Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much did you pay to add Nav later?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:31 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How much did you pay to add Nav later?

I'm getting a nav option added to my 997, and noticed a signficant variation in pricing among dealers (both parts and labor quoted varied). For those of you who have done this upgrade, I'd be curious to know how much the grand total was. I'm about to pick up my car with the nav addition, and I'll share my grand total parts+labor later this evening.
Old 04-14-2006, 09:53 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, i'd like to hear the results as I may do this myself one day.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:07 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I paid $3.99 at Walmart for a Rand McNally map of the United States and Canada.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:01 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

Here's the damage:

P/N 997-044-901-04 Navigation Module $2653.66
P/N 997-622-713-00 Optical Fiber $ 145.46
Labor $ 363.00

As a PCA member, I got a 10% discount, so grand total with installation and 8.25% CA sales tax was $3090.84

The Navteq DVD which came with the system is an August 2005 revision.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:31 AM
useridchallenged
Instructor

A few observations:

I have a 2000 BMW 740i Sport with Nav with a 2003 software update, so that's my reference. I did not have Nav in my 996.

1. The 997 Nav has far more accurate ETAs. It appears to take into account posted speed limits for each road segment, whereas the BMW seems to apply current speed to the entire route, and ETA is always off by 3-5 minutes on any trip which includes significant highway mileage.

2. I live on a super windey road with lots of switch backs. Over a 6 mile stretch of twisties, my odomoeter and the Nav agreed on total distance. Nice.

3. I like being able to record current position as a future destination. I've used it now for my home and a few remote locations where I've taken some photographs. The Nav will get me back to these spots within 10 feet of precision.

4. Rumor has it that the clock in the 997 is kept accurate by reading the satellite time. We'll see. My clock was running 1-2 minutes fast per week, so I should be able to see if this is true or not soon enough.

5. My CD changer used to read CD Text prior to the Nav installation. Now it no longer reads CD text for discs in the changer. It still reads CD Text for CDs in the head unit. This is a bit frustrating - it was nice having the CD Text for the discs in the changer.

6. User interface / menus take some time to get used to, but that's true of most software. I don't find "Dest. Memory" especially intuitive for an address book, for example. There's no quick way to get "current location" (which is an option on the BMW Nav).

7. I can't figure out how to quickly get POI for current location. It seems you have to enter a city, but if you don't know what city you are in...

8. I like the thermometer graph which pops up within 200 yards of a turn - it makes knowing where to turn really clear. It was always a bit fuzzy with the BMW Nav.

9. The BMW Nav gave better graphic representations when dealing with complicated intersections that had multiple off-ramps. The Porsche Nav is a bit more cryptic, maybe "abstract" is the right word. In this respect, I prefer the BMW implementation.

10. Not quite sure what a "Tour" is yet, and why I'd want to create one... Does anyone use this?

11. Haven't had a chance to evaluate the "Diversion" function. Does anyone use this?

12. I like the "Repeat" button, just in case I need to hear instructions and I don't want to take my off of the road to read the screen.

13. The directional display is excellent - I can rapidly tell the road I'm on, the next way point, how far to the way point, distance to destination, and ETA. Very well done I think.

14. I'd like to display ETA in the center cluster display. The BMW does this, and I thought this was a nice feature. Can't get any Nav info in the Porsche center cluster.

15. The August 2005 Navteq DVD provides detailed maps for:
- contiguous 48 States
- Canada
- Hawaii
- NOT Alaska (any Alaska 997 owners out there? If so, you're SOL with the Nav)

16. The BMW Nav worked very well with tunnels and under extended tree cover. I haven't had a chance to really test the Porsche Nav under these conditions yet.

There you go - that's my first impression of the Porsche 997 Nav.
Old 04-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Did you go with the Extended Bavigator package or the basic? I think the Extended will Dead reckon a bit (particularly in times when GPS coverage is intermittant).

Dan
Old 04-16-2006, 05:45 PM
useridchallenged
Instructor

I know Extended is available for Cayenne, but I'm not aware of it being available for Carrera.

I went through the Cayenne PCM manual, and on the main screen it has a nice "Status" option which gives your current location, GPS coordinates, number of satellites, and elevation - and does not require the Extended Nav. But the Carrera nav seems to hide this, to my mind, basic info.

I read in the Cayenne PCM manual for Extended Nav that it takes a bit more sensor data into consideration when computing current location.
Old 05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 258 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
A few observations:

I have a 2000 BMW 740i Sport with Nav with a 2003 software update, so that's my reference. I did not have Nav in my 996.

1. The 997 Nav has far more accurate ETAs. It appears to take into account posted speed limits for each road segment, whereas the BMW seems to apply current speed to the entire route, and ETA is always off by 3-5 minutes on any trip which includes significant highway mileage.

2. I live on a super windey road with lots of switch backs. Over a 6 mile stretch of twisties, my odomoeter and the Nav agreed on total distance. Nice.

3. I like being able to record current position as a future destination. I've used it now for my home and a few remote locations where I've taken some photographs. The Nav will get me back to these spots within 10 feet of precision.

