Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FABSPEED BYPASS: Would it be safe/ prudent to...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 05:55 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FABSPEED BYPASS: Would it be safe/ prudent to...

I've just received and installed the Fabspeed muffler bypass on my 997S. Ans though I love the deeper sound, the droning and excessive interior vibration at highway speeds is making e rgret my decision.

After speaking to Fabspeed, it seems that my only option (besides return to stock) is to upgrade to their Maxflow Mufflers.

I also notice that one side of the exhaust is burning much richer in terms of soot being expelled around the tips.

My question is (finally): Would it be practical, safe, &/or advisable to install an OEM muffler back on one side and leave the bypass on the other as a way of muffling a portion(half) of the sound and subsequent vibration?

I have done numerous searches and have not found anyone that has done this.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you have their red intake tube on as well? If so, put the stock hose back on and the interior resonance will basically go away. Their intake tube and red hemholz (sp?) cap just increase interior intake resonance so it sounds like a performance gain.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:58 AM
CleanSlate
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveby
Do you have their red intake tube on as well? If so, put the stock hose back on and the interior resonance will basically go away. Their intake tube and red hemholz (sp?) cap just increase interior intake resonance so it sounds like a performance gain.

Thanks for the input, but I do not have their cold air intake (red hose). Only the bypass pipes on a stock 997S.

Also, just spoke to Alex at Fabspeed and said that I could place one OEM muffler back on the car while leaving the other side with the bypass without any worries of engine faults/ problems. Does this sound correct to you all?
Old 06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Driveby
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose it would work -- basically cut sound in half. Try it and you don't like it put in a matched set of sport mufflers.

Track purists might say something about having an unbalanced load (Left-to-Right) since only one side has a big muffler.

Quick Reply: FABSPEED BYPASS: Would it be safe/ prudent to...