Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please tell me why NOT to trade my coupe for cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Cytoboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to ALL for your thoughtful comments, and for those to come after this thankful post. It is a relatively difficult decision as many factors enter in. Houston summers are very hot, but I have a much greater tolerance for extremes than some, as an outdoors guy who sails year around in Galveston Bay. Adding the heated seat option will allow me to drive topless through the mild Houston winters. My goal is one car as a daily driver, and as I park in a garage near the hospital that I practice, I am not really concerned about UV deterioration while the vehicle is parked for basically the whole day.

I wonder if road noise is an additional concern. Are there more squeaks and rattles than in the coupe? My track driving is very seldom, with a few autocross events here and there, so I am not really concerned about mechanical differences such as increased body "flex".

I had a regular (non-S) Boxter as a loaner, and I will admit that the feel was not at all the same as the 911. Acceleration was lacking, braking was inferior, and the ride much more "subdued" for lack of a better term. I really don't like the small cabin size of the Boxter, as it feels cramped to me. The shifter was the standard one, and it felt vague and "mushy". The BOSE stereo was much more boomy and less accurate than the 911 BOSE "high-end" unit. Thanks for the ideas of adding the Boxter to the family, but I would get much more bang for the buck having the C2S cab, and keeping it my daily driver.

My present C2S is black on black, and by the way: I LOVE the look of the white cab posted here. What top color do you have? Would smoke grey look as nice as the black. Or what about a beige-colored top on white?
Old 04-20-2006, 10:04 PM
djantlive
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd opt for a darker top just in case something stains it.

If you like the cab so much, get one. The 997TT will be at least another 1.5 yrs aways I think.
Old 04-20-2006, 10:49 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find the Cab is very tight but there'll be a few inevitable creaks and rattles from being driven hard. Road, traffic and wind(especially in a tunnel with other cars) noise are definitely a factor.
As for the stereo system, even the optional Bose system isn't that great once the top is down unless you don't like your hearing. It's part of the visceral experience of a cab at speed. Don't think the cab BOSE system is THAT much better. I researched this long and hard with friend's cars before ordering my CS coupe. Well I also planned on euro delivery in Nov so having a cab in german winter conditions and running on the Ring wasn't that great an idea. Plus my wife wanted me to get rid of my 964 cab if we got the S cab. That will NOT happen.
I also say get the TT cab if it comes out. You'll have the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by Cytoboy
I wonder if road noise is an additional concern. Are there more squeaks and rattles than in the coupe? My track driving is very seldom, with a few autocross events here and there, so I am not really concerned about mechanical differences such as increased body "flex".
I had a regular (non-S) Boxter as a loaner, and I will admit that the feel was not at all the same as the 911. Acceleration was lacking, braking was inferior, and the ride much more "subdued" for lack of a better term. I really don't like the small cabin size of the Boxter, as it feels cramped to me. The shifter was the standard one, and it felt vague and "mushy". The BOSE stereo was much more boomy and less accurate than the 911 BOSE "high-end" unit. Thanks for the ideas of adding the Boxter to the family, but I would get much more bang for the buck having the C2S cab, and keeping it my daily driver.
Old 04-21-2006, 12:19 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cytoboy
Thanks to ALL for your thoughtful comments, and for those to come after this thankful post. It is a relatively difficult decision as many factors enter in. Houston summers are very hot, but I have a much greater tolerance for extremes than some, as an outdoors guy who sails year around in Galveston Bay. Adding the heated seat option will allow me to drive topless through the mild Houston winters. My goal is one car as a daily driver, and as I park in a garage near the hospital that I practice, I am not really concerned about UV deterioration while the vehicle is parked for basically the whole day.

My present C2S is black on black, and by the way: I LOVE the look of the white cab posted here. What top color do you have? Would smoke grey look as nice as the black. Or what about a beige-colored top on white?
i spent a whole afternoon at the dealership driving various 997s coupes and cabs...interestingly enough, the cabs were not noiser than the coupes when the top was up..no more road or wind or tire noise...theortically, the coupes should have less rattles and squeeks than the cabs but I did notice that with my drives, both coupes and cabs are very tight....the cab doesnt look as good as the coupe with its top up, but black with black top minimizes this effect, as the cab with the top down looks great!!!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

I'm still waiting pickup on my S cab but managed to borrow one from the local dealership, took it on one of the worst, flex-challenging roads in the USA (here in Santa Barbara) and didn't get a peep out of the car. Others have also discussed this as one of the tightest cabriolets made,--and I definitely believe it. Don't let that hold you up.

What area of medicine do you practice?

