Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: BMW 550i

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:16 AM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 106 Likes on 47 Posts

I've had three 5 series BMW's since 97 and enjoyed all of them. Last summer I bought an Infinity M45, lots of room, good power, handling and about 13k less than a 550i. I'm not saying it's a better car than a BMW, just a good value and cool technology such as Voice activated Navi, Blue tooth, rear camera and XM. Check it out and see if it fits your needs. They make several versions, V6, V8 , AWD, sport or luxury model. Good Luck
Old 04-12-2006, 12:44 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Truble10
I don't understand why people had the iDrive. Very easy to use and after few weeks it's second nature. Got one on my 7 series and unless your a computer idiot it's no problem. Just like having a mouse. Unless the mouse for your computer is too hard to use.
Well I've been using computers since the 70's and I think their trees are not as intuitive as they could be, but that's a thing where someone will bitch not matter what.

I-Drive has two weaknesses; First if your wife is like most, she will constantly bitch about it, and maybe even call you from her cell phone because ehe's confused/cant get the soud system to work correctly, and

Two, just wait till if pukes it's guts out and your driving with half your info unavailable and your sound system KAPUT. Happened to me in a 650 coupe. Stayed with the dealer for a week getting it's brain transplanted and programmed. Traded for my Porsche less than a month later.

I like manual things because they are usually more reliable. No auto headlights is a big plus too. Don't need video games while I'm driving except maybe the lap timer feature.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buddy you have tons of options here
Chrysler 300 SRT-8, pull off the badging
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Land Rover LR3
Cayenne
BMW 5 series
2001 7 series
mercedes e class

etc etc
just pick one - any of them

and re: cars at the airport
one guy on the 928 board had owned his car since 87', he was a pilot - never had any problem with it. The only problem is that the paint was damaged from jet exhaust (aka burnt kerosene) as it was in the cheap uncovered lots.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The idrive is not difficult to use, but it is a stupid system that is really pointless. That was one of the resons I ended up with my 911(there were others too) instead of the 6 series. I have been a loyal BMW owner for year, but just didn't want the hassle of such an asinine system and having it break constantly. There is simply no reason for a drivers car to have this complicated crap in it in order to use the radio. I understand the design and reason for it, but reject it as an unnecessry item. Still as a former 540 owner if I were in the market for a sport sedan there is not one I would rather have than the 550.

Quick Reply: OT: BMW 550i