Sponsored by:

Tiptronic S Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 02:04 AM
alexisthemovie
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Geez, not another thread knocking the mighty tip.

I have a C2S Tip and I love it. Yes, it's slower and less engaging than a manual but after a long day at the office and heavy traffic, I am grateful that its an automatic and I can blast the cold A/C and turn on some jazz music on the Bose High End Sound System. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter which transmission you opted for. Everyone uses these cars for different reasons and applications. Automatic or not, these cars haul *** down the freeway and can take corners like no other car can.

Ideally yes, you should get a manual when buying these cars. I would have considered getting a manual myself but I already have a 2011 Mini Cooper S manual and it scratches the itch for me already.

The Tiptronic transmission is highly reliable and if maintained properly will perform for years to come.
Looks like this thread is older than most of our cars.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by riggzee2
I own an 05 997S Tip S...
I have owned Posche all my adult life '54 356 to 930 Turbo , cpl Boxster S as well. Built and managed Indycars for 30 years, Participated in NASA, PCA, SCCA PRO.
I drive my Tip S in Sport mode (chrono) Always.
Manually 75% of the time, Highway Auto,
I find the shifting in manual brilliant (have absolutely smoked some friends with Carrera S
6 speeds (including a 996tt) In auto (sport mode) one needs to drive a bit agressive initially to set the tone for the mapping. (There are 43 configurations in the TCU fir it to choose from) When I romp on it in auto sport mode I feel it responds nicely.
The Tip S for the 3.8ltr 997S IS a totally different trans than the standard Tip.
Where as it is not as positive as a PDK, I thoroughly enjoy it! I could never shift a manual as fast as this!
Shift kit, Power shifting, no way!
I have timed mine @ 4.2 0-60, 12.38 1/4 mile
PS EVOMS (Evolutipn motorsports) makes a,TCU if you want to ramp up the shifts!
Agree

TIPTRONIC S This is an excellent, reliable, fast and powerful transmission system.

TIP S was not designed for traffic jams. Although it is also very convenient on a daily basis for those who use the car as a Daily Car Driver. Like PDK / F1 and automatic regular ...

TIP S This is a different transmission system. Which offers control from the steering wheel and later, has been upgraded to PDK which also includes automatic mode D and manual mode M ... (without a third pedal = when the hands on the steering wheel)

TIP S operates using different technology from PDK (different times ..) but at the end of the day, the goal is the same. More control and hands on wheel steering.

TIP S works great (997.1) and very fast (manual mode + sport). Need to know to drive in TIP S ..!
Many people do not know how to drive TIP S and have never read PORSCHE professional manuals.

In summary :-)
Reverse gear (when pressing the brakes, especially before Corner)
Forward gear (with gas only)
You can use the left foot with the brake and balance the body. This significantly improves driving (sports)

I personally drive with TIP S in aggressive driving sports "Track" (in M + SPORT mode only). The transmission system makes the work very excellent and fast.

Conclusions:
TIP S is faster than manual gears
PDK is faster than TIP

What's more fun?

It's already a matter of attitude and preference. There is no room for slander. Both gear systems are excellent and in the end the two gear systems are equipped with PORSCHE!

Personally, I'd rather have my eyes on the road and my hands on the steering wheel and deal more with fast, precise lines of driving. All my life I used manual gears and I find the TIP S excellent. However, there is always nowhere to move forward. Also PDK GEN 1 is different from PDK GEN 2 and it is also different from PDK in GT3 ..

Next vehicle: GT3 991 PDK
By the way. Today, all races including carrera gt3 cup - no more "Stick". Control only from the steering wheel. Like F1.

Best friends,

Enjoy the 911 997 in any situation.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:26 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here in Germany there is at least one indy that is able to reprogramm the Tiptronic TCU so that it shifts quicker. Some owners that had this done report that it is almost as fast as PDK.

Regards

CF
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 AM
f911
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cool flash
Here in Germany there is at least one indy that is able to reprogramm the Tiptronic TCU so that it shifts quicker. Some owners that had this done report that it is almost as fast as PDK.

Regards

CF

just love 911 .. (:

Quick Reply: Tiptronic S Review