Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anything effective against "speeding" cameras?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 02:49 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Bravo man! I like that. Another approach would be to aim the onboard strobe at you rplate. Now if the copcam reads off the film plane this wont work. But I suspect they use a rather simple fixed aperture/speed setting and you'll overexpose the hell out of the film..

BTW, if they are sophisticated enough to read off their film plane, your approach wont work either. Well, maybe if it reads your stobe it will underexpose the plate. But it is much easier to fix underexposure than overexposure.
herman,

those things use film?
how can overexposure be fixed?
you a photobug?

best,
jeff
Old 05-21-2006, 03:41 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by icon
herman,

those things use film?
how can overexposure be fixed?
you a photobug?

best,
jeff
Used to be. Undersxposures can be lightened in the "darkroom" overexposures are lost due to the ceiling of emulsions. But I'm sure they are digital as you implied. In that case data is "never" lost of course. But there may be practical limits to recovery. Again, I would guess that even in digital the above applies. Perhaps as a practical matter the sensor (CCD whatever) could be bleached by sufficent overexposure, so that the data is not really captured.

As the Physicists here can tell us, there was recently a debate on whether or not even a Black Hole could destroy data. I believe that even Hawking thought it could, but in the end relented and agreed with the majority that even data drawn into a Black Hole could be preserved.

Ben...?
Old 05-21-2006, 04:01 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

It all depends on whose black ho we're talking about.....and what it is you're putting inside this black hole that you've oddly named "data."
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Perhaps the XPL option with Porsche was what you should have selected:

XPL Reversing Plates 1485.00

First seen on an Aston Martin DB-5 around 1965.

Dan
Old 05-21-2006, 04:45 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by icon
digital overexposure leaves nothing to work with and can't be fixed.
again, a fine point. overexposure that overwhelms the sensor of the camera means the data was never obtained, therefore it cannot be "lost".

However, if it has been recorded, it cannot be lost unless it is completely overwritten.

So you are correct. That's why I think you can cheat the photo radar by the strobe Dan spoke of.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:49 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by OCBen
It all depends on whose black ho we're talking about.....and what it is you're putting inside this black hole that you've oddly named "data."
Did my statement above not register with anything you were aware of, or are you just playing with me?

BTW, Black Ho's in LA have been the downfall of several guys.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:53 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

BTW, Black Ho's in LA have been the downfall of several guys.
True, however both Hugh Grant and Eddie Murphy recovered nicely.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by wross996tt
Drive slower?
If that is the only solution, might as well sell the Porsche!
Old 05-21-2006, 09:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did my statement above not register with anything you were aware of, or are you just playing with me?
I don't dabble in theoretical astrophysics much - I find it rather boring and a waste of time, frankly. Arguments such as that often devolve into battles of opinions expressed by those who are supposedly in authority. And many try to win their arguments by the logical fallacy of appealing to authority, or more formally referred to as argumentum ad verecundiam. Such as by saying that if Stephen Hawking says it's so, then it must be so, without providing conclusive proof, which is very elusive in this realm.

My area of expertise is applied physics, the more mundane science that is used in designing spacecraft (currently) and launch systems (formerly - yes Jeff, rocket science ) - the stuff you can touch and feel and make do what you want it to do, reliably and predictably - that's what I deal with.

Originally Posted by Coochas
True, however both Hugh Grant and Eddie Murphy recovered nicely.
Well, it depends if you consider losing Elizabeth Hurley nothing to cry over.

Last edited by OCBen; 05-21-2006 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Added a non nude pic.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:25 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

I was a physics major. In '76, our department had to rename a conference on black holes to "Are Gravitationally Collapsed Configurations Excitable". No joke.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:24 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

[QUOTE=OCBen]I don't dabble in theoretical astrophysics much - I find it rather boring and a waste of time, frankly. Arguments such as that often devolve into battles of opinions expressed by those who are supposedly in authority. And many try to win their arguments by the logical fallacy of appealing to authority, or more formally referred to as argumentum ad verecundiam. Such as by saying that if Stephen Hawking says it's so, then it must be so, without providing conclusive proof, which is very elusive in this realm.

My area of expertise is applied physics, the more mundane science that is used in designing spacecraft (currently) and launch systems (formerly - yes Jeff, rocket science ) - the stuff you can touch and feel and make do what you want it to do, reliably and predictably - that's what I deal with.

Well, it depends if you consider losing Elizabeth Hurley nothing to cry over.
[/QUOTE)
I do understand your distaste. And your taste too for that matter. She is a Babe

And Coochas, remember what Eddie says,"the Bitch gets half".
Which in his case will be a LOT!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 11:32 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

State of Texas requires you to display plates on front and back. Only a state trooper will pull you over for it, though. Local cops may write you up for it if they pull you over for something else. I've been given two tickets for it over the past five years on different cars. Good luck. I don't have one on the front of my 997S either.

Quick Reply: Anything effective against "speeding" cameras?