Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad Evo motorsports experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 08:40 AM
PDQ PDK CAYMAN S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"how the car pulls" I have not heard that one since my grandfather said it. For those who do not know that was a term of old. How does that horse pull?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:07 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

997S...DAMN I must be getting old !!!!!!!!!!!! ... sucks to be 40 lol
Old 04-18-2006, 11:12 AM
Rolf Stumberger
Racer

Originally Posted by mquattrone
Why all the negativity about upgrades? Half of the messages on the Rennlist Discussion Forums contain questions and discussions from fellow Porsche owners looking for a way to make their cars just a little different than the next guys. Some want a different sound, lighter wheels and yes, more speed. Just two weeks ago MHC2S, you were sold on purchasing a PSE.

While it is unfortunate that Nitelab and others are having problems with their recent supercharger orders from Evolution Motorsports, you have to remember that behind every new product, is a long line of people who have worked hard to get that product to market. For example, VF-Engineering makes the Superchargers and many of the parts in the installation kit, GAIC reprograms the computers to take advantage of all the new power and Evolution Motorsports brings everything together and provides a nice package.

From what I read, the supercharger in question isn't a "few thousand" dollar, 40 HP addition. It's $15,000 (installed), providing an additional 140 HP and 80 lb of torque. No, it's not a 997 Turbo but a the moment Porsche doesn't make a 997 Turbo Cabriolet and until they do, I will consider the Evolution Motorsports Supercharger an excellent alternative.

With all that said, I am sure Evolution Motorsports will go above and beyond by taking care of all those leading edge (bleeding edge) customers waiting for a complete kit.

I for one, can't wait to get one!

Michael
Let me see :

Base 997 S 355 HP = ( $ 82 K (US $)
EVO supercharger 140 HP = ( 15 K )
Fabspeed exhaust syst. ~ 50 HP = ( 5 K )
Fabspeed CA intake &filter ~ 15 HP = ( negl. )
--------------------------------------------
total : ~ 560 HP = ( $ 102 K )

Am I missing something ?
Why would ANYONE buy a GT3 or Turbo ??
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What exactly is the point of such mods??

Impress your buddies?
The stoplight gran prix?
Knowing you have somthing special that nobody sees?

But can you drive the car at 80-90 % of it's capabilities?
Old 04-18-2006, 11:54 AM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by synergy
Non factory installed parts does not void the warranty as someone mentioned above. I just had the complete AWE system (headers, cats and mufflers) and my dealer was fine with it since it isn't an engine mod. There are some light mods that are very effective and can give you some nice gains...
Bolting on a aftermarket supercharger DOES VOID your Porsche factory warranty. That is what mquattrone did and that was the subject. I know if I did this and took my car into my Porsche dealer for service they would laugh me and my warranty right out the door and I wouldn't blam them!!!
With regards do your exhaust. I have never seen any aftermarket exhaust void any cars warranty. My response was towards heavy duty engine mods ( Super Chargers etc.).
Old 04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't put an aftermarket sc on any car still under warranty.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:17 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i am with c4s surgeon unless the 25 k motor is expendable to you ! but it is yours so have fun ...
Old 04-18-2006, 07:34 PM
cmoss

Guys like their mods as much as chicks love their make-up. We change it because we can, all for the sake of change.

Does it make you happy? If so then good.

What do I think? Why would that matter...
Old 04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by cmoss
Guys like their mods as much as chicks love their make-up. We change it because we can, all for the sake of change.

Does it make you happy? If so then good.

What do I think? Why would that matter...
Agreed,...absitively.
Personally I admire anyone with the cahones enough to put a s/c on their 997 - it's a pretty high end mod on a pretty expensive car.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:04 AM
hynesinkc
3rd Gear

Default hynesinkc

I have 1999 996 c4 with an evo supercharger installed by
Steve Kaspar and Imagine Auto here in Kansas City. I also have a fab speed exhaust,cross coil oversuspension,b@m short shifter,pagid blue pads and rotors,sach stage one clutch,giac chip,front and rear aero. dyno at 424 hp and 300 hp to each of the 4 wheels. Very impressive but when I track the car and heel and toe the engine shuts down to 1000 rpm and I have to switch the ignition switch off and on then all goes well until I heel and toe again. Giac said this is a safety issue in response to the old audi unintended acelleration problem.Imagine say they have no clue. Talked to Sharkwerks and EVO and they have never had this problem even on cars that are tracked like mine. I think I am getting a pass the buck syndrome from Imagine Auto in spite of their awsome reputation. Would appreciate some feed back. hynesinkc@msn.com. PS also joined 6speedonline and for some reason can not post replys or threads on their evo thread. I am not paranoid I think. Thanks
Old 05-20-2006, 12:16 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hynesinkc
I think I am getting a pass the buck syndrome from Imagine Auto in spite of their awsome reputation....Imagine say they have no clue
I am sorry I must have missed something. We know what causes this. We have not passed the buck.

I originally told you that you could not heel toe a drive by wire car. This was even before you headed to Heartlandpark. When you were at heartland and had the issue my staff was there to assist. When you stopped heel toeing then the car did not have a single issue. When questioned about the 99 series cars I explained they did not have the ability to close the throttle body because it is a drive by cable.

GIAC writes the program. You contacted them without my knowledge and their immediate response was it is Yaw control not PSM and could not be disabled for various reasons. This was their explanation to you without me evening knowing you had contacted them.

Yaw control is in every car except the GT3. If you brake too hard and are on the gas the car assumes you are in trouble because any street car would not be in a situation that would find this action desirable. It assumes you meant to hit the brake and you are only hitting the gas because of a panic situation.

So I simply ask how can we pass the buck if the car has this feature in place from the factory and still has the feature after you modified the car? GIAC writes the software and they will not remove the safety feature on a registered street car. If you want to come by and drive my car you will find mine does the same. My wifes VeeDub T-reg does it..

I do not think that the accusation you posted is a fair one. This is GIAC's choice not to remove it.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:20 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Hey "The B" Where are you located in Tampa? More importantly, where in Tampa can we use more power than what exists in a 997 S? I gotta know! Not fair keeping this kind of info secret. : )

Jack
Tampa
Old 05-20-2006, 10:56 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have not driven a 997S with a blower find one to drive! We just finished another conversion yesterday. It is a blast. The car from light to light is fast as heck.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:39 PM
MHC2S
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
If you have not driven a 997S with a blower find one to drive! We just finished another conversion yesterday. It is a blast. The car from light to light is fast as heck.
I can't find one around here, I guess the guys in my local Porsche club don't want their factory warranties voided on a 100k car and neither do I. On cars that cost so much the factory warranty actually means something to some folks.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:37 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MHC2S
I can't find one around here, I guess the guys in my local Porsche club don't want their factory warranties voided on a 100k car and neither do I. On cars that cost so much the factory warranty actually means something to some folks.
Sorry but I feel like I need to comment here...
I think making statements about voiding warranties and such is fine - HOWEVER, you have to remember that some of us care about this and some of us don't.
So,...if someone wants to put a blower on their 997, leave them be!!! I don't think anyone who makes such a significant modification to their engine is worrying about their warranty anyways.
Sorry for the

I think a 'good' enthusiast forum should embrace the full spectrum of enthusiasts ranging from collectors to weekend warriors to mod-heads.

Quick Reply: Bad Evo motorsports experience