Sponsored by:

Road Hazards & Tire Damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 05:11 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road Hazards & Tire Damage

Had the car in for installation of an exhaust system. When the installer(TKX Performance of Huntington, Long Island) had it up on the lift, he discovered serious damage to the inner sidewall of a rear tire. A strike from roadside debris had taken out a chunk of rubber about 3/4 inch in diameter. The cords were showing. A high speed blowout waiting to happen. New rear tires ordered within 5 minutes. The low profile, high performance tires are extremely vulnerable to impact damage, as well as having short tread life.

The problem here is that the damage was essentially invisible. I don't see any other solution than putting the car up on the floor jack and inspecting the tires after every bad hit from roadside junk. The roads here in the metro New York area have uncountable serious defects and trash all over the place. Debris impacts are inevitable for daily drivers.

This fortunate discovery saved me from a serious accident. Be forewarned.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:54 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much tread remained on the good rear that you replaced?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out my thread from a couple days ago (No tire hazard Ins..is gonna cost me). i had essentially the same happen on the inner wall. cost almost $600 for tire/mounting.
I feel your pain.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:46 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After 8000+ miles of spirited, but not hard driving, the tires have 1000 to 2000 miles left. Going to save the good one as a last ditch replacement, if ever needed. Looks like rear tires will be a yearly purchase, with fronts every other. They say very hard driving can wear out rears in 5000 miles or less.

Two new tires, minor repairs to both rims, mounting, tax, etc. will be $1300+. Glad to pay it instead of the consequences of a high speed blowout, with its possible crash.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:47 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Being the nature of our "Beasts" (rear powered - rear engined) we really can chew up through those back tires.

Good catch and a reminder to all to inspect those tires as you never know what your gonna hit. A mirror and flashlight and just a few minutes is all it takes!
Old 05-01-2006, 10:39 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Michael: Glad you found this before something serious happened! Did the damage cause an air leak as well? I inspect my car's tire pressure at least once a week and just curious if the damaged tire could have been identified by checking pressure as well.

Cheers.

Quick Reply: Road Hazards & Tire Damage