Sponsored by:

How Not to Die on German Roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 09:32 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 262 Likes on 142 Posts

BrendanC,

I'm going to back to Salzburg in September and stayed at the hotel across the street from Mozart's old house. Where is the pastry shop? I don't recall seeing any nearby pastry shops. And by the way that's about all I could eat. The old bread and funky meats make my stomach turn. No wonder they lost the war.
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2006, 09:47 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
BrendanC,

I'm going to back to Salzburg in September and stayed at the hotel across the street from Mozart's old house. Where is the pastry shop? I don't recall seeing any nearby pastry shops. And by the way that's about all I could eat. The old bread and funky meats make my stomach turn. No wonder they lost the war.
If you were to start in the square, (the main square, not the "Krompos" square, where the devil-beats with big ********* come around and whip females) you would walk towards the river(salzach) (OUT of the center), but (what direction is that?) also a bit more towards...

What the hell am I talking about... I wonder if you can find...

Maybe this is it:
Almost every item sold at the old-time Austrian confectionery Schatz-Konditorei, Getreidegasse 3 (tel. 0662/842792; bus: 2 or 5), is made from traditional recipes. Our favorite treat is the well-known Mozart-Kugeln, a cookie of pistachio, marzipan, and hazelnut nougat, all dipped in chocolate. You can enjoy the pastries and coffees at a table inside the cafe or take them away. Some varieties of pastry, including the Mozart-Kugeln, can be shipped around the world. It's open Monday to Friday 8:30am to 6:30pm and Saturday 8am to 5pm, with extended hours during the summer Salzburg Festival."

But I am not sure. I actually was there for college in 1998, so things have obviously changed. I am waiting for my 4 year old to be a BIT older, so we can go back.
I recieved an official diploma of "taste testing" acedemia from this cafe, and am quite proud!

I spent much more then a vacation there, and LIVED there, so I would like to return, just as anyone would go back to thier college town to "sit and look"
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

There's been a lot of building, or I guess I should say rebuilding as the city is tightly regulated in terms of how the building look and how they are renovated. Here's the bridge across the river. I found a great Italian restaurant we ate at every night since the German food was so hard. The owner was from Florence where he owns another restuarant. Great people and great food.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:10 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

We'll be flying into Munich and driving down to Salzburg. You can be darn sure I won't be getting another friggin' Peugeot. I hate the darn signs, they're all in German,..can you imagine. Who can read that stuff. Ya!
Old 06-07-2006, 10:24 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Learn German then...
Old 06-07-2006, 10:28 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Good luck with that. I speak four other languages and that's enough for me. English is well spoken there as it's the international language of developed countries. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:30 PM
Beamer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bitte
Old 06-08-2006, 01:46 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Someone should have told this guy HOW NOT TO DRIVE IN ON GERMAN ROADS!!!!!!
This happend a little ways in front of me on the Nurburgring back in 1998. I was there for the BMW International Driving School on the Ring. It's probably one of the largest single driving schools in the world and it happens only once a year. I received the first place trophy for the graded lap( knowledge of the line and track) out of the American group. I have done this school 3 times.

The BMW 5er you see in these photos was brand new with less than 3,000k's on the clock and it was driven by 2 AMERICAN BMW INSTRUCTORS from the school. This accident did NOT happen during the school, but the night after the school when the track opened up to the public.

This nasty accident happend at the Kesselchen section of the Nurburgring. The 2 so called driving instructors where going too fast ran out of road on the sharp left hand kink and lost it. Hit the guard rail and rolled 2 times. I came up on it right after it happend and was the first one on the scene. I told my passenger to run down track and flag down the other cars approaching at speed. The passenger of the wrecked car was able to get out through the rear passenger side door. It was the only door that was able to open. I helped him pull the driver out the rear door. The driver was bleeding bad so I pulled the first aid kit out of my car and began to apply pressure to the bleeding areas as best I could.Most of the blood was coming from his head which worried me. I told a German motorcyclist to go get an ambulence. He took off like a bat out of hell !!! It was a miracle that these guys were not seriously injured or even killed. That car was going well over 100MPH at impact. Look how much guard rail he took out. The driver ended up with some bad cuts and bruises. The passenger was ok as well.

