997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much income do you need to buy a 997

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006 | 12:06 AM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Same story, 99 996, leukemia, 6 months later...
Old 10-31-2006 | 12:25 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by wrljet
I bought my '02 996 a year ago immediately after I was in the hospital for a week trying to die with a burst appendix. I was 47 at the time. I paid cash for the car.

I have one regret. I regret waiting for a medical emergency to realize you can't take it with you.

Bill
Oh, yeah.

Certainly makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever, saving for a financial (or medical) emergency now does it?

I think I'm just going to blow my wad of cash on a Carrera GT and stiff the docs and the hospital when I get sick.

That's the American way......
Old 10-31-2006 | 12:37 AM
frayed
Race Car

get off your pulpit
Old 10-31-2006 | 01:59 AM
lazlo9
Advanced

Originally Posted by eyeslasher1
This may seem like a silly question
bbut I am interested in the 997.
And wondered what people on the list thought
How much money did you make before you felt comfortable
buying a 997?
thanks
jeff

U's got to be ho'in at least fo biznichaz to p-roll, baby. u dig?
Old 10-31-2006 | 02:27 AM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by frayed
get off your pulpit
get lost....
Old 10-31-2006 | 02:41 AM
Lozzy997
Racer

Boolala you have some issues. Your comment had no relevance to wrljet's comment whatsoever; he didn't say he spent his entire savings, he didn't say he no longer had funds for medical emergencies - he said his near-death experience changed his priorities.

And why the heck did you feel the need to add the comment on "the American Way" I have no idea, don't like it here? You know the fix to that.

Totally pointless.

I'm with frayed, quit trying to make something political or ideological or some other "al" out of this.
Old 10-31-2006 | 08:21 AM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by boolala
Oh, yeah.

Certainly makes absolutely no sense, whatsoever, saving for a financial (or medical) emergency now does it?

I think I'm just going to blow my wad of cash on a Carrera GT and stiff the docs and the hospital when I get sick.

That's the American way......
I'm not a big spender. My home was paid off 12 years ago and I'd bet I've saved a lot more than most, percentage wise. The cost of that car was cheaper than most people spend buying their new commuter boxes every few years.
Old 10-31-2006 | 10:07 AM
frayed
Race Car

no reason to justify, wrljet. it's all good.

a close friend of mine, at a young 37 y/o, almost died 3 years ago. It was the result of then not known congenital condition. After recovery, he purchsed 80k sports car. He could swing it, but not w/o some better money managing.

Never regretted it one bit.

Just recently, one of my employees (age 41) told me she may have cancer.

Life's precious, enjoy it.
Old 10-31-2006 | 01:46 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

its a good idea to only buy what you can afford. The determination of what you can afford is subjective - do you have to sacrifice anything else to buy the 997? If you do have to sacrifice anything else, then determine if the sacrifice is worth it. BTW, I paid cash.
Old 11-01-2006 | 05:42 AM
911-4-LIFE
3rd Gear

a long time browser of this site as i love porsche cars, but only recently became an owner. my father is of the muscle car era. he owned a 69 superbee that he did quite alot of work to. he always loved the corvette and only recently purchased a late model one. he is very proud of the vette yet appreciates many sports cars (especially higher end ones that he will never be able to afford. let me state he is the most intelligent man i know, just doesn't make the most money because of the proffession he chose). his love of muscle/sports cars was passed down to me, however i wasalways attracted to the porsche. to get to the point (my point), i think the original question was a heartfelt question as to, " how many people make less money than me, can afford it, and own a new 911?" my interpretation of this question is as follows: he's looking for any excuse to buy a porsche! i thought i would have seen more "go for it posts!" to my disappointment, i viewed more, "i'm a doctor," and "i paid cash for it posts." i think that is great that so many of you can pay cash for such an expensive car, but do you realize you are in such an extreme minority of the populus? i don't think the author of this post should take out a second mortgage, forgo the children's 529 accounts, cash in the 401k, and sell a kidney, but I don't think he needs to wait until he can pay cash for an $80,000 car. life is is short. first and foremost make yourself happy, then and only then will you truly enjoy the happiness of those around you (family & close friends). and yes i'm one of those guys who should have bit it (snowmobile accident/long hospital stay & recocery) at 33, but am now married with a 3 mo. old boy with a 911 in the garage at 35. so take it for what it is worth. tim
Old 11-01-2006 | 08:01 AM
Tedder Bear
Needs a Chuckle
Rennlist Member

