Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 12:43 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Be Happy
Just drive the car you have!

I'm always amazed at our current societys monthly payment hey look at me lifestyles...The money comes in the front door and woosh, out the back door...A bobble happens and uh-oh.

Concentrate on building your Net Worth!
Old 04-14-2006, 01:03 PM
USCHANDPOD
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

College fund for the kid.

Nanny to help the wife (that helps you too)

Adult DVD's and the I'd hit it thread at OT for you because you won't be getting any for quite a while.
Old 04-14-2006, 01:11 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will make no comment on your financial situation. I don't know enough.

However, I would not now, or ever, be happy with your current demo, and if the dealer is going to take you out of it for what you paid, then do it. You'll take a big hit on this car if you sell it later.

The S is a far superior car, and more interesting to drive...especially at PDE, so that is what I would concentrate on getting. Other posts here will tell what is a good deal (discount wise). There are three factors in the lease to manage ( as well as bank fees):

Money factor
Discount on the car
Residual

If you manage those carefully, you can minimize the financial costs. You should be able to analyze the deal without the trade-in (and that will tell you all you need to know).

Now, the cure for fickleness: PDE it will keep you challenged, poorer, improve your driving and you can go back everytime you think about selling the car.

When the 998 comes out, all bets are off.
Old 04-14-2006, 02:05 PM
M A Z N G
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Colm
I will make no comment on your financial situation. I don't know enough.

However, I would not now, or ever, be happy with your current demo, and if the dealer is going to take you out of it for what you paid, then do it. You'll take a big hit on this car if you sell it later.

The S is a far superior car, and more interesting to drive...especially at PDE, so that is what I would concentrate on getting. Other posts here will tell what is a good deal (discount wise). There are three factors in the lease to manage ( as well as bank fees):

Money factor
Discount on the car
Residual

If you manage those carefully, you can minimize the financial costs. You should be able to analyze the deal without the trade-in (and that will tell you all you need to know).

Now, the cure for fickleness: PDE it will keep you challenged, poorer, improve your driving and you can go back everytime you think about selling the car.

When the 998 comes out, all bets are off.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks
Old 04-14-2006, 03:00 PM
oscar94
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh...well if you were only asking about the deal....it sucks! unless they are giving you 0% interest or you are so rich you can pay for the car with the contents of your change jar...you and many of us made a bad financial decision. just go back and get the S and enjoy it for as long as you can stand it.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Regardless, this lease payment seems high. I got a money factor of .0019 (which translates to an interest rate in the 4's). Do some more research on banks and get a better rate. Personally, if you're not going to be happy with the car you have, you need to trade it in. I'd rather spend an extra $350/month on something I was excited about, than $1300/month on something I wasn't.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not goig to lecture you on money, etc., since that is not my place but I do have to ask one simple question based on your statements. If you have had 18 cars in 15 years how in the world are you going to be able to live with 1 car for 5 years of lease payments. It's not like you can sell it during that time without serious penalties. If you are going to lease for 5 years why not buy and then sell if your finances change (God forbid) for the worse or if boredom sets in. Not to mention owning that car for an entire year (year 5) while OUT OF WARRANTY.

So I ask, why not a 24 months lease if you are so set on leasing?
Old 04-14-2006, 05:07 PM
JonT
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by M A Z N G
... The scracthes and burn marks are THAT obvious and they did re-spray one area, which made every thing worse in the rear end of the car. Now the car has positively lost value since it would appear to someone that it has had body work done (tape line near rubber trim, overspray in hard to clean areas, etc.)
It is going back to the bodyshop, ...
...hopefully a different bodyshop. That doesn't sound like work appropriate for a 997.
Jon
Old 04-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts

I am not going to comment on the 'personal' issues like many of our fine collegues have here (and I do agree with some of their comments) but from the 'financial view' of the transaction you have posted, you will spend ~98000 over the 60 months on lease payments on a 93000 car.Agreed that there is -10000 equity from the trade, so in reality it is 88000 for 100000 (including taxes). Approximating the finance charges to be in the 12-15K range (money factors as low as 0.00185 can be had) that means the residual should be about 25K. If that is not the case, then you are most likely getting hosed on your deal.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:05 PM
M A Z N G
Intermediate

Thank you all for your input and opinions. It's good to get different views from both spectrums.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:38 PM
drbf
Pro

Mazng, Kids come first, wait a few months after your son/daughter or both are born and re-evaluate your situation. You may not care what you are driving.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:06 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by drbf
Mazng, Kids come first, wait a few months after your son/daughter or both are born and re-evaluate your situation. You may not care what you are driving.
...and you might not have time to drive your Porsche at all.

Quick Reply: NEED OPINIONS... 997 Lease Deal