Sponsored by:

Jack Points

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 09:27 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jack Points

Tried to clean my wheels today and realized if I really want them clean I should just take them off to get all the crud out. So tomorrow I'm going to the local Pep Boys and buying a hydralic floor jack and that's what I'll do. I'll be able to get to the calipers and everything that way. (wait till I get my new wheels!!) Gonna go the whole nine yards with the impact wrench, compressor, etc.

Anyhow, does anyone know the best and safest points for the front and rear axles?

thanks

Last edited by allegretto; 05-20-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:51 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Probably what you are looking for is in the owners manual. As I remember, there is a nice illustration on the jacking points.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:53 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look under car just behind front wheel (and in front of back wheel). Find the oval *holes* punched into the "frame." NOT the "oval" depressions. Those holes are the jack points for the jack that would have come with the car had not Porsche eliminated the spare.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 224 Posts

Here ya go. The jacking mounts are yellow (at least they are on my car,...could it be it matches my paint???). Also, I use the trolley jack from Sears shown below - IIRC it cost somewhere between 25-50 bucks, works great, and comes in a carrying case that actually fits in the boot of a C4S. Note matching Speed Yellow emergency flashlight.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Thanks fellas, I already know about the sides. I was thinking more about jacking the whole front or back end so that I had access to two wheels at a time.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

From Performance Products you might want to buy their jacking plate adapter,--it will fit between your jack and the body. It's cushioned with rubber to minimise damage to the soft undercoat material on the car.

Dan
Old 05-21-2006, 01:40 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

That's going to be a lot more difficult, Allegretto - absolutely no visible spot in the front (the underpan is pretty seamless), and I'll be damned if I'm going to jack the back up off the engine case...

I did mine one corner at a time. It's not that painful. <g>

If you find a way, let us know.

-don
Old 05-21-2006, 08:47 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Because the P-cars have a very rigid frame, you can jack up one side of the car if you use the rear jacking mounts. Once the rear tire comes up off the floor, continue jacking until the front tire also leaves the ground. Put a floor stand under the front jacking point.

I then repeat the process on the other side, and then have both front wheels off the floor. Then I use the engine just in front of the oil separator pan to lidt the rear wheels. I put jack stands under both rear jacking points. Now you can remove all four wheels.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:49 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

On the GT3 you can jack up one side on the front pad and get three tires off the ground! ( 2front/one rear) These cars are rigid. If you use the rear jack point you should be able to get one side in the air.

Please consider jack stands once the car is "airborne". Safety.
Old 05-21-2006, 12:35 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the input, Tim. I'll try your method next time. Makes perfect sense.

-d
Old 05-21-2006, 01:43 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

By jacking on the rear jack point, you can easily lift the front wheel on the same side. Pull both wheels, clean, re-install; lift other other side and repeat.

The person with the GT3 is correct--but I get very nervous lifting from the front end high enough to get three wheels off the ground.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:03 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

picked up my aluminum racer's jack today at Pep Boys. 1.5 Ton, very cool, small and light, kinds pretty in an industrial way.

Went out to the garage, put it under the rear jack point and in 4 full pumps the whole side was up and ready for a pit stop. very very cool, just what I wanted

I just dont know how to completely clean these wheels while on the car. I have a great wheel brush but still it cant compare with having the wheel off.

gota911 is right though, I suppose the safest way would be as he outlined and jackstand all four points. BTW, I bought four jackstands...
Old 05-21-2006, 05:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
picked up my aluminum racer's jack today at Pep Boys. 1.5 Ton, very cool, small and light, kinds pretty in an industrial way.

Went out to the garage, put it under the rear jack point and in 4 full pumps the whole side was up and ready for a pit stop. very very cool, just what I wanted

I just dont know how to completely clean these wheels while on the car. I have a great wheel brush but still it cant compare with having the wheel off.

Steve is right though, I suppose the safest way would be as he outlined and jackstand all four points. BTW, I bought four jackstands...
If you could, please post a pic of what you got in action.
Also, isn't 1.5 ton about 400 pounds less than the weight of our cars???? Or is the jack capacity listed in metric tons (i.e. 2200 lbs/ton)?
Old 05-21-2006, 05:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

here you go cat-man

BTW, the oil on the ground is not from this car

I chose 1.5 ton because I reasoned that I was not lifting the entire thing

ironically, this "Big Red" jack is blue

Last edited by allegretto; 08-27-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by allegretto
here you go cat-man

BTW, the oil on the ground is not from this car

I chose 1.5 ton because I reasoned that I was not lifting the entire thing

ironically, this "Big Red" jack is blue
Thanks. I guess I just need to crank mine higher to get the 2nd wheel off the ground!

Quick Reply: Jack Points