Dan
Old 04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

Its funny, the origial title of the tread was 'why NOT to trade the coupe for the cab' and we have all been telling him that the cabs are better
Old 04-21-2006, 03:58 PM
brownie
Advanced

I love the cab but would never trade my 997S Coupe for one. Track, security, climate etc. Maybe try to keep your coupe and try to find an 964 or 993 cab for those days when you want true Porsche experience without paying $90 grand for it. Then you may just about have the best of both worlds.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by brownie
I love the cab but would never trade my 997S Coupe for one. Track, security, climate etc. Maybe try to keep your coupe and try to find an 964 or 993 cab for those days when you want true Porsche experience without paying $90 grand for it. Then you may just about have the best of both worlds.
i was thinking of this, but a nice 97 993 cab will cost well above 40k, and then add a second insurance bill and repair and maintanence bill and the costs go up...a cab is only 10k $$ more than a comparible coupe....
Old 04-21-2006, 08:17 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you do get the Cab, yes to heated seats (like you said) AND do get the wind screen as it does help to reduce wind noise in the cabin; not that there's all that much to begin with.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:02 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dweiser
If you do get the Cab, yes to heated seats (like you said) AND do get the wind screen as it does help to reduce wind noise in the cabin; not that there's all that much to begin with.
AGREED! The windscreen was included at no charge on my car. I think that is true of all 2006 Cabriolets. You can purchase an optional one with Porsche lettering on it.

Sports exhaust is a nice option too as it sounds so good.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:29 PM
Michael Olsen
Track Day

It depends on what you do with the car. I swapped out of a Porsche for a more "driveable" car for a while, with creature comforts like an open top. I missed the firmness of my old coupe so much I went back and got an 02 996. For me, a ragtop would never do. Not that I don't long for them, but I know myself now, and I like the firm, trackable ride of the the coupe more. You may, like me, find you miss the "real" feel of a coupe. One person's opinion - having gone there and back.
Old 04-21-2006, 11:56 PM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

If you even are asking the question: get the cab.

With the top up, the noise is minimal and even with the 30's in Houston in winter it will warm up fast. The only reason to keep the top up for 8-9 months per year down there is rain.

It is just as sporty and responsive as the coupe. The ride is just as "firm" and trackable." The differences, if any, are slight. It is night and day compared to the boxster. By far its the best "everyday" convertible at any price.

You will need a hardtop or a rollcage to track it at most tracks--so if that's your thing, get the hardtop for about $2500.

Difficult soft top care? Are there lots of birds around or something? My C2S Cab top looks fabulous after almost one year (all 4 seasons) with nothing more than water and soap. This top is a much different animal than the old 993 and even 996 tops.

Taking nothing away from coupe fans and purists, the bottom line is with the top up, you get a coupe. With the top down, 72 degrees and clear starry sky at night, an empty yet curvy road, and the sound of the flat 6 wailing at your back, you get an experience.

My guess is that a decently optioned 06 or 07 C2S Cab will run you about $102-105K with tax. You probably will get $80-85K ish out of your C2 Coupe, so your cost to do this is around $20-25K.

Worth it? To each his (or her) own...
Old 04-22-2006, 11:47 AM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by S4to911
If you even are asking the question: get the cab.

With the top up, the noise is minimal and even with the 30's in Houston in winter it will warm up fast. The only reason to keep the top up for 8-9 months per year down there is rain.

It is just as sporty and responsive as the coupe. The ride is just as "firm" and trackable." The differences, if any, are slight. It is night and day compared to the boxster. By far its the best "everyday" convertible at any price.

You will need a hardtop or a rollcage to track it at most tracks--so if that's your thing, get the hardtop for about $2500.

Difficult soft top care? Are there lots of birds around or something? My C2S Cab top looks fabulous after almost one year (all 4 seasons) with nothing more than water and soap. This top is a much different animal than the old 993 and even 996 tops.

Taking nothing away from coupe fans and purists, the bottom line is with the top up, you get a coupe. With the top down, 72 degrees and clear starry sky at night, an empty yet curvy road, and the sound of the flat 6 wailing at your back, you get an experience.

My guess is that a decently optioned 06 or 07 C2S Cab will run you about $102-105K with tax. You probably will get $80-85K ish out of your C2 Coupe, so your cost to do this is around $20-25K.

Worth it? To each his (or her) own...
A great summary of the cab experience from a cab owner...couldnt have said it better myself!!!
Old 04-22-2006, 12:10 PM
jjl
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

For me, a few reasons I would pick a coupe over a cab include:

the backseats - i would actually want to be able to put my girls in the backseat (don't get a lot of opportunities to drive without my family on board), and would feel less quilty putting them in the back seat of the coupe than the cab, with its forward leaning seat backs.

safety - for the same reasons as above (my daughters) - i just feel like it would be safer being in a coupe than a cab...whether that's actually true or not.

maintenance - zero maintenance/potential mechanical issues associated with the coupe's roof as opposed to the cab's softtop

practicality - i don't use even the sunroof in my current car that much here in NY, so not sure how much i'd actually be able to drive the cab topless.

looks - the coupe's lines look better to me than the cab. this is subjective.

cost - the coupe costs about 10k less.

If i lived in a more cab-friendly climate, say California, i'd be singing a different tune...
Old 04-22-2006, 01:46 PM
steve775
Instructor

I'm pro-coup. As a performance enthusiast, I like less weight, even the removal of the spare tire for a weight savings interests me in the 997. So to have the S-model cab with its 308 lbs (S-model with manual) extra turns me off. Cabs have a less attractive appearance, the coup has much better line. All for what, the wind in my hair and the sun pounding on me? The sun is leather's enemy anyway. I love the sun but if that is what I want I'll get a roadster like the Boxter or a BMW or Mazda Speed. If I had unlimited money sure I'd have both. But if that were the case you might be talking about something even more exotic to satisfy your cab needs.

Quick Reply: Please tell me why NOT to trade my coupe for cab