Sponsored by:

My X51 experience so far

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 03:16 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My X51 experience so far

So I have almost 800 miles on my 997s with x51 and I wanted to share some of my initial thoughts on the car versus some other cars I have driven.

(This is all very subjective so please take that into consideration )

VS a 997s [no pse]

The sound of the x51 is to die for vs stock exhaust. I do not feel a huge difference in the pull between the two cars, but their is something else about it that is hard to describe. I would put it down to REV-ability. The x51 just wants to rev and rev.
I would say I can feel a difference in the pull when driving back to back, but it is not a night and day thing.

VS a 997s WITH PSE.
I didnt get to drive the PSE car very hard, but the x51 sounds are pretty different from the 997s with X51.

VS my old 996 [which I just turned in yesterday and wow that was a sad moment]
So, I think the most dramatic difference is the handling and steering feedback. The car turns in quicker and is so much more stable feeling. This is with PASM off. With PASM on, it is just another huge step forward in stability.
There is almost no body roll either. It is crazy.

I got boinked and took the pzero's -- i shoulda insisted on getting pilot sports instead the pzero's complain almost right away.

My 996 with PSE was louder than my x51, but the x51 is still not completely broken in. Jury is still out.

The brakes are also a huge improvement. I can not believe the gripping power of the 997 brakes. The calipers are so much bigger. I didnt realize that until they were next to each other.

There are a few things I miss about the 996. I miss the window controls being in the MIDDLE! I miss that the passenger side window is no longer auto up always. I miss the dial/button that controlled the intermittent wipers .

VS my friends 550 maranello
the maranello wins in the fact that it is a huge engine and the straight line grunt is really amazing.
But I would rather have the 911 because its more nimble and more fun to drive. The maranello is so much heavier and i didnt like the gated shifter very much. In fairness to the ferrari - i only drove it once so far and it was only for a couple of hours.

Thats it for now
Greg

ps. check out videos of my friends and I at driving events:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=dustymcbackwards

ps. PSE is so much better when you disconnect that plug in the back and the car is always loud Sounds SO much better I cant believe it.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea - I think the 997 will become one of the "Classic" Porsche's for sure - esp. those of us with X-51 package!
Old 04-26-2006, 12:25 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by crispenigl

There are a few things I miss about the 996. I miss the window controls being in the MIDDLE! I miss that the passenger side window is no longer auto up always. I miss the dial/button that controlled the intermittent wipers .
Greg - pass side window in the 997 is "kinda" auto up - as long as you're halfway up, it'll go auto the rest of the way...

Congrats on the car - it sounds awesome. Drive it in good health! Thanks for the insights.

-don
Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 PM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The sound of the x51 is to die for vs stock exhaust. I do not feel a huge difference in the pull between the two cars, but their is something else about it that is hard to describe. I would put it down to REV-ability. The x51 just wants to rev and rev.
I would say I can feel a difference in the pull when driving back to back, but it is not a night and day thing.

a little disappointed to hear you can't feel much of a difference

This is with PASM off. With PASM on, it is just another huge step forward in stability.

you can't disable pasm!

I miss the window controls being in the MIDDLE!

me too! big time! i hate the door controls!

VS my friends 550 maranello
the maranello wins in the fact that it is a huge engine and the straight line grunt is really amazing.
But I would rather have the 911 because its more nimble and more fun to drive.

what about a road race? straight line speed doenst make a car.
got to have both the speed and handling!
maybe after break-in you will start to feel more of a difference in the x51?
thanks for the review!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Another quick comment. The sport mode doesnt seem to have that much affect on the x51 car. My friends 997s, you can feel it, but not so much for x51.. sorta odd and i might skip the wart if I had to do it over again.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:27 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by icon
maybe after break-in you will start to feel more of a difference in the x51?
thanks for the review!

I think the 997s would win a race because of the maranello's weight penalties.

I think I will re-compare the x51 vs the 997s after i put 2k miles on her.
Old 04-26-2006, 11:58 PM
AeroSmith
Pro

Another quick comment. The sport mode doesnt seem to have that much affect on the x51 car. My friends 997s, you can feel it, but not so much for x51.. sorta odd and i might skip the wart if I had to do it over again.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 AM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AeroSmith
Aerosmith makes a cameo

I was going to PM you that fact
Old 04-27-2006, 10:32 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

...and i might skip the wart if I had to do it over again.
That should go for all 997s -- base, S, and X-51.

Quick Reply: My X51 experience so far