Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

to revo chip or not to revo chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 11:13 PM
carmos
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default to revo chip or not to revo chip?

hi all, i have an my06 997 c2 cab. i am thinking about getting the revo ecu mod.i had an 04 box s that i modded ..i put dansk hearders and evo cold air, and revo chip,,,and the revo chip kind of put the the other parts together and i got betwween 22 and 30 hp depending of how you do the math..but i just wonder if just the revo software would make a noticeble difference say atleast 10 hp..please any opinions or thoughts would be great..thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 12:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 204 Posts

Revo does not yet offer a flash for the 997. GIAC is probably the most popular flash in the US for the 997. Check out giacusa.com or AWE.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 AM
edwardschmedward
Advanced

Default Revo Chip...

[COLOR=Indigo]Revo is working on their first 997 next week, and will have the software done soon.... my car's #2.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:24 AM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really think a 10hp gain will be noticeable?

Last edited by ohsixx; 06-07-2006 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:29 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Dave, what do you think of the PowerChip?

Jay
Old 06-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23

Jay
I don't know much about their performance.
Most of my chip 'experience' stems from my Audi TT 225 days. I had a Revo flash done and it was really amazing. Keep in mind that the Audi TT 225 is a turbo and that the power gains from manipulating the ECU (i.e. more boost please) are significantly greater than a naturally aspirated motor. Nonetheless, Revo mad my Audi nnight and day.
I was an Audiworld guy before I got my Carrera, so I know most of the thinking from the 'Audi TT POV' about chips. Most of the peeps there used GIAC and Revo and APR (? I think that was it) - there were of course endless debates about which was better, but most Audi TT peeps would agree that chipping their cars was a good thing.
For the record, the only 'problems' I had with the chip involved replacing my DV twice (diverter valve) which is basically recommended when you chip most turbo cars. These are reasonably cheap and definitely DIY things.
Sorry for the rant,...I'm procrastinating.

I'm not sure what I will personally do with my car. I am guessing that around the two year mark I will be wanting more power. I may leave it stock and wait until I can justify a TT (the Porsche kind). Maybe I'll do the intake and exhaust just to make me feel better!
Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DJ23

Jay
I would say the PowerChip got a pretty resolute two thumbs down from Boxster owners. I don' recall seeing any nice words on 996 boards either. Their marketing data is good, but looks completely fabricated in Excel. They were hot all over me after my initial inquiry but completely blew me off/did not respond to emails/etc. once I started asking technical questions. I would not seriously consider them.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
MCoupe
Instructor

And the fact that Powerchip cost = $150 per 1 HP (if you even get that!)

Steep...very steep!
Old 06-10-2006, 11:44 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

I was told today that revo has a five hour temporary flash. This is a try it and see if you like it kind of thing at no charge. ECU reverts back to "baseline " after five hours of driving. A friend had this in place at Sebring today on his 996 TURBO and was very pleased. I'm not sure if he intends to write the $3000 check to make it permanent though
Jack
Old 06-10-2006, 11:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pedsurg
I was told today that revo has a five hour temporary flash. This is a try it and see if you like it kind of thing at no charge. ECU reverts back to "baseline " after five hours of driving. A friend had this in place at Sebring today on his 996 TURBO and was very pleased. I'm not sure if he intends to write the $3000 check to make it permanent though
Jack
Yes, Revo offers these test drives. Basically to flash your ECU they usually want the car to cool for about half an hour and then they flash via the OBD-II port. With the test drive the software will revert to stock after several hours - there is no need to go back to the Revo dealer.
Revo (like GIAC) also offers SPS (serial port switch) devices that allow you to change 'fuel' (for different octane 91-104) and boost (for turbos). The SPS devices also allow you to flash "valet" mode (doesn't go more than 10-20 mph) and "theft" mode (can't start car w/o the SPS device).

Quick Reply: to revo chip or not to revo chip?