Sponsored by:

Accident report.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 01:27 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Side air bags....

I didn't have anyone in the passenger seat. Would that make a difference regarding the side airbags being activated or not? Is there a sensor in the seat that can sense if the passenger seat is occupied?
Old 05-25-2006, 01:40 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
I didn't have anyone in the passenger seat. Would that make a difference regarding the side airbags being activated or not? Is there a sensor in the seat that can sense if the passenger seat is occupied?
Maybe that's the reason. I wonder when a kid sits in the front which would deactivate the front airbag would the side still active?
Old 05-25-2006, 02:24 AM
Paul SLC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there is.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:03 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

sorry to hear about that.
Haven't been in that same position myself *knock on wood* but I'd like to think I'd do the same. Or at least try.
I think that you probably helped, after all, if you were still talking with him, then he would've been concious, and if there hadn't beena nyone helping him he would've probably had a horrible experience - dieing alone. One can only imagine what that must feel like.
Interesting that this comes at a time where I'm taking a defensive driving course, on accident avoidance techniques... Puts it into perspective a little because it's made me question what he, and the original driver in the accident, could've done differently.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 129 Posts

We all know that dentists are high on the list of professionals with a tendency toward suicide,--you have a great bounce-back capability despite having the side of that car modified so extensively! Hang in there. That should just buff right out.

Dan
Old 05-25-2006, 02:09 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You did a GREAT thing Doc. The young man in the PU certainly knew someone was there helping, giving comfort and most importantly keeping him from being alone. To some that might not appear to be much but, for me, recognizing what our fate is in the end, not being alone would be the GREATEST gift. I say, "Thanks."

On a lighter note... those pictures of your car are visual reminder of one of the major reasons I choose Porsche over other choices. That being full steel body, hardened boron steel beams in the doors, intigrated passenger safety cage, etc. It matters to me.

As I recall we've both owned another model of sports car with a body made entirely of plastic and with NOTHING in the doors but the windows. I'm personally glad to see that you weren't driving one of those cars on this particular day.

Thanks again for the effort.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:02 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Beams..

Thanks for the kind words... I appreciate them.....

I hadn't noticed the outline of the door beams until I looked at the pictures.
Looks like the sheet metal folded around the beams just like it was designed to do.
If I had been in a Corvette, like you mentioned, I don't want to think about what the door would have looked like.
I love my 911, even dented.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:06 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

I am so glad that you are ok. This was excruciating to read but your response is commendable. Wow.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:36 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

JSMDMD:

Sorry to hear the story and and for the personal trauma.

Hang in there.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:09 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 261 Likes on 142 Posts

I've been in an accident and was pretty messed up and nobody stopped to give witness info or offfer to help. They just drove by lookin like a bunch of f***ing idiots with their nose pressed up against their windows as they passed. I don't know why people don't give a darn anymore.

I've helped many over the years and when I needed help, nobody was there. Well that's not completely true, they were there they just didn't want to stop. I was very disappointed and realized you really have to look after the ones you love because you can't trust our society to do it anymore. Everyone is in a hurry to get to the grocery store, or gymnastics, pick-up their kids, go to work,..whatever. Slow down and help each other.

My wife was recently the witness to a horrific accident in which a man was propeled through his windshield and mutiliated by a barbed wire fence. She watched him die, skin turning grey and all no more than ten feet away. It was traumatic for her. He cut grass for a living and was on his way home to see his daughter and son play soccer. His relatives contacted my wife to see if he had sufferred in his passing (after the police asked her for permission to be contacted of course). I gave my wife the strength she needed to help with closure for a devasted family. She was a trooper as I held her while she spoke with the family on the phone, chocking back tears as she described the accident and the split second it took him to meet his creator. Remeber this next time you see an accident: they too have loved ones waiting for their safe return home.

I applaude you and the strength it took to be with that mortally injured man. I would do it in a second. He probably knew you were there and would thank you if he could. It takes courage to stand where cowards fear to tread. You are an inspiration to us all!!!!!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Gravedgr, Snoopy, and all the rest of you guys... If I am ever in an accident I want you around!

