Sponsored by:

Built in radar detector

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2006, 10:35 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Built in radar detector

Has anyone ordered a bulit in radar detector in the 997? I would appreciate views on whether it's worth getting. I am told by my dealer that my 997S is slotted for June 1 build date.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:41 AM
ame546
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a k40 calibre (k40.com). It uses bluetooth technology to communicate through the car so there is minimal drilling/wiring required. Your alerts come through 2 blue leds which can be placed anywhere you like. It has tone/verbal alerts as well. I highly recommend getting it with ONLY the front laser diffuser. The rear diffuser is unneccessary. I was told this by my installer who does loads of these jobs. He did the job for $1300 cash. Very, very good deal and it's already saved me once. Search for k40 and you'll find more info
Old 05-20-2006, 01:38 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. K40 is the way to go. In my '06 C4S Cab I have the new Calibre (Bluetooth). The lights are mounted on the dash on either side of the center bezel. It also has a need remote that fits into the ashtray for changing the settings or muting the alarms. Very Nice. I have an older hard-wired K40 in my E55 which is not as convienent and prone to wiring problems. Go for it!
Old 05-20-2006, 01:47 PM
black/terra
Racer

Default caliber over valentine?

I thought Valetine set the standard
Old 05-20-2006, 01:51 PM
boolala
Race Car

I, too, had the K40 installed. It's nice because it's totally stealth. No visible wires just two small LEDs under the dash. It gives you directional information (of the radar) with tone, voice and LED prompts. On the other hand if you look on rennteam the K40 is universally panned. Most of these reviews may be about their older stand alone units, though. There is very little available in the way of direct comparisons betweens the K40 and other installed systems and the K40 and windshield mounted units in terms of sensitivity and falsing however. I have to say (admittedly never having used a radar detector before) just how short to the source the warnings come with this unit.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:59 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

love my V1 - and its portable!
Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

I have K40 in the C4S Cab, and V-1's everywhere else. Why?

When I'm tooling down the 'bahn at speed, top down, I don't want to decipher the readouts. My system LEDs are buried below the instrument cluster and not visible until lit. Chirp goes off, or light comes on, and I immediately know I need to check in.

But if you wanted a glass-mount, the V-1 is the standard. Otherwise, for stealth install, and very good protection, K40 is great. I have the laser defuser buried in the front grille area, and front/ rear sensors in the bumper systems.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 05-20-2006, 06:43 PM
icruze
Racer

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I have the laser defuser buried in the front grille area
DO you have any pics of this. I am looking at getting the K40 but I'm not sure how to mount the front diffuser since I don't have a front plate.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

There are many trade-offs to consider when equipping for radar detection.

The 911 is inherently difficult to build in a suitable detector as they will inevitably put the antennae in the bumper regions,--and being that close to the road, loses the optimal line-of-sight position that maximises detection. When you place something like the Valentine 1 up on the upper windshield to the left of the rearview mirror you get the best L-O-S you can get with this low car,--so detection times will be considerably higher. But,--the trade off is that the detector is no longer 'stealthy.'

So,--is stealthiness more important than reaction time? Only you can make that call.

As a former radar expert for the USAF, I chose to put my V1 up high for the maximum early warning time.

Dan
Old 05-20-2006, 07:50 PM
boolala
Race Car

Edgy: windshield may be good location for a radar detertor but it's losuy for picking up laser which should be much lower. The bumper is a perfect place for a laser detector/diffuser (the latter of which the V1 does not have).

Icruze: here's alink to a pic I took of the diffuser below my front license plate (if you don't have one they will just install it in the same place). It cannot be hidden in the bumper (unlike the detectors) as it needs to have an unobstructed view of the road.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...7&postcount=11
Old 05-21-2006, 12:00 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I just had the latest K-40 Calibre system installed with both rear and front Laser Diffusers and I drive now with total confidence. I highly recommend it for those who wish to drive without any hesitations.

Jay
Old 05-21-2006, 12:14 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's my understanding that the V1 has a laser detector,--but you're right,--it needs to be closest to the front plate and the headlights for max sensitivity.

My logic is this,--the laser is so impossible to react to that I might as well get max range on the radar,--which is more prolific in my area.

Dan
Old 05-21-2006, 12:17 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Cruz, I'm in the Chicago area also like most of the others here commenting. Maybe it's a Chicago thing this K40.

Anyway I also have the K40 and I just don't run a front plate. Haven't in years on my sports cars because I think it cheeses up the front end of the cars. I've had only one cop ever hook me for it. I mounted my lights at the base of the A-pillar however since I like the fact that I don't even have to look down, they are in my peripheral vision at all times and with the top down and the PSE on you can always hear "front, Ka band"

ame is probably correct that you don't need the rear laser unit, but I had it before he related that story. Actually I thought laser was not in use around here but I am wrong. One place where I drive nearly ***** to the wall is going into town on the Stevenson once you get East orf the Ryan. I've gone through there well over 125 on many occasions with many fast cars. About two Sundays ago there was a totally unmarked, kind of ratty looking white Ford at the side of the road less than a block ahead and it just raised the hair on the back of my neck for some reason and I slowed down. Just as I got on the little pedal a Mountie hangs out the window and shot me with a laser gun. He was too fuc*ing late. I smiled and waved and he smiled back. So watch out down there!

Had V1's and Passports of several flavors. This one is very good and I just never liked cords and boxes.

One more thing however, occasionally xenon lights will cause your laser detector to chirp. I thought it was a bad install or something but I called and it's a known issue.
Old 05-21-2006, 07:30 AM
John NY-Naples
Racer

Thank you for the input. I likely will have my dealer install the K40 once the car arrives. I agree V1 is great, and will rarely make my commute from Westchester to NYC without it. I also got a V1 for my wife for "Valentine's Day", who has a real issue with speeding and attracting every cop in the area. However, I hate the visible cords and the loss of use of the power jack. I'll likely have my dealer install the K40 once the car arrives.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:47 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by DJ23
I just had the latest K-40 Calibre system installed with both rear and front Laser Diffusers and I drive now with total confidence. I highly recommend it for those who wish to drive without any hesitations.

Jay
I have the same K-40 installed prior to delivery. Danbury Porsche has a very talented installer that does it at the dealership. I too have front/rear with the LED's mounted below the cluster and on the leather area before the steering column. I really should have had the LED's mounted on the top of the cluster, but it works quite well so far.

Deanski

Quick Reply: Built in radar detector