Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My review of x51

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 03:14 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the X-51. I like the X-51. I drove the base 997, the Carrera S, the C4S (997) and a 996 turbo S prior to buying my car.

Sure, its expensive and outrageously priced like every other Porsche option ($675 for a CD changer, $8k for PCCB's...please!!!!) If you are considering a turbo or GT3, you will feel the X-51 is too expensive. If you want the fastest rear wheel drive that can be driven as daily driver, $16.9k will get you there. Last time I checked, there weren't too many of these languishing on dealer lots so there must be quite a few other folks who feel the same way.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
I have the X-51. I like the X-51. I drove the base 997, the Carrera S, the C4S (997) and a 996 turbo S prior to buying my car.

Sure, its expensive and outrageously priced like every other Porsche option ($675 for a CD changer, $8k for PCCB's...please!!!!) If you are considering a turbo or GT3, you will feel the X-51 is too expensive. If you want the fastest rear wheel drive that can be driven as daily driver, $16.9k will get you there. Last time I checked, there weren't too many of these languishing on dealer lots so there must be quite a few other folks who feel the same way.

Holli82 - You have hit the nail on the head as far as my motivation is concerned. I wanted a top power rear drive 911 that I can commute 500 miles a week in. If the GT3 came with rear seats and a different wing option, that would have been a consideration but I'm concerned about it as a daily driver.

Instead, I ordered an Atlas Grey 997S with X51, PCCB, heated sport seats, full leather, sports chrono plus, and badge delete. Including the dealer discount, the total is $108k.

Some would argue that is in Turbo territory but, really it's not. A Turbo is going to cost at least $14k more without PCCB. It also brings a few things I really DON'T want:

- All wheel drive (no thank you!)
- ~300lbs more weight (that's one fat German in the passenger seat)
- Turbo Sound (like a vacuum cleaner on steroids)

I'm also very much into personalizing my vehicles. The 997S will receive a few items upon arrival including H&R springs, very special wheels, tinted windows, clear bra, and after break-in, an EVO lightweight flywheel. By the time all those mods are complete, I will be nearer the price of a new Turbo. But, I'd much rather have a highly individulalized X51, PCCB, lowered 997S than a stock Turbo.

For me, an X51 997S is the highest performance, purest 911 for daily driving. That's exactly what I'm looking for and I'll have it in a little more than a month which is sooner than I'd ever see a Turbo.

I have not seen a single new X51 for sale on a dealer lot (we searched the entire U.S. inventory) and no used ones either. Seems like the high price has made these cars pretty desirable and exclusive, for now at least.

MC
Old 06-04-2006, 12:00 PM
H20NOO
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by H20NOO
Seems like the high price has made these cars pretty desirable and exclusive, for now at least.

MC
Actually, the high price and the 6-month suspended production has made X51 exclusive. Desirable is a personal decision!

MC
Old 06-08-2006, 12:29 AM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Is the X51 a great value? NO. Does it absolutely kick ***? YES.

I've driven them without the X51 and I've been driving my 2006 X51 rocket since October (5,700 miles now). The responsiveness of the X51 is incredible. Low end torque is substantially greater than in the regular C2S and frankly that makes for an even easier car to drive around town. The sound of the low end exhaust burble is downright V8-like. Yes, I'll say it, the X51 PSE sounds better than the non-X51 PSE. Look, you can talk value all you want but the fact of the matter is if I was buying for value I would have bought a Toyota or a Lexus and the X51 gives me a 100% factory tuned car. I've modded cars in the past, SAABs and AUDIs, and something was always not quite perfect about whatever the mod was. I've been down the rechipping route: NEVER AGAIN. It'll be pure factory performance for me from here on out. Life is too short. Cars should be perfect from the factory.

No the X51 isn't cheap but it rages like no other daily drivable NA car Porsche sells. That's its niche. And I'm its niche buyer.

Precisely!!! I am thankful everyday that I got one of the Club Coupes--that largely mitigated the exessive cost issue. X51 is fantastic--I would not trade mine; well, not for an amount someone would likely pay
Old 06-08-2006, 09:48 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
AWD in Florida? Blech!
Not to hijack this thread, but the AWD is probably more effective in Florida (in the rain) than in a northern state (in the snow). I had a 996 C4 and unless you switched to dedicated winter tires, it's absolutely useless in the snow. My wife drives an Audi TT Quattro and same thing. Bottom line: performance tires, no matter how many driven wheels, equals no go in snow. My winter performance vehicle is a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.

Other than that, I totally support your viewpoint.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 PM
rixtrix
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
Not to hijack this thread, but the AWD is probably more effective in Florida (in the rain) than in a northern state (in the snow). I had a 996 C4 and unless you switched to dedicated winter tires, it's absolutely useless in the snow. My wife drives an Audi TT Quattro and same thing. Bottom line: performance tires, no matter how many driven wheels, equals no go in snow. My winter performance vehicle is a Grand Cherokee with the Hemi.

Other than that, I totally support your viewpoint.

I agree! AWD is very useful down here in the rain.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
JMaples
Advanced

Does anyone know the factory specs on 0-60 time with the X-51 package?
Old 06-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Seal
Advanced

How about a GT3 with retrofitted rear seats and a regular 997s spiler instead of the GT3's wing?

Certainly unique. Anyway, I'm just speculating. Mixing the Turbo and GT-3 into the discussion is rather pointless unless you can drive them back to back with a 997S X-51
Old 06-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pieter Paul
How about a GT3 with retrofitted rear seats and a regular 997s spiler instead of the GT3's wing?

Certainly unique. Anyway, I'm just speculating. Mixing the Turbo and GT-3 into the discussion is rather pointless unless you can drive them back to back with a 997S X-51
Nah... parts and labor on all those items would probably cost a lot plus you'd have to reinstall all the missing stuff from the S.

One is a GT with good track potential. The other is a track car with limited GT potential.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:33 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rixtrix
I agree! AWD is very useful down here in the rain.

What rain?
Old 06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Azurro_California_911
Instructor

Originally Posted by JMaples
Does anyone know the factory specs on 0-60 time with the X-51 package?

0-62 in 4.4 seconds

Quick Reply: My review of x51