur gadget.

It's a tool, within a tool (Porsche), that requires expertise, abilitity and circumstance to appreciate.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:07 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem I have w Sport is that it can cause you to misjudge the available power you have to work with in a given gear and situation. When driving on the street, for example, I have enjoyed the rapid tip-in which Sport provides. On those occasions where I have needed more acceleration ie pulling out into traffic, I have then used full throttle only to find there was little throttle left. IMO,the standard setting is more linear and gives you better feedback as to where you are in your engines power curve. Whereas I loved it in my M3 (which is peakier and has 1000rpm more to play with), I do not use Sport throttle in my 2CS.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:21 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The shift in torque curve allows you to get the back-end out easier, and is therefore not a poseur gadget.

It's a tool, within a tool (Porsche), that requires expertise, abilitity and circumstance to appreciate.

Colm, not being funny but how many different people do you need to tell you that there is absolutely no change in the torque curve, all it is is less throttle pedal required to achieve the same.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:38 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the problem is with the definition.

Read Pugnacious's comments carefully where he talks about torque shift, and what happens in lower gears. He has pretty much nailed it.

You might be talking about total power output, which is different from power delivery; and delivery is what my point was about and addressing, pretty clear from the context and examples.

So the power is different in lower gears if the torque curve is shifted through the s/c button, and it is not a useless gadget.

If you superimpose the torque curve with S/C on and off, it is my understanding (and memory) that the curve shifts to the right over some range....in my book that's a change.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:27 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

I think the problem is with the definition.

Read Pugnacious's comments carefully where he talks about torque shift, and what happens in lower gears. He has pretty much nailed it.

You might be talking about total power output, which is different from power delivery; and delivery is what my point was about and addressing, pretty clear from the context and examples.

So the power is different in lower gears if the torque curve is shifted through the s/c button, and it is not a useless gadget.

If you superimpose the torque curve with S/C on and off, it is my understanding (and memory) that the curve shifts to the right over some range....in my book that's a change.
Sport throttle as used in the 2/4CS changes only the rate of throttle "tip-in" You step harder on the gas in standard setting, you get the same effect. More power for less foot movement in Sport with the trade off of less fine control. Full throttle is the same for both
Old 06-11-2006, 03:39 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 472 Likes on 239 Posts

Again, from the article above, this is how the throttle response changes:
Old 06-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Persuader
Instructor

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Sport throttle as used in the 2/4CS changes only the rate of throttle "tip-in" You step harder on the gas in standard setting, you get the same effect. More power for less foot movement in Sport with the trade off of less fine control. Full throttle is the same for both
Exactly - wish I had explained it that simply & clearly myself. Now I'm off for a
Old 06-11-2006, 04:28 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Coochas
Again, from the article above, this is how the throttle response changes:
Yes Thank you One picture.....
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I think that suggests you are essentially "floored" when the throttle is 50% down. The rest of the travel does very little. Since dyno runs which measure hp and torque are done at fixed engine speeds, throttle position is meaningless. I think GM used to do this in the early smog days, giving the cars about 80% throttle in the first inch of movement to make them feel more responsive.
It probably won't be long before Porsche includes meaningful power enhancement with the package, since it seems discriminatory to the non- tt and GT3 buyers.AS
Old 06-11-2006, 06:56 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

It's amazing how one individual can have the wool pulled so far over their eyes! It's a shame you have to believe in factually untrue information. If you check with Porsche you will discover that at any rev level in any gear the power and torque delivery are identical regardless of the SC setting. How hard is that to follow?

The only thing that does differ is the rev level in relation to throttle pedal travel. Not the same thing at all as a power or toque shift.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:51 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Can I see some torque curves please, s/c on and off?

If they are the same under both scenarios, then I'm incorrect! The curves shouldn't lie.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:27 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

From the 997 Prod Info Book

The driver can select a sportier setup by pressing the Sport button in the center console. A certain amount of comfort is sacrificed in this mode for the sake of sportiness.
The word “Sport” appears in the instrument cluster display as soon
as the Sport button is activated.
A modified program is utilized for the following systems in the “Sport”setting:
• Accelerator pedal characteristics
• High-speed cut-off
• Dash pot (load change damping)
• PSM (Porsche Stability Management)
• PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)
• Tiptronic S (optional)
A number of adjustments are made in Motronic when the Sport function is
activated. The electronic throttle characteristicis switched to a steeper setting
(only in manual mode with Tiptronic S).
This produces a faster throttle response to accelerator pedal movements to subjectively increase the spontaneity of the engine.

Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
Pugnacious
Racer

Can I see some torque curves please, s/c on and off?

If they are the same under both scenarios, then I'm incorrect! The curves shouldn't lie.
They would be the same with or without Sport Chrono. Assuming we are talking about equal throttle body opening (not throttle pedal position) power curves for torque and hp over the entire rpm range of the engine would be identical regardless if SC was on or off.

As for power curve charts which are taken at full power (throttle) being as Sport Chrono does not change a thing at full throttle (only getting there) the power curve for a given engine would be identical regardless if Sport Chrono was on or off over the entire rpm range.

Quick Reply: Sport Chrono.....