Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Creaking noise from front suspension...help me!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006 | 11:34 AM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Question Creaking noise from front suspension...help me!

Mine is 2006 997C2S and hit 3000km last week. FYI, I am in Korea and there is only one authorized dealer and service center in Seoul.

Every time I drive mine these days, I hear creaking noise from the front of the car. After ten or fifteen minutes from the start, the noise commences and continues until the engine stops. It sounds like the chirp of birds and is very annoying. When I drive fast, I cannot hear the noise but when I cruise in the city, it always makes that noise.

The service center diagnosed mismatched spring color code. They said that they found out the mismatched front spring color code caused such noise and they already changed some five sets of front springs of 997s. They said that after they changed the spring, no noise would occur.

Can somebody explain to me as to what the spring color code is and how come a mismatched spring generates such noise.

I'm wondering whether the change of the spring means replacement of total front suspension or just replacement of spring only. In either case, is there any possibility that the mismatched spring itself or the replacement thereof caused or may cause any structural damage to the car?

I asked my dealer to provide me with more detailed information but they have not responded to my request. I would much appreciate it if somebody could help me with my questions/concerns. Thanks.

From Seoul, JK

Last edited by getoutofmyporsche; 05-26-2006 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-26-2006 | 09:08 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

I am having a very similar problem in Los Angeles, although mine is more intermittent. Either my car makes a creaking noise from the time my car is on until it turns off or it doesn't. Doesn't make a different whether I'm at low or high speed but it certainly is easier to hear at low speed.

Please post any information that the dealer provides, as I am having trouble getting it fixed.

Thanks for your help and good luck!
Jeremy
Old 05-26-2006 | 10:03 PM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Sure I will. If there are many having the same problem, I think Porsche should declare a recall. Given that about 100 Porsche cars are sold a year here and many of them are Cayennes, the fact that they already changed 5 sets of front spring of 997 naturally raises my concern and doubt.
Old 05-27-2006 | 01:49 AM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

I forgot to mention that I have an '05 Carrera S Cabriolet (not sure if it makes a difference). Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2006 | 03:21 AM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Angry

Dear Jeremy and other 997 owners potentially having the same problems,

This is the explanation that I heard from the chief mechanic at Porsche Service Center in Seoul.

- Some of the front suspension springs were not precisely centered.
- Thus the spring sometimes fabricates with the upper part, i.e., the washer of the shock absorber when the car gets big lateral force or drives on uneven road.
- Such fabrication makes the creaking or chirping noise.
- Such fabrication does not affect the life/function of shock absorbers or does no structural damage to the car.
- In response, Porsche developed "improved springs" that is centererd and they will simply replace the springs and the washers, and which will be a 3-4 hours work.
- Spring color code has nothing to do with the problem.

As another member wrote these days, I do not want as well to complain or hear about the defects of my proud P-car. But sadly, I am compelled to change the front springs of my 3 months old P-car, costing my time and energy. And again, I think if the problem lies in the "improperly centered springs", it should be fixed openly and voluntarily i.e., thru a recall or whatever procedures by Porsche so that the owners may not fall into any remorse, unhappy feelings or forced study of car engineering, not knowing what do do but hearing the noise.

Hope this info helps you and other owners who have the same problems.

From Seoul, JK
Old 05-30-2006 | 01:59 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Technical Service Bulletin 4075 covers the spring issues, and TSB 4078 addresses rattling noises from the front suspension. It seems the spring problem is a manufacturing defect with the springs themselves, and the rattling noise TSB covers front and rear swaybar links that have come loose in transit.

I know that this is a hassle for you guys, but it's good to see that Porsche has a warrantee fix for these problems. Good luck!

-don
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:23 PM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

Thanks for the good info, Don. Could you pls let me know where I can get that bulletin?

JK
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:40 PM
jeremyr4
Intermediate

I want to thank everyone for their information and input. I've already brought my car in twice for this intermittent problem so all of this info will help me to put a close to this (finally!).

Thanks again,
Jeremy
Old 05-30-2006 | 08:42 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Hi JK:

Loren has them posted on renntech.org - but you need to be a member to access the TSBs.

Your service manager at the dealer should be able to print them for you for free, though...

Good luck! I hope that your car is repaired to your satisfaction!

-don

Quick Reply: Creaking noise from front suspension...help me!