PCA track events and 4 point harness

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 01:24 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCA track events and 4 point harness

Hello all,

New to the forum and I just picked up a barely used 997S w/2500 miles. I love the car and I am looking at getting to know my car a little better and am interested in running a few autocrosses and open track events with the PCA. I've noticed that they publish full names and results in the PCA mailers. The BMW CCA used to publish full names and results as well. The problem is that the BMW dealers were using this to not warranty customers cars based on them running the various events. Since then, the BMWCCA has stopped putting full names in the CCA mailer and only puts first name last initial. Does anyone know if Porsche dealers turn people away from tracking their car based on the PCA mailer?

What 4 point seatbelts are others running? I would like to add Rallye 4 Schroth harness. I don't want to install a harness bar but would like to use the rear seatbelt attachments. Has anyone ran across a harness bar that is removeable without having to cut anything? Thanks for the help.

steve
Old 04-11-2006, 01:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest posting this in the Racing/DE forum....there is a lot of expert information available there.

FWIW, I would never drive on track with a 4 point belt, too great of a risk of submarining in an impact.

Current recommendations are for 6 or 7 point belts; 5 point harnesses for new installations are not recommended. This was per Tom Gideon of GM racing in a Racing/DE thread a while back.
Old 04-11-2006, 01:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sorry, I just now noticed this was your first post in Rennlist.

Welcome

It is customary for new members to post a pic or two of your car.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:13 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

Well, I've done a bit more research and it seems that because of the integrated head rests, I can't use the Rallye 4 belts. I ended up calling Brey Krause about their Harness Mount. They mentioned that it fit both the 996 and 997. Also the Brey Krause bar is a Harness Mount as opposed to a Harness Guide as well as has the harness loops. I will most likely get the BK as opposed to the Stable Energies. The Stable Energies is significantly cheaper $115 v $578 but I like the way the BK attaches better. The SE uses the top front seatbelt mounts and limits overall travel of the seat and is considered only a Harness Guide. The BK uses the rear mounts along with the front bottom.

steve
Old 05-15-2006, 05:09 PM
tcetta
Intermediate

did you ever get the BK bar. I am looking into the same thing for DE events and wanted to see if you could post the fit and finish. Also what type of seats do you have. did you get a 6 point using the existing mountings?

I was told that in order to be able to use the rear seatbelt mount I would have to cut guide holes in the head rest. I have seen some other creative fixes to this issue, but I would rather invest in a hbar.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:20 PM
stom_m3
Instructor

tcetta - I haven't done anything yet. I kept looking at options and I also ran across the DAS sport weekender half cage with harness mounts. It supposedly can be installed and removed relatively easy for the "weekender" type events. Perfect for my situation because mine is a daily drive and I have a child seat in the back. The downside is that you have to also remove the subwoofer for the Bose system. So it leaves me with wanting the half cage but not wanting to remove the sub. I like the idea of the extra protection the weekender would provide as opposed to just a harness mount or guide bar. I like the idea of the harness mount by BK but it's about the same price as the weekender. In the end, I will most likely start with a CG lock or mightytite for doing auto-x but for the big tracks I would most likely get the BK bar. I hear the quality is really nice and it provides an easy solution.

As for the seats, I have the adaptive sport seats. This will be another subject of debate because there are a lot of people who say that you can not run a harness with the Porsche seat. The design allows the harness to come off your shoulders in an event of a crash. This also leads me towards getting the BK harness mount because it also comes with the set position for the harnesses. So that's all I have for now. I'll try to write again if I come to terms with anything. Let me know what you decide to do. Good luck.
Old 05-17-2006, 05:08 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Just an aside on the Schroth Rallye 4 - this is a DOT street legal anti-submarining harness that also works with the pre-tensioner. Check out the video clips and specifications - amazing how well they work. Because "normal" 4 point belts are problematic, BMW CCA chapters were starting to ban them. I worked with Joe over at HMS and we received data and a ruling from National (Wynne Smith) that the Rallye 4 / Quick Fit DOT units by Schroth were superior belts and that they are to be allowed at BMWCCA events.

They may not work for your application, but the question of 4-point belts being unsafe was brought up and these are not your every-day 4-pointers.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:30 AM
stom_m3
Instructor

Actually I used to have the Schroth Rallye 4 and they worked well. The Schroth website does not approve them for the Porsche seats because of the integrated headrest otherwise I would probably get them again.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tcetta
did you ever get the BK bar. I am looking into the same thing for DE events and wanted to see if you could post the fit and finish. Also what type of seats do you have. did you get a 6 point using the existing mountings?

I was told that in order to be able to use the rear seatbelt mount I would have to cut guide holes in the head rest. I have seen some other creative fixes to this issue, but I would rather invest in a hbar.
If your 997 has the bose subwoofer you will have "issues" with the b-k harness mount. You'll have to figure out how to remove the subwoofer because the harness mount bolts to the top of the rear strut towers, which the subwoofer covers.

If you don't have a Bose car it will fit but you'll either have to leave out the carpet section that covers the strut towers or cut the carpet.

I've got one in my garage (that I had in my 996 Turbo) I will sell, if interested. PM me if you like.

Quick Reply: PCA track events and 4 point harness