My side airbag didn't deploy. The truck that hit me was doing 360's and I think his rear hit the side of my car during one of the rotations, so the impact wasn't a direct one. Just enough to cave the door in and crease both fenders.

I got the first repair estimate.... 8,000 not including some of the parts... ouch.
And because it is considered a hit and run, despite the fact that I really wasn't at fault in the accident, I am responsible for the 1,000 deductible.
At least I am here to complain about that.
It's sad to be reminded how many people just don't care or are too selfish to be bothered. Did you see the story this week about the guy that died on Everest? As he lay there dying, people went right past him consumed with their own attempts to reach the summit.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:45 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Snoopy
It's sad to be reminded how many people just don't care or are too selfish to be bothered. Did you see the story this week about the guy that died on Everest? As he lay there dying, people went right past him consumed with their own attempts to reach the summit.

Just as a counter point, having studied Everest climbing, that story was purely misleading. What is shocking is that climbing of Everest is allowed at all... and the reason is the guarantee of death if you lose it going for summit. Every Everest climber KNOWS that they are DEAD if they lose it going for the summit and that guy knew it, too. Literally, there is NOTHING that other climbers can do without dying themselves.

What that story failed to tell its readers is that climbers are each and every one just BARELY alive themselves. They are on the edge of death and the edge of a mountain. They have nothing to spare. They can barely lift their feet to step forward. They can go up, or they can do down, but they couldn't carry a bowling ball ten feet.

You can't be carried down, you can't be lowered down, you can't be given first aid, you can't wait for help... there isn't any. Period. No helicopter. No medics. You are DEAD if you lose it going for the summit of Everest. Fact. And it is shame that story didn't relay that point.

As a point of reference for how impossible it is to move people up there, every climber that has ever died on Everest going for the summit IS STILL THERE where they died. It is too high to even remove the bodies of the dead. All the famous climbers? Still there. All the extremely rich climbers? Still there. And the trail to the summit has frozen bodies all along the way.

If society finds that cold hard facts of climbing Everest unacceptable, then society should make it illegal ( I think society should just stop crying about high risk lifestyles dying)... but, whatever needs to be done - if anything, don't place ANY blame on the other climbers on that day. That guy knew the risks... that's why he was there.

Last edited by JohnnyNarcosis; 05-26-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Just as a counter point, having studied Everest climbing, that story was purely misleading. What is shocking is that climbing of Everest is allowed at all... and the reason is the guarantee of death if you lose it going for summit. Every Everest climber KNOWS that they are DEAD if they lose it going for the summit and that guy knew it, too. Literally, there is NOTHING that other climbers can do without dying themselves in the attempt.

What that story failed to tell its readers is that there is nothing other humans can do... they are each and every one just BARELY alive themselves. They have nothing to spare. They can barely lift their feet to step forward.

You can't be carried, you can't be lowered, you can't be given first aid, you can't wait for help... there isn't any. Period. You're dead if you lose it going for the summit of Everest.

As a point of reference, every climber that has ever died on Everest going for the summit IS STILL THERE on the summit. It is too high to even remove the bodies of the dead. All the famous climbers? Still there. All the extremely rich climbers? Still there. And the trail to the summit has frozen bodies all along the way.

If society finds that cold hard facts of climbing Everest unacceptable, then society should make it illegal... but don't place any blame on the other climbers on that day.
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about.

There is however one climber who made it off the mountain, when the others in his group died
I think he lost both legs and a hand, or something?
I forget his name....
Old 05-26-2006, 07:03 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Originally Posted by Vancouver83LTD
Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about.

There is however one climber who made it off the mountain, when the others in his group died
I think he lost both legs and a hand, or something?
I forget his name....
Beck Weathers. April, 1996. He climbed down on his own in a killer blizzard while blind. And the leaders of that same expedition? Still there... frozen, dead, where they fell.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:13 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Beck Weathers. April, 1996. He climbed down on his own in a killer blizzard while blind. And the leaders of that same expedition? Still there... frozen, dead, where they fell.
that's right
I read his book a few years back. He's a christian as well. Only by the hand of God did he survive.

Quick Reply: Accident report.....