Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did I Make a Mistake (Concerning Navigation) by Not Ordering the CD Changer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006 | 02:27 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Default Did I Make a Mistake (Concerning Navigation) by Not Ordering the CD Changer?

I have read the PCM manual, and have some questions about operating the Navigation and Audio CD simultaneously. Since I do not have my car yet, I only have the materials I have read and no practical knoweledge.

The PCM Manual says both an audio CD and Navigation CD must be inserted into slot 23. (I do not have the CD Changer).

My concern: I cannot Navigate without the NAV CD in place, and therefore cannot listen to an audio CD while using the GPS Navigation system.

Is this correct, or does the NAV system upload the NAV CD data somehwere, and once uploaded one may listen to an Audio CD and Navigate at the same time? It does not seem logical that the listening to Audio CD while Navigating is not possible without the CD Changer, but the manual reads this way.

IF you may only perform once function at a time (Nav OR Audio CD), then the logical remedy is to have the CD Changer installed. Anyone know what the dealer charges for this?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-14-2006 | 02:40 PM
TomFromCT
Instructor

Dario,

It is my understanding that your new 997 will have DVD based navigation with the DVD drive located in the front trunk. The CD slot in the PCM will be available for your CD's or MP3 disks.

Older versions of nav were CD based and the nav CD needed to be placed in the PCM slot, but this will not apply to your new unit.
Old 05-14-2006 | 02:45 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TomFromCT
Dario,

It is my understanding that your new 997 will have DVD based navigation with the DVD drive located in the front trunk. The CD slot in the PCM will be available for your CD's or MP3 disks.

Older versions of nav were CD based and the nav CD needed to be placed in the PCM slot, but this will not apply to your new unit.
That is how my 997/nav works.
Old 05-14-2006 | 03:42 PM
drbf
Pro

The DVD for the NAV does go in front and any CD goes into the dash PCM
slot. I do not believe the NAV DVD has to be in the tray once loaded.
Old 05-14-2006 | 03:48 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Now it makes sense.

The PCM Manual I downloaded must be prior to the DVD based Navigation conversion.

The only source I did not check was the Porsche car configurator web site, which clearly says "DVD based navigation."

My oversight, and thank you again.
Old 05-14-2006 | 04:29 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

I have a launch 997S (first day purchase) and even then the NAV is DVD-based and its a completely separate DVD player, which won't affect playing CD's.
Old 05-14-2006 | 08:44 PM
james4513
Intermediate

Separate Changer and Nav DVD devices. However, the Nav in the 997 is not very good. I have it, but would not buy it again. Aftermarket Nav's are much better (as well as cheaper).
Old 05-14-2006 | 10:17 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Originally Posted by james4513
Separate Changer and Nav DVD devices. However, the Nav in the 997 is not very good. I have it, but would not buy it again. Aftermarket Nav's are much better (as well as cheaper).
The nav in my 997 C2S cab works perfectly at 11,000 miles.

There was a nav DVD update about 8 months ago which also updated the PCM software, which was on a DVD that was installed in the front near the trunk.
Old 05-14-2006 | 10:21 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by james4513
I agree. It is bad at giving warning and not very accurate in distance to turns. It also makes you go around a block to get to the destination once in a while. I just use the map function and shut out the voice. Wish the 997 had HUD like BMW.

As for the CD changer: It costs 600+ to install the ipod connection (if and when it arrives). In car, you'd have to be an audiophile to want to hear CD quality sound with the highway thump and engine going on. Thing is that unlike the older cars, the CD changer doesn't take up space either way, so really it's just another $650. I never use it though.
Old 05-15-2006 | 07:36 AM
mishref
Advanced

I have NAV without a CD changer ... works fine, The NAV-DVD goes in the trunk and mp3-cds in the dash. I didn't order the changer because I found it useless in my last car, and I plan on getting the Ipod install once its released.
Old 05-15-2006 | 10:54 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mishref
I have NAV without a CD changer ... works fine, The NAV-DVD goes in the trunk and mp3-cds in the dash. I didn't order the changer because I found it useless in my last car, and I plan on getting the Ipod install once its released.

This is the same reason I did not order the changer. My SC430 has a 6 disc changer. I have never inserted more than one disc at a time. I know now I was reading the 996 PCM Manual which I found on Renntech.

Any idea how the IPOD is going to integrate? Price point, release date, etc. That sounds like the ticket!

Quick Reply: Did I Make a Mistake (Concerning Navigation) by Not Ordering the CD Changer?