Discouraged

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 04:22 AM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
I just bought my wife a new LX470
I've been driving Landcruisers for years and my current one (which is what the LX is based on) is just as tough, exceptionally well built and reliable as all the others I've had. No matter what else I have, I'll always have a Landcruiser.

Never, ever been stranded in one or had any kind of problem with them.

Can't beat 'em
Old 05-29-2006, 08:37 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. I only raised the lemon law out of frustration with 3 problems in under 6 months. Don't get me wrong, I'm no Porsche basher and I DO love my P-car. I really hope to live with it for many years but not if it turns out to be like a beautiful companion you can't trust. I'm just used to living with/dealing with problem free vehicles. Good news, today, the PCM worked fine; guess it had a good night's sleep. I'll call the dealer tomorrow to at least get it documented that it screwed up on Sunday. By the way, lemon laws differ greatly from state to state.
Old 06-05-2006, 12:36 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Have an '05 C2S with a little over 7,100 miles. Zero problems so fare.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:03 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMA93
I have to agree the germans build quality has declined in the past decade. I used to drive a Lexus before my BMW and the difference in build quality and reliabilty is night and day. Also dealer support from Lexus is amazing. The Germans could really learn something from the japanese. Would I buy another Lexus? No probably not, they are too boring.
Me too... Turned in my Lexus SC430 (boring slow car) for the 997 C2S. The SC430 was one nice car build wise and service was the best! Never had one issue with it and when it did go in for general service, Lexus performed any TIB's or upgrades while in service and provided me with all updates etc.

So far, no issues with my 997 as of yet.

Deanski
Old 06-05-2006, 03:44 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Obviously every manufacturer will have lemons. It's just how often it occurs. I'm very impressed with the number of cars Lexus sell that it can maintain such a great reliability figure.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 AM
The B
Racer

My last RMS (out of 3) was repaced in June '05 (6,144 miles) and I had to visit the dealer ship the next month for a minor recall issue. My vehicle spent more than 30 days in the shop within the first 8 mos. Since then no issues and current milage is 14,200+/-.

Hopefully your issues will subside as well. Good luck.
Old 06-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Here was my OT discussion on my Lexus customer service:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...stomer+Service
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by riad
Here was my OT discussion on my Lexus customer service:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...stomer+Service
Hehe the bastard child is coming ... it's called the LFA(they just need Ralf or Jano to make good in F1 and they'll make something special). It'll be a toss up between that or the NSX replacement.
Lexus' customer service is legendary. Just like the performance of Porsche. And that's how they sell cars, funny how the Lexus brand started in the US and is now going to Japan where the cars are made. Porsche obviously doesn't need to worry too much about customer service since they have that racing history and prestige factor to move cars. Porsche cars are reasonably reliable though. They obviously have issues like all other makes. Just that they just fix the problem vs someone like Lexus who fixes it, washes your car and make you feel like it wasn't a problem but more of a mild inconvenience. Like
Old 06-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 217 Likes on 136 Posts

I have always wondered this very question, Germany vs. Japan. I had 2 Audi A4's and they were very troublesome yet there is always a Honda Civic or Accord in the family for a beater and nothing ever goes wrong. Why is that?
Old 06-05-2006, 05:50 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by Cactus
I have always wondered this very question, Germany vs. Japan. I had 2 Audi A4's and they were very troublesome yet there is always a Honda Civic or Accord in the family for a beater and nothing ever goes wrong. Why is that?
Well hope the Japanese beat the germans in Leipzig and we'll have something to talk about for sure.
The unfortunate truth is that european manufacturers still haven't learnt about QC I guess. I mean Hondas are made in the US and apparently the ones made in Maryland have a few more problems than those in Japan. Same for Toyota. Funny thing is that I heard that the Thai toyota factory produces better quality cars per worker than even their Japanese or American counterpart. Could it be that economic hunger and a fresh young workforce that is motivated and educated is better than union workers who know they can't get fired or just the lack of real quality staff? I mean the machines should work the same in every country so the variable is human unfortunately.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:17 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

They are down to so few problems that there may be no statistical significance to the findings.
Zero, one or two defects per hundred may all be the same number.
I haven't seen data, but I don't think you will be seeing zero from one factory, and 15 from another. AS
Old 06-05-2006, 06:26 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dweiser
I hate reading about problems (as we all do) because we want to believe our cars are high quality & well built and negative posts of problems sort of throw that in our faces. Have had car less than 6 months and I love it! 2006 C4 Cab. First problem (all have been minor I guess but still a pain) was faulty sensor that reported "headlights mis-aligned". Fixed at dealer - took 2 trips. Next problem was a faulty oil temp. sensor. Took 8 days (car at dealer) as the replacement sensor was bad so they had to order a 2nd one. Today the CD started playing erratically then the entire central unit went dark. It tried a few times to wake up, displayed the word PORSCHE but then went dark again. Might sound terrible to say but very glad I have a Japanese vehicle as my "spare". Never a problem, never any trouble. Am considering starting lemon law case; seems like they built my car from the salvage pile.
That sucks, and I agree it is worth saving receipts for lemon law purposes. However, you don't have anything (yet) that qualifies you for it. Furthermore, don't do anything verbal from this point forward. Every issue should be documented with the complaint and the resolution, and if it isn't fixed, then create a new service appointment to have it documented again.

With that said, I've been lucky (knock on wood). The only issues I've had thus far have been minor cosmetic issues (2) that have been corrected quickly by the dealer.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Cogito
Racer

This morning the first error message flashed on the screen briefly, "headlights mis-aligned".
I'm keeping track of all the electrical gremlins.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

The only thing I've had go wrong (other than the exhaust tip and hook latch recalls) was my cooling fan control unit failed. The rad fans would not come on and in traffic the temp would climb. All fixed and that was a year ago.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:50 AM
jimster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ohsixx
Seems as if it is all minor stuff. Just work through it!
If you ordered a steak at a restaurant that wasn't cooked right you'd send it back, right?

Why accept problems as the norm on a car that costs six figures? I sure as hell woudn't.

I hear more excuses why a Porsche buyer should be acepting of problems with their cars. IMHO, I think it BS and evidence of trying to make yourself feel better about spending a ****load of money on a ****-poor car that's prone to break down.

I'm a Porsche owner myself, and sorely disappointed at the problems I've had with my cars.

Last edited by jimster; 06-06-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Discouraged