Please tell me why NOT to trade my coupe for cab

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:12 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
It may sound silly, but I have to agree with oscar94. I think that the 997 Coupe is a geat car (I love cabs myself and have the 997 Cab), but I am not sure that if I had a coupe that I would trade it in on a cab. I think that getting a Boxster S as well(unless you need the back seets of the cab) perhaps a 2001-2002 would make a lot of sense, as you would have the best of both worlds all the time and financially be ahead of the game (the boxster would not depreciate much in the next few years). If you can only have one car, then my vote goes for the cab. I had a Boxster in Rhode Island, and there are plenty of days when you can drive top down. Houston can only be better (I would think?)

Ultimately, WHERE you live is a big factor. I would not own one in Houston,--the humidity is nearly that of the tropics! When in Oklahoma City I found them worthless,--either too hot or too cold. Use the tale of the Three Little Bears analogy.... :-)

Dan
Old 04-20-2006, 02:50 PM
gofor28off
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The coupe looks better, performs better, costs less, & is easier to own. But, I still prefer my cab!
Old 04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the cab looks just as good - even looks better with top down

it does cost more and performs just slightly worse (acceleration)

easier to own? i dont know about that one

love my cab and wouldnt drive anything else

next is 997 tubo s cab - whenever it comes out - hopefully not for a while :-)
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Deven
It may sound silly, but I have to agree with oscar94. I think that the 997 Coupe is a geat car (I love cabs myself and have the 997 Cab), but I am not sure that if I had a coupe that I would trade it in on a cab. I think that getting a Boxster S as well(unless you need the back seets of the cab) perhaps a 2001-2002 would make a lot of sense, as you would have the best of both worlds all the time and financially be ahead of the game (the boxster would not depreciate much in the next few years). If you can only have one car, then my vote goes for the cab. I had a Boxster in Rhode Island, and there are plenty of days when you can drive top down. Houston can only be better (I would think?)
i though about this my self, but I decided to sell my 987S and buy a 997s cab....having two cars means two insurance payments, two cars to wash, clean, service, garage, etc....Idealy, i would love to have several cars, including several ferraris and lambos old and new, a carrera gt, a gt3, a 997 tt , etc..But for one car, you dont really love that much with the cab...the performance difference on the street is imprecievable and i actually think the rear of cab looks better than the coupe with the top down.....also consider that with heated seats and the windows and windscreen up, the cab can be driven in temps in the 40s with the top down
Old 04-20-2006, 04:35 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's spring, how can you resist open-top fun!
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

UV radiation
Old 04-20-2006, 07:10 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've literally done what you're thinking of doing. 9 months ago my boss needed to borrow my other car and I got his Boxster for 2 days. Top down motoring is good for the soul. I then borrowed a friend's 993 Cab for a drive. Same result. A test drive day between Boxster S, 997, 997S, and 997 C4S resulted in an order for a C2S Cab back in January. Car was built in March and I got it 10 days ago.

When the sun is shining (and it doesn't have to be warm) it makes the most ordinary and mundane journeys seem special. And I can't think of a better reason than that to own one.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:24 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Top maintenance is a pain in the *** and the interior gets dirty pretty quickly with the top down, so if you are going to own a garage queen then expect to spend extra time cleaning both.

Other than those things, I've been super happy with my cab. The outside noise is minimal and we don't get super heat up here very often (and it almost never has humidity with it).

I spent the first 24 years of my life in New Orleans and I would not enjoy a cab down there nearly as much due to the humidity. Sure it would be great opening the top to let all of the heat out, but the hot muggy air just wouldn't be much fun. I would expect Houston to be nearly as bad, so I probably would take the suggestions here and buy a used Boxster and get it out of your system.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well at 9 mths and you want to trade? On practical level, if you're waiting for the TT may as well wait for the TT cab. Who knows if they even have that planned? Location is the biggest factor for owning a cab,imho.
If you are thinking financially, then you should just drop the idea. If no TT cab is announced, get the Carrera S Cab next year. 9 mths is a bit short to change cars. Then again my neighbor buys a new ferrari every year! I love his line.." the ashtray was full so I changed cars!" LOL
Old 04-20-2006, 08:39 PM
Soulteacher
Burning Brakes

I'm a first-time cab owner and have only had my car for five and a half weeks, but I cannot possibly see myself ever without a cab again. Like you, I got hooked after driving one at the dealership.

I live in Louisiana and I disagree with the too-hot-or-too-cold view... my top has not been up in four weeks. Maybe I'm just more tolerant, but since I got my girl, I have driven top-down/windows-up in 52 degrees (you gotta love the heated seats) and I have driven top-down/windows-down in 94 degrees. So far I have not felt uncomfortable, although my favorite cab temperatures are probably in the range of 62-88 degrees.

The cab has added a new dimension of quality to my life, it's absolutely unbelievable.
Old 04-20-2006, 08:41 PM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The cab has added a new dimension of quality to my life, it's absolutely unbelievable.

well said soulteacher
Old 04-20-2006, 09:03 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Soulteacher
I'm a first-time cab owner and have only had my car for five and a half weeks, but I cannot possibly see myself ever without a cab again. Like you, I got hooked after driving one at the dealership.

I live in Louisiana and I disagree with the too-hot-or-too-cold view... my top has not been up in four weeks. Maybe I'm just more tolerant, but since I got my girl, I have driven top-down/windows-up in 52 degrees (you gotta love the heated seats) and I have driven top-down/windows-down in 94 degrees. So far I have not felt uncomfortable, although my favorite cab temperatures are probably in the range of 62-88 degrees.

Very well said...actually the humidity in not a factor, esp at night when there is nothing better than driving top down on a warm summers night...
Old 04-20-2006, 09:19 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Wait for the turbo cab. Probably be 1.5 to 2 years to take delivery. Get on a waiting list now. You have bought a big chunk of depreciation already, get some more value from it.
Old 04-20-2006, 09:23 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ronmart
Top maintenance is a pain in the *** and the interior gets dirty pretty quickly with the top down, so if you are going to own a garage queen then expect to spend extra time cleaning both.

Other than those things, I've been super happy with my cab. The outside noise is minimal and we don't get super heat up here very often (and it almost never has humidity with it).

I spent the first 24 years of my life in New Orleans and I would not enjoy a cab down there nearly as much due to the humidity. Sure it would be great opening the top to let all of the heat out, but the hot muggy air just wouldn't be much fun. I would expect Houston to be nearly as bad, so I probably would take the suggestions here and buy a used Boxster and get it out of your system.
Just curious Ron, what extra top maintanence are you talking about??
Old 04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
Cogito
Racer

I'd stick with the coupe, you'd be insanely happy with a Cab and people would think you strange smiling all the time.

Quick Reply: Please tell me why NOT to trade my coupe for cab