Sponsored by:

Venture Shield clear Bra - how high

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 07:09 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Venture Shield clear Bra - how high

I just got Venture Shield on my M5, and it only goes up about 6 in. on the hood - leaving a significant part likely to get chipped. I will be applying the Venture shield clear bra to my C4S when it arrives...curious how high on the hood it goes. Ideally, it should go at least one-third up.
Yes, I've seen other posts on clear bras...I'm particularly interested in this brand and am curious as to the "standard" treatment - if not high enough, i can perhaps ask for a specially cut piece.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:20 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Venture makes the film not the cut. The cut design depends on which software is used. Xpel is common. It goes about 6 inches above the emblem. I have one chip above the clear bra. Next time, I'd invest in a custom bra covering entire fender, hood.
Old 05-01-2006, 07:40 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do a custom full hood on the vanture film. I got it on mine
Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did half the front hood. So far so good. However, I did have some rubber marks from track turds that hit above the clear bra. As long as its doable, why not do the whole hood? Beyond protection, cosmetically, there's no opportunity to see a line across the hood.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kocsis
I just got Venture Shield on my M5....I'm particularly interested in this brand...
Why go with this brand? On a budget? ... Why not go with the best available, 3M's Aerospace.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:51 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

go for the whole hood...it's steeply sloped and can get a chip anywhere on it...i have one 6" from the top !! aaagggghhhh. Also, if you cover the whole hood...there is no ugly visible line.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:06 PM
catalinajerry
Intermediate

I had Premier Mobile do a clear bra installation with Venture Shield on my 04 Turbo and the material
will not cover the entire hood. I have about a 1 or 2 inch pie shaped piece near the side view mirror
that is not covered. Installer said the 997 hood would also not be fully covered. The installer has asked Venture for a wider material and so far, no response.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:32 PM
mr997
Advanced

6 inches is definitely not much. I had Avery Dennison put on mine and it goes up half way. The stuff works fine for protection, but the line bugs me a little. I read a lot of your posts here OCben and thank you for posting such informative insights. However, this is where I would disagree with you. I personally am not a fan of the 3m aero space shield. I work on aircrafts and every one that has the stuff on there has turned color. The vendor that is used here tells us it inhibits all ultraviolet rays so there will be a difference in the paint over time. My friend's car had it on and it changed color to a grayish hue. The vendor would replace it for him, but he was told to not park the car too much in the sun. I guess this stuff's for garage queens.
Old 05-02-2006, 12:38 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

I have the 3M on my 997S, E55 AMG, and Ram3500 pickup. Each one goes about a foot up the hood and around the fenders, with the exception of the 997S that one goes up about 2 feet. It's great stuff and I highly recommend it.

Have a look at this pic. Thats my 3M installer Skip installing the 3M Clearbra onto his brand new 997S in my building a week ago. Just look how fare his pre-cut kit goes up the hood!!!!
Attached Images  
Old 05-02-2006, 06:10 PM
The B
Racer

I have had the clear bra (3M) on the hood (about a foot above the edge) for the 13,300 miles the car has on it, I can tell you this:

1. I still have little nicks every where else in the front and
2. Rocks may penitrate it, MORE IS BETTER IMO.

I would also recommend a bit of the 3M on the rear fender area (behind the wheel) I have some preventable road rash if I would have known.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:20 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The B
I have had the clear bra (3M) on the hood (about a foot above the edge) for the 13,300 miles the car has on it, I can tell you this:

1. I still have little nicks every where else in the front and
2. Rocks may penitrate it, MORE IS BETTER IMO.

I would also recommend a bit of the 3M on the rear fender area (behind the wheel) I have some preventable road rash if I would have known.
I can't agree with you more. I had the rear lower bumper section of my 997S done in 3M the last time Skip came over. I highly recommend to get it done as this area gets it's fair share of abuse.
Attached Images   
Old 05-02-2006, 07:33 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MHC2S, when you said the rear lower bumper portion, do you mean the area from the taillight down or the bottom 4" - 5" of the bumper???
Old 05-02-2006, 07:45 PM
The B
Racer

If I had to do over: I would do the bottom of the back bumper (like in MHC2S's picture) and the inside lip area of the rear wheel well on the bottom few inches. Just a thought.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 PM
Snoopy
Racer

Originally Posted by mr997
I personally am not a fan of the 3m aero space shield. I work on aircrafts and every one that has the stuff on there has turned color. The vendor that is used here tells us it inhibits all ultraviolet rays so there will be a difference in the paint over time.
I just heard this somewhere else as well. Does anyone have more info about this? OCBen?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:26 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Hey, tell Skip that he can meet his dark side family member my C2S black/black Aero etc. I too have the 3M film from Armorglove!

"Skip.... I'm your father!"
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Venture Shield clear Bra - how high