Sponsored by:

"System Fault" message...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 10:50 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts
Default "System Fault" message...

My car is back in for the same error message it was getting last fall before putting it away for the winter.
Then, the dealer replaced a "convenience module" with one from an 06 car, and the message cleared.
Now, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's baaaaaack...... What are the odds of two modules failing on one car???? Colour me sceptical!
Has anyone experienced this, and what was the cure????
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
My car is back in for the same error message it was getting last fall before putting it away for the winter.
Then, the dealer replaced a "convenience module" with one from an 06 car, and the message cleared.
Now, iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit's baaaaaack...... What are the odds of two modules failing on one car???? Colour me sceptical!
Has anyone experienced this, and what was the cure????
Gunner - I found your problem. Look at the pic of your odometer. Read the numbers backwards. You car thinks it is a 996 - '01 model year! Drive one more mile and you'll be good to go!

Seriously, sorry to hear about the problem. I hope they get it resolved completely and permanently this time.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:44 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotta change your mindset. The car is a computer, it's all connected and it has bugs and glitches. You change a module and it seems solved, everything seems fine, and then a while later it comes back, like a system crash in your PC.

The moment of realization came to me after two tries at the dealer service to fix my PCM/CD/NAV the thing started to crash whenever I used the sunroof button!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eventually they changed modules and then the entire PCM. Hasn't happened since.

I asked the qualified and reputable svc guys when I picked up the car, "Will I have this problem again?" They both looked at me and said, with an expression of mild bewilderment, "we don't know." Scary huh?
Old 04-08-2006, 06:57 PM
reubstarr
Intermediate

Lets take a bit of pressure off the techs though, imagine you get mild heart surgery after a heart pulpatation and the doctor says your o.k to go now and you ask, so will I be alright now. His experience tells him probably but with all the variables he can't be 100% sure so he says Maybe if you do this and this. He is about as sure as the techs are of your health. He didn't build you just like the techs didn't build your car but these days you give a 100% answer and everyone says 'but you told me that it was fixed' even when its another fault giving you a similar light on the dash.
Word of wisdom- Keep faith in the product, the computer era is almost understandable.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:36 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I had the system fault message for the second time. It happened again when I was detailing my car and rubbing the left head light. The servo motor went off again inside the front hood. I brought it in and they removed the system fault with their computer software and are calling PCNA personally on Monday to see if there is an update or upgrade because they have had other cutomers with the same problem. They did not replace the servo motor because the tech felt this wouldn't solve the problem long term. He hopes that Porsche is recognizing that this is an electrical gremling that needs to be addressed. Hopefully there is a warranty replacement of some type that will finally resolve this issue. If you get this error and you know what it is you can drive the car without issue, but do contact your dealer as soon as possible. I will report back after the rep contacts me this week.

Jay
Old 04-09-2006, 05:24 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ23
I had the system fault message for the second time. It happened again when I was detailing my car and rubbing the left head light. The servo motor went off again inside the front hood. I brought it in and they removed the system fault with their computer software and are calling PCNA personally on Monday to see if there is an update or upgrade because they have had other cutomers with the same problem. They did not replace the servo motor because the tech felt this wouldn't solve the problem long term. He hopes that Porsche is recognizing that this is an electrical gremling that needs to be addressed. Hopefully there is a warranty replacement of some type that will finally resolve this issue. If you get this error and you know what it is you can drive the car without issue, but do contact your dealer as soon as possible. I will report back after the rep contacts me this week.

Jay
My system fault is accompanied by the following gremlins:

1/ No front fog lights
2/ One rear fog light (drivers side)
3/ No trunk light
4/ Nav map has "night" background colour, but switches to daytime colour when the turn signal is activated... but reverts back to night colour 3-5 seconds after turn signal ends.

gota911 good eye!! LOL

Old 04-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Speed
Pro

Originally Posted by 1Gunner
My system fault is accompanied by the following gremlins:

1/ No front fog lights
2/ One rear fog light (drivers side)
3/ No trunk light
4/ Nav map has "night" background colour, but switches to daytime colour when the turn signal is activated... but reverts back to night colour 3-5 seconds after turn signal ends.

gota911 good eye!! LOL

Just so you know, the rear fog light is only on the driver's side.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:15 PM
MMD
Banned

BTW, I like the euphamistic warning: "Visit Workshop."

Like call them up monday at 8 AM from a crummy hotel you've been stranded at somewhere and say, "I'd like to VISIT the workshop." yeahhhhhh riiiiight.

Should be something like,

"Sorry, car broken, get service now"

would be more honest. LOL.
Old 04-09-2006, 06:26 PM
ds2k1
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
BTW, I like the euphamistic warning: "Visit Workshop."

Like call them up monday at 8 AM from a crummy hotel you've been stranded at somewhere and say, "I'd like to VISIT the workshop." yeahhhhhh riiiiight.

Should be something like,

"Sorry, car broken, get service now"

would be more honest. LOL.
How about, "Unknown cataclysmic problem. This will take our technicians weeks to figure out. Enterprise Dodge Neon work for you?"
Old 04-09-2006, 06:32 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 230 Posts

"Michael, I think it would be prudent to visit the workshop where I was created. Love, KITT."
Old 04-09-2006, 06:35 PM
ds2k1
Racer

"You weren't using that foglight anyway, right?"
Old 04-09-2006, 07:11 PM
flash1034
Pro

I just had the same propbelm and my Porsche tech said 99.9% of the time, the front "control module" needs to be replaced. Its the little box that tells the computer the bonnet is closed (or open). Warranty fix and the dealer should have them in stock as this is a very common problem.

Flash

Last edited by flash1034; 04-09-2006 at 07:12 PM. Reason: mispell

Quick Reply: "System Fault" message...