Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aerokit or not

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 12:21 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My car isn't a 997 (I just like to see whats up with the model I plan to buy next). When I get one, my preference is no wing.

When I purchased my 993 a few years ago the car came with a TT rear wing. I immediately removed it. I think I may have left it on if the car was a wide-body S where it fit the lines of the car better, but even on its worst day it would never have been so "in your face."

I just felt like if I left it on it would be like trying to pretend the car was something it wasn't...a turbo. I also felt it somehow didn't flow with the NB lines as well. Not sure I like that big wing on the 997. It reminds me of the same thing except it looks great on the GT3.

Besides a different rear bumper cover is the GT3 based on the wider body car? The aero kit wing just looks out of place on a non GT3 although its less obtrusive on a black car. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

p.s. I did like the big wing on the 997 race car at the Long Beach Gran Prix on Sunday though!
Old 04-11-2006, 10:16 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
My car isn't a 997 (I just like to see whats up with the model I plan to buy next). When I get one, my preference is no wing.

When I purchased my 993 a few years ago the car came with a TT rear wing. I immediately removed it. I think I may have left it on if the car was a wide-body S where it fit the lines of the car better, but even on its worst day it would never have been so "in your face."

I just felt like if I left it on it would be like trying to pretend the car was something it wasn't...a turbo. I also felt it somehow didn't flow with the NB lines as well. Not sure I like that big wing on the 997. It reminds me of the same thing except it looks great on the GT3.

Besides a different rear bumper cover is the GT3 based on the wider body car? The aero kit wing just looks out of place on a non GT3 although its less obtrusive on a black car. I guess it all comes down to personal preference.

p.s. I did like the big wing on the 997 race car at the Long Beach Gran Prix on Sunday though!
This argument cracks me up. So you think that the wing makes the stance that you are trying to be something you are NOT??? Funny, since the wing was available BEFORE the GT3. The GT3 is based on the narrow body 997 (if we can even call then narrow bodies anymore) and how many of those GT3's do you think you could tell apart from the standard 997 at first glance? The majority of the GT3's sold will not be put through the paces that would benefit from the wing just like the plain 997's that are getting them as well......Porsche is now building the GT3 with creature comforts the US buying public wants (PSM, PASM, Sunroofs, Cupholders, etc).

It all comes down to getting what YOU want. It's one thing to not care for the wing and prefer the smooth lines of the 911 sans wing but a whole 'nother ballgame to call out those with it and call them posers. Come on, we are talking about Porsche's and that $80K 997 "posing" as a $106K GT3 is an argument I'm not buying. If this was a Honda forum then I would buy your argument.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:13 AM
meaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
This argument cracks me up. So you think that the wing makes the stance that you are trying to be something you are NOT??? Funny, since the wing was available BEFORE the GT3. The GT3 is based on the narrow body 997 (if we can even call then narrow bodies anymore) and how many of those GT3's do you think you could tell apart from the standard 997 at first glance? The majority of the GT3's sold will not be put through the paces that would benefit from the wing just like the plain 997's that are getting them as well......Porsche is now building the GT3 with creature comforts the US buying public wants (PSM, PASM, Sunroofs, Cupholders, etc).

It all comes down to getting what YOU want. It's one thing to not care for the wing and prefer the smooth lines of the 911 sans wing but a whole 'nother ballgame to call out those with it and call them posers. Come on, we are talking about Porsche's and that $80K 997 "posing" as a $106K GT3 is an argument I'm not buying. If this was a Honda forum then I would buy your argument.
Totally agree. Like I said in my earlier post I ordered my car before the GT3 was shown. "Posing" my 997 with options is at $104, as a $106 GT3, don't think so.. I wonder why so many think the GT3 is a (wider) body.
Gotta 911, why do you like the GT3 wing looks better then the aerokit? Other then the little black rubber strip on the top edge of lower wing, they look the same.. The great thing about a P-car, is we have so many options and everybody has what in their mind what a 911 should look like and be..
Old 04-11-2006, 12:00 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by meaker
Totally agree. Like I said in my earlier post I ordered my car before the GT3 was shown. "Posing" my 997 with options is at $104, as a $106 GT3, don't think so.. I wonder why so many think the GT3 is a (wider) body.
Gotta 911, why do you like the GT3 wing looks better then the aerokit? Other then the little black rubber strip on the top edge of lower wing, they look the same.. The great thing about a P-car, is we have so many options and everybody has what in their mind what a 911 should look like and be..
meaker - You are correct about the two wings. I had to go back and read my original post, because I didn't think I had written that, but I did. In the original post I was "thinking" the 997 Turbo wing but I "typed" 997 GT3 wing.

I think the 997 Turbo wing is much more aesthetically pleasing. I don't care for the height of the Aero wing. However, if someone wanted to GIVE me an '06 997S with an Aerokit installed, well....
Old 04-11-2006, 12:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
meaker - You are correct about the two wings. I had to go back and read my original post, because I didn't think I had written that, but I did. In the original post I was "thinking" the 997 Turbo wing but I "typed" 997 GT3 wing.

I think the 997 Turbo wing is much more aesthetically pleasing. I don't care for the height of the Aero wing. However, if someone wanted to GIVE me an '06 997S with an Aerokit installed, well....
Have you been naughty or nice this year? I'll talk to good ole St Nick for you.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:44 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am still waiting for the wing for cab.
i am a total "poser" in some eyes, tip. cab. with wing....
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Deanski,

Great looking P-car… Enjoy!!

In my opinion and personal review of the aero kit; the pictures here are great, but do not do the aero kit justice. In person the aero kit is AWESOME and makes the P-car look unique. If money was not an issue, I would get the aero kit in a heart beat (instant gratification). Agree, that the aero kit is only cosmetic but the kit makes the P-car looks like Mr. Dearth Vader on steroids (muscular no nonsense in your face). I wish the P-car would come standard with the aero kit.

If it appeals... the 997 (S or non-S) deserves the aero kit. The PSE and the aero kit is a great combination (site and sound)!

2cents
Old 04-11-2006, 02:01 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Deanski- You can park in my neighborhood anytime!
Old 04-11-2006, 06:25 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I would get the aerokit if I was buying the coupe. Buy whatever that makes you happy, you are the one who's spending $100K on your car not any of us here. Also, why should you care what others have to say about your aerokited Porsche?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:53 PM
gr8330
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

After starting this St Nick isn't coming to see me. I was just asking if you thought I was crazy or not for thinking that way. I don’t think any of us are pointing at the other and saying their a poser for having an Aero Kit. The very first Porsche I fell in love with, no sex involved, had an Aero Kit.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cvazquez
Deanski- You can park in my neighborhood anytime!
Thank you sir!

Aerokit does take some warming up to for some.

Deanski
Old 04-12-2006, 12:38 PM
oscar94
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you could always do this....mine came with the front dam but no wing
Attached Images   
Old 04-12-2006, 10:51 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

hey oscar i'm thinking of adding the front aero bumper to my car, just wondering if the bumper is much lower than the sideskirts, i can't really tell from the tiny pictures. thanks
Old 04-13-2006, 01:29 PM
oscar94
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe these are a little bigger

I really like the look without the wing. the front is a little lower than the side skirts but not too bad...and it looks great in person
Attached Images   
Old 04-13-2006, 05:22 PM
997driver
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks for the pics, i'm sold

Quick Reply: Aerokit or not