Sponsored by:

Accident report.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Thanks for sharing the amazing story and glad you are OK; kudos for trying to help. I used to live out there and know the area well - must have been coming down the 5 towards Lyons? Good reminder that no matter how safely we drive, sometimes stuff just happens, and life is fragile.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:00 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wow...

Gravedgr, Snoopy, and all the rest of you guys... If I am ever in an accident I want you around!

My side airbag didn't deploy. The truck that hit me was doing 360's and I think his rear hit the side of my car during one of the rotations, so the impact wasn't a direct one. Just enough to cave the door in and crease both fenders.

I got the first repair estimate.... 8,000 not including some of the parts... ouch.
And because it is considered a hit and run, despite the fact that I really wasn't at fault in the accident, I am responsible for the 1,000 deductible.
At least I am here to complain about that.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:19 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

You've definitely earned the title,,,, "good man."
Glad to hear you're OK.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:58 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

I sure hope you are in a car behind me in DFW traffic.

I watched a Silverado get clipped, cross 2 lanes, hit a guard rail and the over head sign pole at a rather busy intersection. This guy was 10 cars in front of me and NOONE stopped. I did, he was fine and I used my work truck to move him out of the 2 right lanes out of traffic.

This truck was 10 feet in the air before it came to a stop and not one person bothered to check on the accident. Sure it cost me an hour out of my day, it was worth it to make sure the guy was ok and traffic was able to flow after the fact.

Some days I really hate Dallas drivers.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
While this was going on, not one other person came over to help. Not the tow truck drivers, not the other people in the accident, not another passerby. Not one.
I am so sorry you had to go through this terrifying experience, and you had the presence of mind after being in an accident yourself to do all you could do to help a dying man stay alive while no one else came to your help. Those passing minutes must have surely seemed like eternity, and you probably felt all alone there in the rain, in the confusion, but you were not alone spiritually. This young man's passing moments were spent in your comforting arms, and like a good Samaritan, you were there for him when no one else was, you gave him comfort in his final moments here on earth.

You, my friend, are a hero to us.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:13 PM
drbf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I, both docs, always say health is the big equalizer. It doesn't matter how wealthy one is if you don't have your health. Sorry for your
accident and subsequent trauma but thank God you were not injured.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:24 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Ben, If the MD at the end of his sig means what it ususally means, this is about the 100th time he has been with a dying person. It can happen twice in one call night. I think you are more traumatized than he. I'm glad there weren't two deaths out there, otherwise we wouldn't be reading this thread.

Anybody here not have a close call in their lives?
The good part of this story is that we have a good samaritan who knows first aid. Bad part is that the story doesn't have a happy ending, but doesn't that happen about 50,000 times a year in this country?

Last thing. When you are dealing with a person who is dying, the last thing on your mind is how you feel. All alone in the rain is irrelevant. Generally, you aren't confused, only a little pissed that things don't move faster. I would estimate that I have been in that position at least 25 times before I was 25. It's not that bad, if it's what you are trained to do. AS
Old 05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
uzj100
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts

[QUOTE. I would estimate that I have been in that position at least 25 times before I was 25. It's not that bad, if it's what you are trained to do. AS[/QUOTE]

Nice bed side manner you got there doc
Old 05-24-2006, 11:59 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
I got the first repair estimate.... 8,000 not including some of the parts... ouch.
And because it is considered a hit and run, despite the fact that I really wasn't at fault in the accident, I am responsible for the 1,000 deductible.
At least I am here to complain about that.
Amen. Cars are much easier to repair to "like new" condition than people are.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:25 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default Not an MD...

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Ben, If the MD at the end of his sig means what it ususally means, this is about the 100th time he has been with a dying person. It can happen twice in one call night. I think you are more traumatized than he. I'm glad there weren't two deaths out there, otherwise we wouldn't be reading this thread.

Anybody here not have a close call in their lives?
The good part of this story is that we have a good samaritan who knows first aid. Bad part is that the story doesn't have a happy ending, but doesn't that happen about 50,000 times a year in this country?

Last thing. When you are dealing with a person who is dying, the last thing on your mind is how you feel. All alone in the rain is irrelevant. Generally, you aren't confused, only a little pissed that things don't move faster. I would estimate that I have been in that position at least 25 times before I was 25. It's not that bad, if it's what you are trained to do. AS
Hi Alexander.
I am a DMD, so while we did emergency room rotations during dental school, I really haven't seen death up close like that before.
I am used to seeing blood, etc when I work, but obviously nothing like what I saw after this poor man was injured.
I do appreciate Bens comments.
And I do give Docs like you and the EMTs, Law enforcement officers, Fire Dept personnel, etc a lot of credit for seeing this stuff every day and managing to keep their sanity.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:29 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default A few pics...

I shoulda stayed home.....

Old 05-25-2006, 12:32 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

God Bless you my friend. My question is why was that road so treacherous? All in all, you put things in perspective. Your life is priceless. The same goes for your wife and kids.

Take Care. Jay
Old 05-25-2006, 12:35 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

By the way. I'm a fellow dentist myself, and my worst weekend on call during my residency was a DWI accident where a young man lost his life as well.
You did all of us proud.

Jay
Old 05-25-2006, 12:47 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default Thanks....

Originally Posted by DJ23
God Bless you my friend. My question is why was that road so treacherous? All in all, you put things in perspective. Your life is priceless. The same goes for your wife and kids.

Take Care. Jay
Thanks Jay.
It was really pouring when the initial accident occurred, and the first car to spin hit a depression in the road that had filled with water. When he and everyone else hit it, it put so much water up on the windshield that it essentially blinded the drivers for 2 or 3 seconds until the wipers cleared away the water.
I think that the driver who spun out initially, a young man about 18, probably slammed on his brakes when that happened to him, causing him to spin.

I will tell you that when I had to brake hard, I felt the antilocks come on and the car tracked straight as an arrow. Porsche did a great job with our cars, and I feel better about driving one now that I have seen how they handle in an emergency.
Now all I have to do is get it fixed up!
Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

looking at those pics, I am really surprise the side airbag didn't deploy

Quick Reply: Accident report.....