4. Rumor has it that the clock in the 997 is kept accurate by reading the satellite time. We'll see. My clock was running 1-2 minutes fast per week, so I should be able to see if this is true or not soon enough.

5. My CD changer used to read CD Text prior to the Nav installation. Now it no longer reads CD text for discs in the changer. It still reads CD Text for CDs in the head unit. This is a bit frustrating - it was nice having the CD Text for the discs in the changer.

6. User interface / menus take some time to get used to, but that's true of most software. I don't find "Dest. Memory" especially intuitive for an address book, for example. There's no quick way to get "current location" (which is an option on the BMW Nav).

7. I can't figure out how to quickly get POI for current location. It seems you have to enter a city, but if you don't know what city you are in...

8. I like the thermometer graph which pops up within 200 yards of a turn - it makes knowing where to turn really clear. It was always a bit fuzzy with the BMW Nav.

9. The BMW Nav gave better graphic representations when dealing with complicated intersections that had multiple off-ramps. The Porsche Nav is a bit more cryptic, maybe "abstract" is the right word. In this respect, I prefer the BMW implementation.

10. Not quite sure what a "Tour" is yet, and why I'd want to create one... Does anyone use this?

11. Haven't had a chance to evaluate the "Diversion" function. Does anyone use this?

12. I like the "Repeat" button, just in case I need to hear instructions and I don't want to take my off of the road to read the screen.

13. The directional display is excellent - I can rapidly tell the road I'm on, the next way point, how far to the way point, distance to destination, and ETA. Very well done I think.

14. I'd like to display ETA in the center cluster display. The BMW does this, and I thought this was a nice feature. Can't get any Nav info in the Porsche center cluster.

15. The August 2005 Navteq DVD provides detailed maps for:
- contiguous 48 States
- Canada
- Hawaii
- NOT Alaska (any Alaska 997 owners out there? If so, you're SOL with the Nav)

16. The BMW Nav worked very well with tunnels and under extended tree cover. I haven't had a chance to really test the Porsche Nav under these conditions yet.

There you go - that's my first impression of the Porsche 997 Nav.

Would you do it again??? Do you recommend?
Old 05-23-2006, 09:19 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by useridchallenged
I know Extended is available for Cayenne, but I'm not aware of it being available for Carrera.

I went through the Cayenne PCM manual, and on the main screen it has a nice "Status" option which gives your current location, GPS coordinates, number of satellites, and elevation - and does not require the Extended Nav. But the Carrera nav seems to hide this, to my mind, basic info.

I read in the Cayenne PCM manual for Extended Nav that it takes a bit more sensor data into consideration when computing current location.
It is available in 2006 (not sure about 2005) and it is option 672 in the Order Guide. 670 nav is $2070 and 672 extended nav is $2275 so that extra $205 buys you something.

Oh, and both 670 and 672 both work with option 641 ($650) - the electronic logbook which is a feature I'd really like to have. Sadly, I have none of these.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:14 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Did you go with the Extended Bavigator package or the basic? I think the Extended will Dead reckon a bit (particularly in times when GPS coverage is intermittant).

Dan
Dan:

Not sure what the extended package brings - but all the Porsche Navi systems will perform dead reckoning when there aren't enough satellites available to plot a true course...

That's why the manual notes that spinning the tires may reduce Navi accuracy for a spell. Good thing I got the C4S; it's tough to spin the tires more than a couple of revs... <g>

Comparing the Porsche system to other Navi-equipped cars that I have driven - the Porsche system is exceptionally accurate. I rent for Hertz weekly on business, and I've used nEVER-Lost versions 1, 2 and 3 - the latest (Blackberry 8700-style Never-Lost) is pretty damned accurate - but the Porsche is better. The current Nissan system is pretty cool with the 3D view - but it's clearly no more accurate than the Porsche box.

It's a solid option, and worth the $$$ IMHO.

Looks cool from behind, too.

-don
Old 05-23-2006, 11:15 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I meant "...I rent FROM Hertz..." - but you knew that...

My friends call me Monk,

-ds
Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks for the information. How is the clock performing now? Would you suspect that it is getting its updates from GPS now?

Dan
Old 05-24-2006, 08:15 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I recall the NAV instruction guide states the clock is adjusted using the GPS updates......
Old 05-25-2006, 01:35 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

My Nav clock is two minutes behind my cellphone clock...
Old 05-25-2006, 02:20 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, compared to the Lexus Nav, the Porsche is less accurate. I've had a few times whereby it took me around the block to the destination when a simple left hand turn would've done it.. Yes I doublechecked for fun and the lexus nails it everytime and porsche doesn't. Repeats it everytime.
Worse is that the voice command tells me to make the turn as I'm turning. It's slow but to be fair, it's trying to keep up with my right foot.
Also it has a nasty habit of resetting the volume level if left alone for a few days (but less than 7). But it is the only option that is integrated to the car so it's as good as it gets. For people who drive alot and go to new places alot, it's an invaluable tool. One of my neighbors has a 996TT with nav and he's used it 3 times in the last 4 years. That comes out to almost 1K per address. lol

Quick Reply: How much did you pay to add Nav later?