My $0.02 ... Have always loved the 911. Could have "afforded" one many years ago. However, waited 20 years to take the plunge.

It was just a matter of prioritizing the important aspects of my life - home, kid's college funds, initial retirement investments, some wonderful world travel, etc. I paid cash for mine, but saved many years in order to do so. Could have used the money for many other purposes. The wait was well worth it.

Each person's situation is different. There is no one answer to this question. It is a decision based on available resource and asset allocation. I couldn't begin to "justify" my decision - it is a want, not a need. I wanted it and have been extreamly happy with it.

If you want a 911, you've reviewed your resource and asset availablity, and determined you (and your family if applicable) will not be detrimently impacted, then buy, finance, or lease one based on your situation.

Then enjoy it
Old 11-01-2006 | 08:45 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

To answer the original question, for me, the comfort spot is around $125K/yr. Every situation is different (I am paying a $3K/mo mortgage in San Diego, renting here in DC for $1400/mo, etc. etc.), but around $100K/yr w/good financing is definitely do-able.

Most people I know think my car payment is crazy, but this is what I love. Some math for you:

When I had my S4 and GTI, I was paying about $1200/mo. With my P-car, I pay $1600/mo and my insurance actually went down. Since I don't smoke, drink, or spend a lot of money on clothes, Starbuck's, etc., the extra $400/mo is a small price to pay for the joy I get from driving my car.

Good luck - if you can get it, do it.
Old 11-01-2006 | 10:16 AM
sharmat
Pro

Also, you dont have to get a brand new one. If cost and/practicality are issue. You can get a CPO car or private sale that could save you bundles off a unused one. There are several factors to consider: how much you make, how much you save and your total other expenses to maintian the life style you want. Then factor in the P-car.
Old 06-12-2007 | 02:59 AM
mdonline
Instructor

I want to resurrect this post. It is quite interesting to read all the viewpoints.

Can someone set up a poll on the networth of the members. I don't know how to do it.

0-100k
100k-500k
500k-1M
1m-2m
2m-5m
5m-10m
10-100m
100m-1B
>1B
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:50 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Cash? Finance? Lease? Steak? Hamburger? Kinney? Manolo's?

The point is that we all have our priorities, and we all have different tastes. I "can" pay cash for my cars, and recently did for the first time (the MDX). But any of us can be driving a Camry. It'll do the job of getting us from point A to point B. The thing that has me at the Porsche showroom is I LIKE it more.

And so you "buys your ticket, you pays your money".

IF you want the car, and you decide you can "afford" it, get it. The "cost" for the 911 isn't $100,000. It's the difference between what is thought "practical" and the Porsche. I mean, should everyone only buy what they have the cash for? Why is Porsche different from Kia?

I bought my first 911 with that attitude: I was reaching the $20000 beyond the Lexus. Because I loved the car. And I decided I could afford it as part of my "entertainment" budget.

Golfers pay more in monthly dues/greens fees than most Porsche payments. Then they travel 4 times a year to pay for hotels, flights and meals to do it at "resorts". No-one questions the value this has for them. I would just make the decision that I'd do less of that if it was required to "pay" for the Porsche, look at my income/expenses, and go for it. Or not.

But to make this judgement for another is kinda silly.

Fun, though

Quick Reply: how much income do you need to buy a 997