Sponsored by:

Porsche Vehicle Tracking System

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Vehicle Tracking System

I noticed on the Porsche Car Configurator, that 997 Turbo offers a Porsche Vehicle Tracking System.

Anyone know the details?? Is this like OnStar, BMW Assist or LoJack? Will it be offered in the 2007 997 and S models??
Old 05-21-2006, 08:44 PM
aaoun
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.porsche.com/uk/accessorie...hideintro=true
Old 05-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

about bloody time.
You can get it on a cavalier, but only now on a porsche?
Old 05-21-2006, 10:05 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 217 Posts

That link was for Porsche UK, and indicated it was good in Europe. We may or may not get it here in the states.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

That was my thought.

It would be a nice option depending on what exactly the Tracking System does. On the Porsche Car Configurator, it doesn't give a detailed description of the system.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:24 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Not a USA system. Personally, I prefer a variety of different systems like Lojack, etc. as any factory system will be better known and studied by the villians! If it could be one of several other brands it makes it a lot harder to figure out and disable.

Dan
Old 05-27-2006, 01:37 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

I found the answer to my own question.... Here it is. Looks like this is for Europe only but I can see this in future US models.

The Porsche Vehicle Tracking System (VTS) is now available for your Porsche as part of the Porsche Tequipment range.

The system features automatic driver recognition and theft detection throughout Europe 24 hours a day and 365 days a year. It achieves this through use of an Automatic Driver Recognition (ADR) card, which you hold separately to your car keys. So if your car moves without your ADR being present you will know about it whether you are at home or abroad in Europe.

Specifically developed for Porsche, it is the only system tested and approved by Porsche following achievement of the Thatcham Category 5 standard.

Many insurance companies are now insisting that Porsche vehicles are fitted with a Thatcham approved tracking system. Porsche is the first vehicle manufacturer to offer vehicle tracking which is Thatcham CAT5 approved and has achieved the accolade of being the only vehicle tracking product, so far, to be successfully audited by the Association of Chief Police Officers.

For further information about the Porsche VTS or to have the system installed in your vehicle, please contact your nearest Porsche Centre.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:36 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

I'm not surprised. They usually roll out their new technology overseas to see how it's accepted before rolling out to their biggest market, the US. We consume more P cars than any other nation so making a techno mistake is better if it takes place over there first. Don't kid yourself, if you've done any traveling in Europe (non-emerging mkts), you know they are leaps and bounds ahead of us in many of the technology areas. They deploy technology very fast over there. They've been on broadband cell technology for years. We're still building out our system--go figure.

Quick Reply: Porsche Vehicle Tracking System