Sponsored by:

Tire Problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Problem

Ugh. I think I'm going to need a new rear tire. I don't have the TPMS (I think that's the right acronym), so I have started checking the pressure myself (I know I should do this, but I didn't at first and never did with my BMW). So, I checked it about 2 months ago and the rear right tire was quite low. Filled it up, checked it a few weeks later and it seemed to be holding steady. Well, tonight I leave work and the car just doesn't feel right. I wanted to stop and get gas, so I pull into the gas station and check the pressure. It was at 20! Yikes! I filled it up, but obviously there must be something wrong, maybe a slow leak?? Planning to go to a local tire place (have bought tires there before) as opposed to the dealer. I hope they can figure it out. If there is a slow leak, is it better just to replace the tire? This is my daily driver. Things always seem to break at the wrong time. Yesterday I knocked the diamond in my engagement ring loose!
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

There was a long thread on the repair vs. replace debate in the last week. Scroll down a page or two.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:22 AM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
There was a long thread on the repair vs. replace debate in the last week. Scroll down a page or two.
Cool, thanks. I'll check it out. If there's any doubt as to safety though, I think I will just replace. I hope they can figure out what the problem is.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:44 AM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is very easy for the tire shop to find out where the leak at. All they have to do is to remove the wheel and tire from the car and put it under water to find out where the leak(s) is (are). Any good tire shop should be able to pin point where the problem is. Good luck
Old 06-09-2006, 02:59 AM
micgreeny
Instructor

if it has a slow leak like from a nail, scew, ect. I'd just have it pluged. have been doing this for years in my work trucks, dump trailor. had 7 nail in one tire, had them all pluged also up to 4 on my work truck. my truck and trailor don't go 180 mph but, the porsche does not hold 3 to 6 tons of weight. never had a problem. do all the repairs myself now.--------------mike
Old 06-09-2006, 06:26 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The approved method of repair is a plug patch. Don't do a patch or plug only. You can only have 1 plug patch in the tire to maintain speed rating.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:01 AM
PistolPete
Drifting

Received 124 Likes on 53 Posts

Don't forget to check the valve stem too, I had a slow leak that drove me nuts until I got a valve stem tool from PepBoys and discovered how loose it was.

-Pete
Old 06-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by peter_moy13
Don't forget to check the valve stem too, I had a slow leak that drove me nuts until I got a valve stem tool from PepBoys and discovered how loose it was.

-Pete
I never even considered this. Thanks. Going to take it in this morning.
Old 06-09-2006, 12:27 PM
MMD
Banned

Definitel PITA. But fix it and get it over with. I'd take it to a serious experienced well-equipped tire place, not a local garage where they will f up your wheel.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:49 PM
Snoopy
Racer

It was a rusty nail and they patched it. I had it done at a place I've been to before -- local tire place, not a huge chain.
Old 06-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Don't leave us hanging now....is the engagement ring OK?
Old 06-10-2006, 02:02 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by Holli82
Don't leave us hanging now....is the engagement ring OK?
Yes, it is fine too! Friend at work has a jeweler her family uses, so took it to him. The guy fixed it and polished it free of charge while my husband waited!

Quick Reply: Tire Problem