When there is a bad accident on the Nurburgring during the open public days the track is closed. The Police , Fire, and Ambulence all rushed to the scene quickly. The Police where there since the Nurburgring is considered a public road and they must report all accidents that take place on it.

Sorry for some of the poor scans. I didn't own a digital camera back in 1998.
Attached Images       

Last edited by MHC2S; 06-08-2006 at 02:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 01:50 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Here's the car finally on the sunny side up. It was a total.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MHC2S; 06-08-2006 at 02:06 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:17 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

BrendanC,

While in Austria try to visit Vienna. Goto Hotel Sacher and order the world famous Sacher torte from the Sacher Cafe. I had about 3 of them(slices) in one shot. I bet my friend and I won the bet . Both cities, Salzburg and Vienna are increadible. Vienna is where my grandparents are from as well as the Sacher torte
I could eat the whole thing
Attached Images  

Last edited by MHC2S; 06-08-2006 at 02:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:49 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MHC2S
Here's the car finally on the sunny side up. It was a total.
What? A little paint and polish can't fix that?
I did the 95 BMW Ring school. 2 instructors per group wasn't enough and usually the instructors aren't all that good either. Probably why these 2 guys found out how good (not) they really were. Then again I've seen Sabine Schmitz go off the track and she told me she has been off the track more than a few times.
The roads on and around the ring are probably the best roads in Germany to feel out 100% of any car.
I 2nd the Hotel Satcher recommendation. Great hotel and the torte is an institution. Bring the torte to the opera house and eat it there.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:44 AM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

MHC2S,

Thanks for the advice. There is a Sacher Hotel in Salzberg just down the block from Mozart's childhood home. We stayed there two nights and ate three of the darn things and brought back two. You are absolutely right, they're unbelievably good. We may make our way up to Vienna this time. I wasn't aware there was a Sacher there. We'll stay there if we make it. Thanks again for the tip.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Austria is phenomenal . . . I used to live in Konstanz am Bodensee, so I got to visit frequently. I really miss living there.

My proudest negotiating moment came when i lived there. Half of Konstanz is in Germany, and the other half is in Switzerland. I borrowed a car from a French woman and took it to the Swiss part of town, where it got towed. I was horrified. I had to find out where the car was, and then talk them into giving a French plated car that was registered to the ex-boyfriend of my French woman friend to an American, and then to get back into Germany when I discovered that my special visa (I was in Germany on fellowship) had expired!!!!! YIIIIKKKKEEESSS. After about 4 hours of my best diplomatic skills, I got the car back and got back into the country.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:18 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
What? A little paint and polish can't fix that?
I did the 95 BMW Ring school. 2 instructors per group wasn't enough and usually the instructors aren't all that good either. Probably why these 2 guys found out how good (not) they really were. Then again I've seen Sabine Schmitz go off the track and she told me she has been off the track more than a few times.
The roads on and around the ring are probably the best roads in Germany to feel out 100% of any car.
I 2nd the Hotel Satcher recommendation. Great hotel and the torte is an institution. Bring the torte to the opera house and eat it there.
LOL a little paint and polish Trust me that car was done. I have done the Ring school 3 times and yes I agree with you not enough instructors for the amount of students that show up. Those guys were BMW instructors from the USA and they really should have known better.
I've been in the Ring taxi M5 with Sabine when her cell phone went off just about in the same section as that crash. She picked it up and just continued driving fast with one hand on the wheel. She is the best
LOL I would bring it to the Opera and eat it, but the Opera house in Vienna would throw me and the torte out
Old 06-08-2006, 05:24 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

MHC2S,

Thanks for the advice. There is a Sacher Hotel in Salzberg just down the block from Mozart's childhood home. We stayed there two nights and ate three of the darn things and brought back two. You are absolutely right, they're unbelievably good. We may make our way up to Vienna this time. I wasn't aware there was a Sacher there. We'll stay there if we make it. Thanks again for the tip.
You are correct. It's a while since my last visit to Salzberg. Those Tortes are so good. I gonna be dreaming about one tonight. A side note Vienna is the city where the first Sacher Torte was made back in 1832. You have a wounderful time, I wish I was going and I can't wait to return to the country where my family is from.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MHC2S; 06-08-2006 at 06:24 PM.

Quick Reply: How Not to Die on German Roads